washing rubber gloves in washer

picli...@yahoo.com

Apr 8, 2008, 5:28:13 AM4/8/08
I often use rubber gloves for washing dishes (sensitive skin).
The ones I buy are from from Target for about $6. They last a long
time and are high quality.
Once in a while, water gets into the lining and bacteria start to
grow.
I dont want to throw them out each time this happens.
I tried putting them in the washer. and then try to air dry them.
However latent moisture in the lining cant escape quick enough and
bacteria start to grow.
When I put the gloves on my hands and remove them, my hands smell of
the contaminated lining. Does anyone know of some tricks I can try to
keep from throwing these out.
Thanks

Bob F

Apr 8, 2008, 12:03:25 PM4/8/08

<picli...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

If they get wet inside, just turn them inside out to dry. Just shove the fingers
into the wrist opening and blow it up like a balloon. A quick rinse in bleach
water should kill anything growing on them.

Hanging them with a clothespin so they are open at the top and air can reach all
of the inside should also help.

Logan Shaw

Apr 8, 2008, 8:45:47 PM4/8/08
picli...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I often use rubber gloves for washing dishes (sensitive skin).
> The ones I buy are from from Target for about $6. They last a long
> time and are high quality.
> Once in a while, water gets into the lining and bacteria start to
> grow.
> I dont want to throw them out each time this happens.
> I tried putting them in the washer. and then try to air dry them.
> However latent moisture in the lining cant escape quick enough and
> bacteria start to grow.

Since they're relatively cheap and it wouldn't be a big loss if they
did not survive, you might try putting them in the clothes dryer with
some other stuff. They'd be unlikely to make it through on high,
but if you dry them on low heat for a short time, they might be able
to survive that just fine. I would try putting them in with some
other items that need a similar cycle since dryers seem to work better
when they're not drying only 1 or 2 items. Plus the moisture in the
other items might keep everything from getting too hot.

I wash my shower curtain liner in the washer, and I used to hang dry
it as well, then one day I tried putting it in the dryer on low along
with some towels, and it turns out it works just fine. In fact it
comes out better because it's not all creased and wrinkled.

- Logan

Gary Heston

Apr 8, 2008, 11:11:14 PM4/8/08
In article <c2d39455-b0f9-4b29...@k10g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,

<picli...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I often use rubber gloves for washing dishes (sensitive skin).
>The ones I buy are from from Target for about $6. They last a long
>time and are high quality.
>Once in a while, water gets into the lining and bacteria start to
>grow.
[ .. ]

> Does anyone know of some tricks I can try to
>keep from throwing these out.
>Thanks

Turn them inside-out, rinse them with a mild bleach solution, allow them
to dry thoroughly, and turn them back.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
"The lurking figure of Charles Darwin was observed fleeing the

Message has been deleted

Gary Heston

Apr 10, 2008, 12:03:42 AM4/10/08
In article <8nepv3peq55ogvrmq...@4ax.com>,

Abe <no...@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>>I often use rubber gloves for washing dishes (sensitive skin).
>>>The ones I buy are from from Target for about $6. They last a long
>>>time and are high quality.
>>>Once in a while, water gets into the lining and bacteria start to
>>>grow.

>>Turn them inside-out, rinse them with a mild bleach solution, allow them

>>to dry thoroughly, and turn them back.

>Ding ding ding, we have a rocket scientist in the house;-))

I do live next to a large NASA facility; they did Saturn V engine tests here
back in the late '60s and early '70s, when I was in school. However, I'm
a network administrator, I just work with the rocket scientists.