[McLibel] McDonald's and Vegetarianism - Same Old Exploitation

McSpotlight

Apr 11, 2001, 11:33:09 PM4/11/01
p r e s s r e l e a s e from McLibel Support
Campaign

McDonald's and Vegetarianism - Same Old Exploitation

Some years ago McDonald's began introducing McVeggie burgers into its
stores in various countries (including a whole range of vegetarian food in
India), often on a trial basis. This is no surprise as the corporation has
been heavily targetted all over the world for many years by a wide range of
movements, including the opponents of animal cruelty. It now seems that
they plan much more extensive availability and marketing for the McVeggie
burger product, including in the US. But is this something to be welcomed,
ignored or derided?

McDonalds' always have been and always will be dedicated to the
accumulation of profits for their shareholders - profits from the
systematic mass exploitation of workers, from evironmentally-destructive
and anti-social agribusiness, the promotion of mass-produced and processed
junk food (including meat products) wrapped in wasteful and damaging
packaging materials, and the mass manipulation of people (including kids)
through marketing.

Part of its marketing strategy since the mid-1980s has been to try to
neutralise public criticisms and opposition by trumpeting a few cosmetic
changes to its menu or practices, and by 'sponsoring' or allying themselves
with various high profile events and organisations (relating to the
environment, dietary
health, litter, children etc).

McDonalds' selling of veggieburgers just means that they believe that there
is a market to exploit and control - that is vegetarians. They wish to
exploit this market, as well as exploit those who eat meat. Capitalism
works hard to ensure that all human needs can be reduced to a market to
exploit, rather than
allow or accept people's efforts to fulfil their own needs (by growing,
preparing or cooking, or sharing the food they eat). Vegetarians have an
impressive tradition of self-activity and concern for the wider issues of
eating food - this means that the vegetarian tradition contains strong
tendencies to inspire and
educate people about the need to oppose exploitation in all its forms, and
to see that there are real alternative solutions to the problems we face in
society.

Attempts by McDonalds' (and other capitalist organisations) to encourage
vegetarians to become passive consumers of their products can therefore be
seen as a direct challenge to the independence, integrity and humanity of
those who oppose animal
cruelty.

Meanwhile McDonald's continues to be the world's largest single user and
promotor of meat products, and therefore responsible for animal cruelty on
a huge scale.

In the same way, the Corporation continues to be responsible for a wide
range of oppressive and exploitative business practices in its pursuit of
ever-greater profits and influence.

Rather than be impressed or conned by any new, standardised, mass-produced
Corporate product, let's continue the search for alternative solutions and
methods which will empower people at the grass roots and promote a vision
of a future without the current mass exploitation and oppression of all
people, animals and the
environment.

McDonald's must be abolished.

It has been suggested that if people wish to put 'demands' to McDonalds,
they could demand that every store be turned into a public toilet - a
facility sorely needed in every high street. We say, let local communities
decide!

Meanwhile, we should do our utmost to expose the obnoxious and fundamental
realities of all institutions based on profiteering or domination, and let
the public draw their own conclusions about how to help reclaim control
over their lives and
communities.

This is what the global anti-McDonald's campaign has generally been about -
focussing on McDonald's as a symbol of the whole profit and power mentality
and how it affects our day to day lives. That is why we fought so hard in
the McLibel battle.

In solidarity,

McLibel Support Campaign

contact details
McLibel Support Campaign
5 Caledonian Road, London, N1 9DX, UK.
Tel/Fax: +44 (207) 713 1269
E-mail: mcl...@globalnet.co.uk
Web: http://www.mcspotlight.org

Cheers

--
McSpotlight: Part of the McInformation Network
DR: http://www.mcspotlight.org/DR/index.shtml

Email List:
get on: send blank mail to list-su...@mclibel.org
get off: send blank mail to list-uns...@mclibel.org