MEXICO RESOURCES ON INTERNET

1 view

Paul Houle

Feb 14, 1995, 12:18:19 PM2/14/95
<< I got this by E-mail from Jose. - Paul >>

Mexico Resources on the Internet. Updated: 2/10/95

I have compiled a summary of electronic lists regarding Mexico and Mexican
issues on the Internet. As can be observed in this list, the number of
discussion forums about Mexico is rapidly increasing, in some cases with
some lists duplicating efforts or subjects already covered in other
forums, which results in an improductive segmentation of audiences. I am
sending this summary to the Mexican lists in order to inform members of
the available discussion forums regarding Mexico on the Internet, and
hopefully to encourage the merging of lists, sharing of audiences, or
clarification of lists objectives. Most of the lists shown here are
bilingual (spanish-english). Note to list-owners: If you want to add,
modify or change anything about your list description, please e-mail
directly to me. Jose A. Briones brio...@ttown.apci.com
CHIAPAS-L: Chiapas Discussion.
Owners: Arturo Grunstein<gru...@profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx> and
Nicole Wolf <wo...@profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx>.
Members: ~400.
Languages: Spanish and English.

CHIAPAS-L is an open, unmoderated discussion list concerning the
conflict in the state of Chiapas, Mexico and its ongoing status.
New papers on the subject are welcome. Press releases are also covered.
Archives of CHIAPAS-L mail items are kept in monthly files. You may
obtain a list of files in the archives by sending the command:
index CHIAPAS-L

in the BODY of e-mail to "majo...@profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx"

To subscribe, send the command

sub chiapas-l yourfirstname yourlastname

in the BODY of a mail message to "majo...@profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx"

For example: sub chiapas-l Kukulkan

To delete your subscription to the list, send the command: unsub chiapas-l

in the BODY of a mail message to "majo...@profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx"

Post Messages to: Chia...@profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx

The CHIAPAS list is archived at: gopher profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx
path: foros locales/Chiapas
or path: foros locales/Mexico94 (for mexico news)

1) Para inscribirse a la lista de Conacyt, hay que enviar un mensaje
al administrador a: conacyt...@cs.indiana.edu
El administrador es Ignacio Celis. No hay forma "automatica"
de darse de alta.
EDUCACION PROFMEXIS Forum on Mexican Higher Education
In this PROFMEXIS forum, we would like to open for debate university crisis,
higher educational quality, current higher education policy, and their histor
ical antecendents. Fairly new list.
1. Para subcribirse al foro. -Enviar un correo electronico a:

majo...@profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx

-En el mensaje indicar (NO en el SUBJECT):

subscribe educacion direccion_electronica

Ej.) subscribe educacion arm...@profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx

2. Para participar en el foro.- Enviar un mensaje de correo a la direccion:

educ...@profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx

Owners: Arturo Grunstein gru...@profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx
Nicole Wolf wo...@profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx
FRONTERA PROFMEXIS Forum on U.S.-Mexican Border Issues Spanish-English
Immigration.
Medio, Infraestructura, Relaciones Chicano-Mexicano.."
Research on U.S.-Mexico Border area:
1. management of urban services and policy planning in the greater me
tropolitan area;
2. water, hazardous waste, and public policy;
3. environmental pollution and health issues;
4. public housing, irregular settlementss, and the informal sector.
Fairly new list.

1. Para subcribirse al foro. -Enviar un correo electronico a:

majo...@profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx

-En el mensaje indicar (NO en el SUBJECT):

subscribe frontera direccion_electronica
Ej.) subscribe frontera arm...@profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx

