SMS to email and back gateway?

m...@privacy.net

Oct 17, 2007, 3:13:11 PM10/17/07
Anyone know abt the sms to email gateways that will
allow you to use regular cell phone texting to send
someone an email?

I guess you send the "system" a text and it converts it
to email and sends it to the recipient....and vice
versa

Does it work well? Who do you use? etc

Rod Speed

Oct 17, 2007, 4:39:00 PM10/17/07
m...@privacy.net wrote:

> Anyone know abt the sms to email gateways that will allow you
> to use regular cell phone texting to send someone an email?

Yes, they do exist.

> I guess you send the "system" a text and it converts it
> to email and sends it to the recipient....and vice versa

Yep.

> Does it work well?

Not as well as a cellphone that allows you to email directly, particularly
on the convenient support for email addresses in the phone book etc.

> Who do you use? etc

I use what the cellphone telco provides, tho since my cellphone
does allow me to send real email, I normally use that now.

m...@privacy.net

Oct 17, 2007, 5:39:35 PM10/17/07
>> Does it work well?
>
>Not as well as a cellphone that allows you to email directly, particularly
>on the convenient support for email addresses in the phone book etc.

what I'm trying to do is get smart phone -like email
capabilities but not pay a big monthly data charge....
use sms charges as well

Id like to send myself emails.... reminders, info,
expenses etc.... send em to my yahoo email acct

Here in the USA I can get an unlimited sms service for
abt $5 a month extra..... vs data plan for smart phone
abt $30 month

Rod Speed

Oct 17, 2007, 7:32:49 PM10/17/07
m...@privacy.net wrote:

>>> Does it work well?

>> Not as well as a cellphone that allows you to email directly,
>> particularly on the convenient support for email addresses
>> in the phone book etc.

> what I'm trying to do is get smart phone -like email
> capabilities but not pay a big monthly data charge....
> use sms charges as well

> Id like to send myself emails.... reminders, info,
> expenses etc.... send em to my yahoo email acct

The better cellphones have an independant reminder system.

And I find I need a pretty sophisticated reminder system
myself, particularly with the more unusual recurrences like
just week days and not weekend days, first monday in the
month every second month etc. I need something with the
power of Outlook on that and emails and sms doesnt have that.

Tho a few of the online reminder systems can do that with sms and email.

> Here in the USA I can get an unlimited sms service for abt $5
> a month extra..... vs data plan for smart phone abt $30 month

My data plan just involves payment for the data
I actually use, no fixed charge per month involved.

Same with sms too, a fixed low charge per sms tho it wouldnt be
that cheap if I used it for all reminders. I normally have 10-20 a day.

m...@privacy.net

Oct 18, 2007, 12:58:51 PM10/18/07
>The better cellphones have an independant reminder system.

Agree

>And I find I need a pretty sophisticated reminder system
>myself, particularly with the more unusual recurrences like
>just week days and not weekend days, first monday in the
>month every second month etc. I need something with the
>power of Outlook on that and emails and sms doesnt have that.

I was thinking of using Google calendar for this.... it
can send reminders via sms (to your phone).... that way
can use any cheap phone

m...@privacy.net

Oct 18, 2007, 2:33:34 PM10/18/07
>My data plan just involves payment for the data
>I actually use, no fixed charge per month involved.

has the pay-as-you-go system worked pretty well for
data?

I would think that data would be one area where you
might NOT want pay as you go. No?

Rod Speed

Oct 18, 2007, 3:18:10 PM10/18/07
m...@privacy.net wrote:

>> The better cellphones have an independant reminder system.

> Agree

>> And I find I need a pretty sophisticated reminder system
>> myself, particularly with the more unusual recurrences like
>> just week days and not weekend days, first monday in the
>> month every second month etc. I need something with the
>> power of Outlook on that and emails and sms doesnt have that.

> I was thinking of using Google calendar for this....

Yeah, it should be quite adequate with the proviso that SMS
reliability isnt guaranteed like the reminder in the phone is.

> it can send reminders via sms (to your phone)....
> that way can use any cheap phone

I no longer need to be able to use a cheap phone, in fact I need a
fairly decent phone so I can use google maps on the odd occasion
that the GPS cant find a new street in my town for garage sales etc.

Rod Speed

Oct 18, 2007, 3:19:49 PM10/18/07
m...@privacy.net wrote:

>> My data plan just involves payment for the data
>> I actually use, no fixed charge per month involved.

> has the pay-as-you-go system worked pretty well for data?

Yeah, perfect.

> I would think that data would be one area
> where you might NOT want pay as you go. No?

I use it very selectively, bearing in mind what its costing.
I dont use it enough to be able to justify the $30/month
class fixed costs for data.

m...@privacy.net

Oct 18, 2007, 3:36:03 PM10/18/07
>> it can send reminders via sms (to your phone)....
>> that way can use any cheap phone
>
>I no longer need to be able to use a cheap phone, in fact I need a
>fairly decent phone so I can use google maps on the odd occasion
>that the GPS cant find a new street in my town for garage sales etc.

OK...what brand/model phone you using now days?

Rod Speed

Oct 18, 2007, 4:29:06 PM10/18/07

Nokia, about to change to an N95 but I keep looking at the price and havent actually done that yet.

The damned thing costs about the same as a cheap laptop
and I keep looking at that and shaking my head at the price.

Bit silly really given that I am rolling in it and the price is irrelevant.

m...@privacy.net

Oct 22, 2007, 5:54:49 PM10/22/07
>Nokia, about to change to an N95 but I keep looking at the price and havent actually done that yet.
>
>The damned thing costs about the same as a cheap laptop
>and I keep looking at that and shaking my head at the price.
>
>Bit silly really given that I am rolling in it and the price is irrelevant.

Yep it is expensive phone!!

Actually tho I keep thinking that maybe Id be better
served with a desktop at home and a smart phone that
could serve almost like a laptop tho.

That what you do? Or do you have laptops as well?

Rod Speed

Oct 23, 2007, 12:05:00 AM10/23/07
m...@privacy.net wrote:

> That what you do?

All 3. Desktops, laptop and smart phone.

> Or do you have laptops as well?

Yep, tho I mostly use that for watching recorded digital TV when
bottling the beer because thats a bit boring, and its the kitchen PC
for the rest of the time, very quick to come off sleep when I need it.

Its not really conveniently portable enough outside
the house except for stuff like a stay in hospital etc.

mar...@myrealbox.com

Oct 23, 2007, 8:57:39 AM10/23/07

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:13:11 -0500, m...@privacy.net wrote:

>Anyone know abt the sms to email gateways that will
>allow you to use regular cell phone texting to send
>someone an email?

Here's a free one called M-Mail:

http://www.connectotel.com/sms/mmail.html