Former Skeptics Call for Action on Warming – Bush Silent

smiley...@linuxmail.org

Sep 26, 2006, 6:10:40 PM9/26/06
http://to-the-dome.blogspot.com/2006/09/former-skeptics-call-for-action-on.html

Tuesday, September 26, 2006
Former Skeptics Call for Action on Warming Bush Silent

Thanks to Al Gores An Inconvenient Truth, along with Katrina and this summers blistering heat waves, the threats posed by global warming have morphed from a far-fetched possibility to a clear and present danger in the minds of voters, scientists, politicians and theologians. Even those who previously scoffed at the notion are true believers now:

* It is getting hotter, and the icecaps are melting and there is a build-up of carbon dioxide in the air. We really need to address the burning of fossil fuels. If we are contributing to the destruction of this planet, we need to do something about it, said Rev. Pat Robertson on a recent broadcast of the 700 Club. He also added that the recent heat waves had made a convert out of him on the issue.1

* science has changed from ambiguous to near-unanimous. As an environmental commentator, I have a long record of opposing alarmism. But based on the data, Im now switching sides regarding global warming, from skeptic to convert. Gregg Easterbrook of the Brookings Institution and senior editor of The New Republic.2

* Representative Bob Inglis (R-NC and chairman of the House Science Research subcommittee) says he pooh-poohed global warming until a trip to the South Pole in January convinced him otherwise. I think we should all be concerned. There are more and more Republicans willing to stop laughing at climate change who are ready to get serious about reclaiming their heritage as conservationists.3

* I was a certified global warming skeptic[but] I eventually came to the judgment that I was wrong and global warming was real, largely caused by human activities and profoundly changing the planet on which we live, admitted Stu Ostro, senior meteorologist and director of weather communications for The Weather Channel.4

* I used to be skepticalbut now Im absolutely convinced that the world is spiraling out of control. CO2 is like a brushfire that gets bigger and bigger every year. Richard Branson, founder of The Virgin Group.5

* A national LA Times/Bloomberg poll conducted in July found that 74 percent of Americans consider global warming a serious problem and want the government to do more to solve it.6

The Bush administration's response? Silence. President Bush remains resolutely incurious while the planet heats.

Take Action - sign the petition to put a cap on global warming
http://action.foe.org/petition.jsp?petition_KEY=308&t=act.dwt

SOURCE: Bush Greenwatch
http://www.bushgreenwatch.org/mt_archives/000318.php