KIDSWEAR - Accessories Increase Ad Response!

jtsr...@aol.com

Nov 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/14/96

I am part of a marketing research company that does research on
advertising for both national chains and smaller businesses, mostly in
apparal.
By the way, this is not an advertisement for our company)! I just thought
those here might be interested in the results of one of our latest studies
that we are making public.

KIDSWEAR - ACCESSORIES INCREASE AD RESPONSE!

The results of a recent large-scale marketing study we conducted on
children's wear advertising show that ads where the models are wearing
accessories (in addition to the clothing being advertised) increase
consumers' response to the ad drastically. This is especially true in
boys' wear, where sales showed up to a 30% increase in some cases!
In all cases in our study, print ads for kids' clothing featuring models
that were well-accessorized sold much better than ads featuring on models
not wearing any additional accessories, no matter what the advertised
clothing was!
Accessories included wristwatches, necklaces, bracelets, sweatbands, hats,
bandanas, and other such items. In boys' wear (8-20) ads, the accessories
worn by the models that seemed to boost ad response the most were those
worn on the wrists, (wristwatches, bracelets, and wrist sweatbands). This
was followed by necklaces of various types, then hats.
The accessories seem to have a subconscious effect, attracting more
attention to the model in the ad and the clothing, as well as making the
model's outfit look more "complete" and appealing to the consumers,
(mostly parents), as a whole. We are still doing followup research on
exactly why this seems to have such a drastic effect on sales. The one
certain thing that we have concluded is that if you sell children's
clothing, you just can't go wrong by making sure your fashion stylists
have your models well-accessorized in your next print ad or catalog!

We also just completed another large scale survey among young people on
which accessories are in style and what the current trends are. The
results compare to the previous study, showing watches are totally in with
boys and girls of all ages, and it seems that sweatbands (head and wrist
bands), which were all the rage with kids in the 80's, are back in style.
Boys and girls are wearing them for sports, and just for everyday casual
dress. Also in style are leather snap
wristbands, beaded necklaces and bracelets, and friendship bracelets are
still very popular. In the "dressier" catagory, girls say chokers and
pendants are the fads. A current trend with boys is plain herringbone
sterling silver or gold neckchains and bracelets for dressier occasions.

BizDoc

Nov 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/14/96

jtsr...@aol.com, wrote:

:I am part of a marketing research company that does research on

All well and fine, but I only see one *soft* number here. Perhaps you could give
us the *hard* data.

Size of studies
By type of ad

Ad response: accessories vis a vis no accessories (all kids)
accessories vis a vis no accessories (girls)
accessories vis a vis no accessories (boys)

By type of accessory

The use of *some cases*, *sold much better*, *seemed to boost ad response* would
be fine for an article appearing in a consumer magazine but are of no real help
to apparel folks following this newsgroup.