Sewing Machines: Making A Comeback?

rota...@yahoo.com.tw

Feb 15, 2008, 5:06:49 PM2/15/08
While we don't have to rely on sewing machines to satisfy our basic
clothing needs, more and more people today turn to sewing to create
unique, luxurious, one-of-a-kind pieces. Every family has that hand
embroidered grandmother's table cloth or a hand-made quilt, and these
pieces are as cherished as the most sophisticated haute couture
creations. And instead of paying hefty sums to someone for creating
these little pieces of luxury for you, you can develop the easy skills
of making your own monograms, embroideries or even hand-sewn button-
holes - all the little luxuries that make the difference.

With the help of a reliable sewing machine, you can instantly
personalize a lot of everyday necessities. For example, you can create
a set of unique napkins or add a classy touch to your bed linen and
bath towels with a monogram. And with a little practice you can even
alter and mend your clothes.

When choosing your first sewing machine, make sure you understand how
much sewing you plan to do. The honest answer will save you money and
time, as you will not pick a too complex and upscale sewing machine
for your basic sewing needs.

If you plan to study sewing and even recreate expensive designer
clothes to save money, you will need a more upscale sewing machine.
Sewing your own clothes makes sense only if your sewing skills are
high enough to recreate high-end clothes, such as suits, jackets and
dresses. You won't save money on sewing your own jeans, because the
pattern, fabric, buttons, and the time spent will make this pair of
jeans more expensive than any of the designer creations. However,
sewing children's clothes does make sense, because you need little
fabric, and you don't really need complicated patterns.

A sewing machine is a great investment for those who have a passion
for clothes design and like to wear one-of-a-kind pieces and don't
want to limit their clothing choices to what they see in department
stores. With a sewing machine and a little patience you have full
control on where the pockets go, what kind of buttons you use, and
where the hemline stops. You should be aware that creating clothes
from scratch or even amending the existing pattern requires

http://www.dontplayplay.com/html/Bothsexes/20061002/46970.html

Al Bundy

Feb 16, 2008, 6:50:23 AM2/16/08
If your time is worth anything, sewing clothes is too big a waste of
it.
The big savings is in fixing and altering clothes, which can be done
quickly and with a low end machine.

Anthony Matonak

Feb 16, 2008, 8:34:29 AM2/16/08
Al Bundy wrote:

> If your time is worth anything, sewing clothes is too big a waste of
> it.
> The big savings is in fixing and altering clothes, which can be done
> quickly and with a low end machine.

I think welders are making a comeback. The big savings is in
fixing and altering cars. :)

Anthony

Samantha Hill - take out TRASH to reply

Feb 16, 2008, 11:38:08 AM2/16/08
Al Bundy wrote:

> If your time is worth anything, sewing clothes is too big a waste of
> it.

That depends. If ready-to-wear clothing does not fit properly, then
making your own is far less expensive than hiring a tailor/dressmaker to
do it.

If you are an extremely short or extremely tall person, it can be
expensive to buy proportioned-to-fit clothing.

And if you can make a machine washable and dryable garment even for the
same cost as a dry-clean-only one that will last lots longer, you are
saving money there as well.

At any rate, many frugal endeavors would not be frugal if you had to
include the cost of your time, not just this.

Samantha Hill - take out TRASH to reply

Feb 16, 2008, 11:38:52 AM2/16/08
Anthony Matonak wrote:

> I think welders are making a comeback. The big savings is in
> fixing and altering cars. :)

The real automotive money to be made in cars are those unprintable
adjectives who take two ruined cars, weld the good parts together, and
sell it as a used car. :)

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 18, 2008, 1:13:15 PM2/18/08
On Feb 16, 6:50 am, Al Bundy <MSfort...@mcpmail.com> wrote:

> If your time is worth anything, sewing clothes is too big a waste of
> it.
> The big savings is in fixing and altering clothes, which can be done
> quickly and with a low end machine

Only my time between 8 and 5 Monday through Friday has a dollar value.
If I spend Saturday making clothes, the time can't be considered
wasted.

Cindy Hamilton

Anthony Matonak

Feb 18, 2008, 2:31:33 PM2/18/08
Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> Only my time between 8 and 5 Monday through Friday has a dollar value.
> If I spend Saturday making clothes, the time can't be considered
> wasted.

Your time is worth whatever someone will pay you for it. Just because
you aren't working Saturday for money doesn't mean you can't. Lots
of folks work two or more jobs. The time could also be spent improving
your job skills or advancing your education which could be turned into
increasing your wages.

Anthony

hchi...@hotmail.com

Feb 18, 2008, 2:47:39 PM2/18/08

Think of all that time wasted on vacations, going out to eat,
sleeping, and other non-productive activities. :-)

Gary Heston

Feb 18, 2008, 10:55:31 PM2/18/08
In article <l4ojr394v9cu3ek53...@4ax.com>,

<hchi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:31:33 -0800, Anthony Matonak
><antho...@nothing.like.socal.rr.com> wrote:

>>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>> Only my time between 8 and 5 Monday through Friday has a dollar value.
>>> If I spend Saturday making clothes, the time can't be considered
>>> wasted.

>>Your time is worth whatever someone will pay you for it. Just because
>>you aren't working Saturday for money doesn't mean you can't. Lots
>>of folks work two or more jobs. The time could also be spent improving
>>your job skills or advancing your education which could be turned into
>>increasing your wages.

>Think of all that time wasted on vacations, going out to eat,

>sleeping, and other non-productive activities. :-)

...posting to misc.consumers.frugal-living...

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

We live in amazing times, when one person can invent both the Internet
and global warming, then get awarded a "peace prize".

Anthony Matonak

Feb 18, 2008, 11:24:48 PM2/18/08
hchi...@hotmail.com wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:31:33 -0800, Anthony Matonak wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>> Only my time between 8 and 5 Monday through Friday has a dollar value.

>> Your time is worth whatever someone will pay you for it. Just because
>> you aren't working Saturday for money doesn't mean you can't.
>
> Think of all that time wasted on vacations, going out to eat,
> sleeping, and other non-productive activities. :-)

These activities aren't necessarily non-productive but they do cost
money in lost wages. :) It's a decision people make to use time for
themselves or trade it for money. Just because you aren't getting
paid for that time doesn't make it worthless.

In fact, a lot of people value this time even more than the time they
spend working because they use it to spend with their families, loved
ones or doing something they are passionate about. They're willing to
give up the money in exchange for having this time for their own use.

So, thinking your time outside of a paying job is worthless is really
selling yourself short.

Anthony

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 19, 2008, 1:28:16 PM2/19/08
On Feb 18, 11:24 pm, Anthony Matonak
<anthony...@nothing.like.socal.rr.com> wrote:

I never said it was worthless, I just said it didn't have a dollar
value.

Forty hours a week is plenty for me; only a practitioner of the
dismal science would consider leisure time in terms of lost wages.

Even I have to admit, though, that I often trade my leisure time for
money (money unspent) when I put sweat equity into the house.

Cindy Hamilton