Mayor of London's message for Holocaust Memorial Day

Michael Givel

Jan 24, 2007, 9:04:40 AM1/24/07
http://www.london.gov.uk/view_press_release.jsp?releaseid=10573

Press Release

Mayor of London's message for Holocaust Memorial Day 23-1-2007 035

This week, events are taking place across the country to mark Holocaust
Memorial Day, which falls on 27 January 2007.

The Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, who is taking part in the annual
City Hall ceremony, which is taking place today, said:

'The Holocaust was a racial crime against the Jewish people of industrial
proportions. By reminding ourselves of the Holocaust each year through
Holocaust Memorial Day we reiterate our commitment to saying 'never
again'.

'This year's theme 'the Dignity of Difference' is particularly relevant
to a city like London. The character of our city depends on the principle
that you should be free to live life the way you choose provided you do
not infringe the rights of others. The Holocaust against the Jews, which
also saw the imprisonment and murder of many others who did not conform
to the Nazis' evil and twisted view of society, teaches each successive
generation that hatred, discrimination and lies about one section of
society are a danger to everyone.

'To protect our common freedoms we have to resist racist hatred and
dehumanisation towards all groups in our society.

'Anti-Semitism is not merely something from the past. In addition to
remembering all those who were killed in the Holocaust - both Jewish and
non-Jewish - it is right that we restate our opposition to all forms of
racism and hatred including present-day anti-Semitism.'

Holocaust Memorial Day commemorates all of the communities that suffered
as a result of the Holocaust and Nazi persecution and demonstrates that
the Holocaust is relevant to everyone in the UK today. This year is the
60th anniversary of Auschwitz survivors being freed.

At the City Hall ceremony, which is a joint event with the London
Assembly, special guests will include Trude Levi, a Holocaust survivor,
who will give a testimony drawing on her experiences at the
Auschwitz-Birkenau and Hessisch-Lichtenau concentration camps.

The event will be opened by Brian Coleman, Chairman of the London
Assembly, and will include readings by the Mayor, plus contributions from
Rabbis Barry Marcus and Tony Bayfield. The Jewish Free School Choir and
renowned cellist, Sagi Hartov will provide music. London school pupils
will read a Statement of Commitment and a Memorial Candle will be lit.

Event: Holocaust Memorial Day Ceremony Date: Tuesday 23 January 2007
Time: 12pm - 12.45pm Venue: The Chamber, City Hall, The Queen's Walk,
London, SE1 2AA

Notes to Editors

Holocaust Memorial Day is about commemorating all of the communities who
suffered as a result of the Holocaust and Nazi persecution, and
demonstrating that the Holocaust is relevant to everyone in the UK today.
The day provides a focus - through the national and local events and
activities - for people to think about the continuing repercussions of
the Holocaust and more recent genocides on our society. Holocaust
Memorial Day is on 27th January. This date was chosen as it is the
anniversary of the liberation of the Nazi concentration and extermination
camp, Auschwitz-Birkenau, seen as a powerful symbol of the horrors of the
Holocaust. For more information there is a website: www.hmd.org.uk.