2. Para participar en el foro. Enviar un mensaje de correo a la direccion:

fron...@profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx

Owners: Arturo Grunstein gru...@profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx
Nicole Wolf wo...@profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx
saying: Subscribe Mexico-L e-mail address
To post messages: <mexi...@udlapvms.pue.udlap.mx>.
NOTE: This list is currently being resucitated from a hiatus
caused by technical problems. If you have problems with the
list, or if you are a member and have not received any messages
in the past month, please contact the list owners.
This list is the Grandaddy of all Mexican discussion lists. Started
activity at tecmtyvm on or before 1989. Later moved to udlapvms.
~350 members. Did not stick to any particular subject.
Owners: Luis Gerardo Marin: lgm...@udlapvms.pue.udlap.mx
Alfredo de Regil: Alf...@udlapvms.pue.udlap.mx
Mexico discussion group formed by scholars of New Mexico State Univ.
Mex...@nmsu.edu. Open only to NMSU faculty,students and staff.
MEXICO94:
List established in April 1994 to discuss the political transitions in
Mexico--rebellion, assasination, Elections, political parties,
prospects for democracy. Social changes and economic consequences of
government policies, NAFTA, Exchange rates, Mexican economy, peso.
Also includes informal Mexican news services provided by list members
Members: ~375. Fairly active list. English-Spanish.
>>> Discussions limited to subjects covered by forum<<<.
Messages from this list get regularly reposted/copied to the
USENET newsgroup soc.culture.mexican

Listowners: Arturo Grunstein <gru...@profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx>
and Nicole Wolf <wo...@profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx>.

1. To Subscribe, send a message to:

majo...@profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx

-Indicating in the body of the message (not in the subject)

subscribe listname e-mailaddress
Ej.) subscribe mexico94 arm...@profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx

2. To participate, send a message to:

mexi...@profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx

4. To unsubscribe, send a message to::

majo...@profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx

-Indicating in the body of the message (not in the subject):

unsubscribe mexico94

Note: do not write the name of the user
MEXPAZ Information Service
Mexpaz will form an editorial team whch will produce the
information and analysis and translate them into English. Each
week there will be a new number of a bulletin in three
chapters, entitled: National Information, General Analysis and
Chiapas. As well, we shall provide a forum for questions to
do with solidarity and action alerts that will be called: Solidarity.

2) The bulletin will be sent from the Iberoamerican
University here in Mexico City to all those who want it once
they have subscribed to this service (cost free). The
technical details for subscription are below.

4) The chapters will deal with the following themes:

Information: on Mexico generally, using a chronology and a
synthesis of the political, economic and social aspects as
well as a <<miscellaneous>> section. The same information is
usually posted on the APC network in the conference
<<reg.mexico>> with the title <<Mexico Update>>.
Analysis:a general evaluation of the situation in Mexico

Chiapas: concrete developments in the peace process

The forum, <<Solidarity>>: distinct elements of
civil society in Mexico will post here initiatives or
concrete proposals for those involved in international
solidarity with Mexico. It will also include urgent news items
and information on specific conflicts. For this reason, we
ask you to maintain your participation to this forum very much
to the point. We shall reserve the right to restrict access to
this latter forum.

5). In order to subscribe you can send mail to:
mex...@uibero.uia.mx

placing the following command in the text-body of the
message for the corresponding chapter:

To receive: Write in the message:

Information (English) subscribe information <your name>
Informacion (Spanish) subscribe informacion <tu nombre>

Analysis (English) subscribe analysis <your name>
Analisis (Spanish) subscribe analisis <tu nombre>

Chiapas (English) subscribe chiapas-eng <your name>
Chiapas (Spanish) subscribe chiapas-esp <tu nombre>

Solidarity subscribe solidarity <your name>
Solidaridad subscribe solidaridad <tu nombre>

If you choose to subscribe to various or all four,merely send a mail
message with the correct entry in the text-body of each one.
In order to unsubscribe, follow the same procedure using
the word <<unsubscribe>> in place of <<subscribe>> in the examples above.

If you have questions concerning technical matters, you can
send them to the same address with <<technical>> in the
<<Subject:>> field of the message. If you have questions
concerning the content of the information or need to clarify
something, send mail to the same address with <<coordinador>>
in the <<Subject:>> field of the message. Please note the spelling!
Including: SUBSCRIBE NOTIPAEZ <name of subscriber>

Archive: ftp ftp.escher.fciencias.unam.mx directory: notipaez
(Environmental Protection Agency) in August 1994, to begin a dialogue in
the US, Mexico, and elsewhere among individuals and groups conducting
research or work concerning the US/Mexico border environment.
In the body of the message, type: sub 187-L YourFirstName YourLastName
i.e. sub 187-L Jane Smith
=========================
187politics
=========================
A just created list to allow debate and strategy discussions on how to
fight against Prop 187 and the right-wing movement behind it. This will
include the pros and cons of certain strategies, how to link other racist
attacks like "three strikes" laws to the fight against 187, and how world
economic issues like NAFTA relate to immigration fights.
To Subcribe, send a message to: 187polit...@garnet.berkeley.edu
In the Subject: line--NOT THE BODY OF THE MESSAGE, THE SUBJECT: line, type:

