Wash and fold-Is it frugal?

cro...@ymoctl.com

May 24, 2008, 11:52:43 AM5/24/08
I live in an apartment with no washer or dryer, Recently I have been
taking my laundry to the dry cleaners for wash and fold. They charge 75
cents a pound and I normally have about 6 pounds. Factoring in the time
saved I consider this to be frugal.
Message has been deleted

Coffee's For Closers

May 24, 2008, 11:04:41 PM5/24/08
In article <a0kg34hbno7brs4l2...@4ax.com>,
jd...@aol.com says...

> many people confuse being frugal with being a cheapskate, if something
> or a service is of value to you spending money on it is not unfrugal

The flip side of that is when compulsive spenders deride genuine
frugality as being "cheap."

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Rod Speed

May 25, 2008, 12:51:08 AM5/25/08
jdoe <jd...@aol.com> wrote
> cro...@ymoctl.com wrote

> many people confuse being frugal with being a cheapskate, if something

> or a service is of value to you spending money on it is not unfrugal

Yes it is if there is another more frugal way of getting the same result.

The obvious alternative is to add a washer and dryer.

"c ro...@ymoctl.com

May 25, 2008, 1:35:13 AM5/25/08
Unfortunately the rules in the building prohibit washers.

demonosp...@yahoo.com

May 25, 2008, 4:20:12 AM5/25/08

The value of the service depends on your particular lifestyle.
Apparently time is a value to you.

People who have more time and do not mind the work wash and hand dry
their own clothes.

In some countries it is illegal to hang your clothes up on a balcony.
It is likely that the manufacturers and vendors of drying machines
bribed politicians to pass this law so people would be forced to buy
dryers.

This is a side point about how frugality is often prevented by
commercial interests.

Rod Speed

May 25, 2008, 4:49:49 AM5/25/08
c rowley <"c rowley"@ymoctl.com> wrote

There is still the other obvious alternative, laundromats etc.

Rod Speed

May 25, 2008, 7:22:25 AM5/25/08
demonosp...@yahoo.com wrote
> crow...@ymoctl.com wrote

>> I live in an apartment with no washer or dryer, Recently I have
>> been taking my laundry to the dry cleaners for wash and fold.
>> They charge 75 cents a pound and I normally have about 6
>> pounds. Factoring in the time saved I consider this to be frugal.

> The value of the service depends on your particular lifestyle.
> Apparently time is a value to you.

> People who have more time and do not mind the work wash and hand dry their own clothes.

> In some countries it is illegal to hang your clothes up on a balcony.
> It is likely that the manufacturers and vendors of drying machines bribed
> politicians to pass this law so people would be forced to buy dryers.

Mindless conspiracy theory. They just dont like the look of it.

Its legal to dry the clothes inside if you want to.

> This is a side point about how frugality is often prevented by commercial interests.

No it isnt, you're welcome to dry the clothes inside if you want to do that.

Melissa

May 25, 2008, 3:19:39 PM5/25/08

<cro...@ymoctl.com> wrote in message

Is that per week? That's $18 a month...it sounds like a deal to me,
especially if they are nearby and you don't have to go out of your way to
drop off and pick up your items. It's hardly extravagant IMO. The time and
money spent for you to wash them yourself at the laundry mat would cost
more.

Melissa

George Grapman

May 25, 2008, 8:39:29 PM5/25/08
I used to do the same thing at one time. Well worth the convenience
of not having to sit around a laundromat.

Rod Speed

May 25, 2008, 9:56:52 PM5/25/08
George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote
> Melissa wrote
>> <cro...@ymoctl.com> wrote

>>> I live in an apartment with no washer or dryer, Recently I have
>>> been taking my laundry to the dry cleaners for wash and fold. They charge 75 cents a pound and I normally have about
>>> 6 pounds.
>>> Factoring in the time saved I consider this to be frugal.

>> Is that per week? That's $18 a month...it sounds like a deal to me,
>> especially if they are nearby and you don't have to go out of your
>> way to drop off and pick up your items. It's hardly extravagant IMO.
>> The time and money spent for you to wash them yourself at the
>> laundry mat would cost more.

> I used to do the same thing at one time. Well worth the convenience of not having to sit around a laundromat.

But hardly frugal.

Goomba

May 25, 2008, 10:00:05 PM5/25/08
It sure sounds reasonably frugal to me. He could be sending it all
through the dry cleaner procedure instead!
If I didn't have a washer/dryer, and it was cost that much for wash and
fold service I'd be doing it too. My time is worth a lot. Yours might
not be?

Rod Speed

May 25, 2008, 11:14:43 PM5/25/08
Goomba <Goom...@comcast.net> wrote

> Rod Speed wrote
>> George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote
>>> Melissa wrote

>>> I used to do the same thing at one time. Well worth the convenience of not having to sit around a laundromat.

>> But hardly frugal.

> It sure sounds reasonably frugal to me.

More fool you.

> He could be sending it all through the dry cleaner procedure instead!

Or he could use a laundromat instead.

> If I didn't have a washer/dryer, and it was cost that much for wash and fold service I'd be doing it too.

But its hardly frugal.

> My time is worth a lot.

Easy to claim.

val189

May 26, 2008, 11:09:58 AM5/26/08

75 a pound? Ya got a good thing goin'. Of course, you DO have to
make a second trip there to pick it up....hope it's on the way to and
form work.

Lou

May 26, 2008, 11:30:12 AM5/26/08

"val189" <gweh...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Seems to me that while they are washing and folding, ya gotta be wearing
something else. Stop by once a week, drop off that week's laundry and pick
up last week's. No second trips needed.