do-it-yourself Web site?

netm...@yahoo.com

Jun 7, 2007, 4:21:59 AM6/7/07

Can anyone recommend an extremely easy approach to do-it-yourself Web
site construction? I'm looking to put up a simple marketing site (no
e-commerce, no flash, etc.), and do not want to have to learn HTML
coding. I need something that is totally simple for a non-techie. I
see all these free templates being offered online. Are they the way
to go? Can someone suggest which is a good templates-site to try?

(Pls, no offers to design a site for me!)

Thanks.

creativechaos

Jun 7, 2007, 5:46:50 PM6/7/07
Hello,
You didn't mention whether you are using a PC or a Mac. Rapidweaver is a
very easy to use program for the Mac. This is a WYSIWYG program (in other
words, you get to see the actual result of your actions as you go along).

I'm more inclined to suggest that you focus on defining your web site
(content and look-n-feel) in a very clear manner (use whatever tools you
have to illustrate the end result that you are looking for) and then find
somebody to put it for a couple of hundred.

Free templates are usually linked to the programs they work with. You will
need to spend hours to tinker with them to get them to work the way you
want. I'm guessing that you're more interested in the results then learning
the how.

I see it time and time again, people try to design their web sites on the
fly - somewhat like moving the new couch around in the living room until it
feels right. This is one of the reasons that what could have been a one time
expenditure of a few hundred dollars turns into unending spending.

There must be one of those young computer geeks in your circle of
acquaintances that might even do your initial site for free... Look around.

J.P.

NC

Jun 10, 2007, 2:56:58 PM6/10/07

On Jun 7, 1:21 am, "netmo...@yahoo.com" <netmo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend an extremely easy approach to
> do-it-yourself Web site construction? I'm looking to put
> up a simple marketing site (no e-commerce, no flash,
> etc.), and do not want to have to learn HTML coding.
> I need something that is totally simple for a non-techie.

Unfortunately, there is no way to implement a Web site without some
technical knowledge. If you don't possess it and are disinclined to
acquire it, you need to involve someone else, if only for a couple of
hours. For example, you may want to have someone install and
customize a copy of WordPress for you. WordPress started as a Weblog
appcation, but over time, it has evolved into a very good content
management solution for small sites. These days, you can actually
implement a complete Web site in WordPress, with or without a Weblog,
and manage it all on your own... Alas, before you can do it, you (or
someone else) must set it up, which involves using FTP, setting up a
database, and doing some basic (and sometimes not-so-basic)
configuration.

> I see all these free templates being offered online.
> Are they the way to go?

In my opinion, not for you. A template is just a starting point. You
need to customize it to your needs (say, the template has six links in
the main navigation menu, but you need eight), create multiple pages
based on it, and ensure that all links work. This requires either
understanding of HTML, which you, by your own admission, do not want
to acquire, or skills with Dreamweaver, FrontPage, or a similar visual
HTML editing tool.

> (Pls, no offers to design a site for me!)

Why bother? There are about 3,000 free WordPress layouts on
themes.wordpress.net alone, plus thousands more available on the
Internet...

Cheers,
NC