Subject: sub 187politics

the Subject: line-- signoff 187politics
IMMIGRATION REFORM E-MAIL LIST
The purposes of this list are to disseminate news and organize
responsible activism in immigration policy reforms.
If you wish to be added to the e-mail list, please send a message
to ww...@netcom.com
Its URL is: ftp://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/pub/Immigration/Index.html
(Note that it is ftp, not http. This does not matter; any Web
browser, e.g. mosaic or lynx, works fine.)
USENET NEWSGROUPS

soc.culture.mexican
soc.culture.mexican.american

soc.culture.mexican is very active. Assorted subjects are discussed.
^^^^
If you have a question about Mexico and do not know where to post it,
this is a very good place. Most of the time you will get a quick response.

To read USENET news you must have access via a news reader on your local
system or through access to another system. Find out about local access by
contacting your computer center or other internet access provider. For
example, the Peacenet and other IGC networks provide access to Usenet News.

If you do not have access to a USENET news reader, you can still send
an e-mail message to soc.culture.m...@decwrl.dec.com
and ask that the answers be sent directly to your e-mail address.
These newsgroups discuss almost anything relating to society,
politics, travel, culture, etc. for the regions described. The groups
sometimes include postings from newspapers and wire services.
Bilingual. Spanish-English. Much info is cross-posted
to other lists. USENET groups often have a regular posting called an
FAQ (frequently asked questions) that provides a lot of good information
about the content and culture of the list
WWW Web Mexican Sites

List of www servers in Mexico
http://info.pue.udlap.mx/www-mex-eng.html

"Mexico Out of Balance" web site
http://www.igc.apc.org/nacla/mexico.html
info: George Gundrey ggun...@igc.apc.org

Mexican WWW Home Page
http://kuhttp.cc.ukans.edu/~marc/geography/latinam/mexico/mex_main.html
Owner: Glenn Welker

Mexican Politics
http://daisy.uwaterloo.ca/~alopez-o/polind.html

Check out also the EZLN page at the URL
http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~justin/Docs/ezln/ezln.html
A frequently-updated homepage devoted to the EZLN and related issues.

The Zapatista uprising is discussed in the context of changing
gender relations in the Lacandon rainforest in an interview between
Lourdes Arizpe and Cindy Duffy, transcribed and posted to the Net at
http://tdg.uoguelph.ca/~kwakely/rhizone.html

Mexican tourism, cuisine, football, literature
http://csgwww.uwaterloo.ca/~dmg/home.html
owner: Daniel German d...@csg.uwaterloo.ca

Tourist information on the Pacific Coast of Oaxaca, with links to others.
Owner: Tom Penick
http://www.eden.com/~tomzap/index.html

Mexican Universities WEB sites

University of Veracruz
http://tazz.coacade.uv.mx

http://akebono.stanford.edu/yahoo/Education/Universities
>From here you can pick the country.

University of Guadalajara
http://mexico.udg.mx/ http://www.udg.mx/

New WWW Interphase for soc.culture mexican Newsgroup and FAQs
Owner: rjsa...@iastate.edu (Ricardo J Salvador)
mendoz...@att.com (Victor Mendoza Grado)
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~rjsalvad/scmfaq/scmfaq.html

*Read the charter of the newsgroup
*Read articles posted to soc.culture.mexican (if your browser supports this
feature and you have access to a newsfeed)
*Read the answers to frequently asked questions, enhanced by graphical and
audio information (still under development)
*Branch to related WWW servers dealing with Mexican topics
Frequently asked questions in soc.culture.mexican are also available at
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/mexican-faq/faq.html
however, no "hyper-links" to the actual FAQ files are implemented at this
site this time.

Canciones Mexicanas
http://www.ColoState.EDU/Orgs/LASO/index.html
http://edb518ea.edb.utexas.edu/mexican/CANCION.html

Las Posadas (y otras canciones) los puedes encontrar por ftp anonimo en
ftp.mty.itesm.mx (131.178.1.38). Busca en el directorio pub/mexico/faqs.
Una vez en ese directorio, busca el archivo CANCION. Es un archivo largo
con corridos y otras canciones.

