O.T. protect your pets from fireworks

Mr.SmartyPants

Jul 2, 2008, 10:27:27 AM7/2/08
yes, many pets run off around the 4th of July, some never to return.
Protect them from the noise!
--
If guns are out-lawed. Only the Out-laws & politicians will have guns.

Al Bundy

Jul 2, 2008, 8:06:59 PM7/2/08
On Jul 2, 10:27 am, "Mr.SmartyPants" <georgewks...@humboldt1.com>
wrote:

I know this is true, but much of it is learned from the owners.
I took care of a friend's retriever over the 4th a couple years ago.
Sara as always afraid of fireworks and would be nervous and run under
the bed or to the basement. It was not my plan, but I took her for a
walk and some kids started setting off firecrackers within 30-40 feet
as we went by. I never flinched as I have heard everything too many
times. Sara's head never turned in their direction. The same non
reaction occurred at night when the sky was lighted up with displays.
If my friend had been home, she would have passed on all sorts of
clues that the dog should be afraid.

Marsha

Jul 2, 2008, 8:32:32 PM7/2/08
Al Bundy wrote:
> I know this is true, but much of it is learned from the owners.
> I took care of a friend's retriever over the 4th a couple years ago.
> Sara as always afraid of fireworks and would be nervous and run under
> the bed or to the basement. It was not my plan, but I took her for a
> walk and some kids started setting off firecrackers within 30-40 feet
> as we went by. I never flinched as I have heard everything too many
> times. Sara's head never turned in their direction. The same non
> reaction occurred at night when the sky was lighted up with displays.
> If my friend had been home, she would have passed on all sorts of
> clues that the dog should be afraid.

Pets pick up signals from their owners - owner nervous, pet nervous.
This is how we trained our lab (who was not socialized at all) to go on
walks. Walk tall and proud, and dog picks up on your confidence and
feels secure. If anything distracting happens, ignore it and just keep
moving forward. It may take a few times, but it works.

Marsha

Rod Speed

Jul 2, 2008, 8:53:56 PM7/2/08
Marsha <m...@xeb.net> wrote:
> Al Bundy wrote:
>> I know this is true, but much of it is learned from the owners.
>> I took care of a friend's retriever over the 4th a couple years ago.
>> Sara as always afraid of fireworks and would be nervous and run under
>> the bed or to the basement. It was not my plan, but I took her for a
>> walk and some kids started setting off firecrackers within 30-40 feet
>> as we went by. I never flinched as I have heard everything too many
>> times. Sara's head never turned in their direction. The same non
>> reaction occurred at night when the sky was lighted up with displays.
>> If my friend had been home, she would have passed on all sorts of
>> clues that the dog should be afraid.

> Pets pick up signals from their owners - owner nervous, pet nervous.

And plenty of pets whose owners dont give a damn
about fireworks or anything else are afraid of fireworks.

> This is how we trained our lab (who was not socialized at all) to go
> on walks. Walk tall and proud, and dog picks up on your confidence
> and feels secure. If anything distracting happens, ignore it and
> just keep moving forward. It may take a few times, but it works.

Doesnt work with fireworks.

Marsha

Jul 2, 2008, 9:13:41 PM7/2/08
Rod Speed wrote:
> Doesnt work with fireworks.

Same principle, but yes it does. I'm not going to argue with you.

Marsha/Ohio

Rod Speed

Jul 2, 2008, 10:23:46 PM7/2/08
Marsha <m...@xeb.net> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> Doesnt work with fireworks.

> Same principle,

Nope, because the pet's reaction to the fireworks has nothing to do with the pet owner's reaction.

> but yes it does.

Nope.

> I'm not going to argue with you.

Wouldnt change a thing even if you did attempt that.

Marsha

Jul 2, 2008, 10:28:50 PM7/2/08
Rod Speed wrote:
> Wouldnt change a thing even if you did attempt that.

I love you, too.

Marsha <----SMOOCHIES TO ROD

Rod Speed

Jul 3, 2008, 12:35:52 AM7/3/08

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

William Souden

Jul 3, 2008, 11:00:09 AM7/3/08
Guess who forgot to take his meds today.

MarieD

Jul 3, 2008, 12:36:13 PM7/3/08
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> And plenty of pets whose owners dont give a damn
> about fireworks or anything else are afraid of fireworks.

One of my labs is terrified of thunder or thunder-like noises. We don't
react to them, of course, but she still reacts. She was like this when she
showed up at our house. She's not unlearning the fear, either, as I had
hoped. I end up having to cuddle her in my lap as she is shivering and
whining.
Marie