Gopher address for downloading the "Mexican Constitution": (in Spanish)
gopher://ulima.edu.pe:70/00/ccpp/cextr/america/mexico.txt

WWW Home Page for the Internet Law Library for Mexico:
http://www.pls.com:8001/d2/kelli/httpd/htdocs/his/74.GBM

WEB site which includes Mexican resources. The URL is
http://www.msstate.edu/Archives/History/Latin_America/Mexico/mexico.html
For photos of Mexico, the URL is:
http://www.msstate.edu/Archives/History/photos
Owner: Don Mabry dj...@ra.msstate.edu

The Definitive Latin American Connection
Collection. It has just about ALL links to WWW servers in Spanish Speaking
countries and Latin America. the url is
http://edb518ea.edb.utexas.edu/html/LatinAmerica.html
My home page is at
http://edb518ea.edb.utexas.edu/felipe.html
Felipe Campos aka EgOiStE on Internet Relay Chat.

Mexico Economic Data.
New data impacting the discussion of the mexican economy is now available via a
nonymous FTP to nber.harvard.edu in the pub/pwt56 / dos directory. It has Mexi
co's and other nations real per capita income adjusted for terms of trade in re
lation to purchasing power (world base, not u.s.) in 1985 dollars. Also very n
ew consumption, investment, government, standard of living figures, etc.
Laura Randall Email lr...@cunyvm.cuny.edu

Mexico Stock Market and Peso Exchange rate (updated daily)
Holt's Stock Report
Gopher lib.nmsu.edu

Peso exchange rate (updated weekly)
http://www.ora.com/cgi-bin/ora/currency

Economic data from Mexico
http://www.infosel.com.mx

Info on access to the internet from Mexico
http://www.spin.com.mx

Gophers

Institute of Latin American Studies of Univ. of Texas
gopher lanic.utexas.edu
path: Latin America/Mexico

Mexican Gophers
gopher gopher.tc.unm.edu

Profmexis gopher
gopher profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx

New Mexico State University: Mexican Resources
gopher lib.nmsu.edu
border and latin american news/ News from Internet sources.

NOTICIAS DE MEXICO EN ESPANOL

Direccion General de Informacion - UNAM
gopher condor.dgsca.unam.mx

Sintesis Informativa (Resumen de titulares y editoriales de los
principales periodicos de la ciudad de Mexico, diarias)
path: Noticias de Mexico y el Mundo/Sintesis Informativa/dia/noticias&opinion

Noticias del Periodico El Nacional (diarias pero ~7 dias atrasado)
path: Noticias de Mexico y el Mundo/Noticias de El Nacional/mes/dia

Noticias Nacionales del Periodico El Norte de Juarez (diarias)
Universidad Autonoma de Ciudad Juarez (UACJ)
gopher acuario.uacj.mx o gopher leo.uacj.mx
path: Sintesis de Noticias de nuestra localidad/Mes/Dia

Resumenes de noticias de primera plana y de la seccion negocios
de los principales periodicos nacionales. Por ejemplo: El
Financiero, Reforma, El Norte, Jornada, Universal.
Fuente: ITESM Chihuahua. (diarios pero ~7 dias atrasados)
gopher geronimo.chi.itesm.mx o gopher 132.254.160.2
path: Biblioteca del campus/resumen de noticias/noticias nacionales
(busqueda por palabra o nombre del periodico o mes)

Periodico _La Jornada_ on the WWW -
Ya se puede leer parte de La Jornada en linea. De momento la pagina esta en:
http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~justin/jornada/index.html
Se aceptan (de hecho, se suplican) comentarios a:
jor...@condor.dgsca.unam.mx o a jus...@sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mexican Newspapers via FTP. [binary image files] To retrieve these files
FTP to <condor.dgsca.unam.mx> and go to the
<pub/imagen/noticia/periodicos> directory. At this point, use a <dir> or
<ls -al> command to see a list of the newspapers. As of mid-May 1994 the
list includes: El Economista, El Nacional, Excelsior, La Jornada,
Sintesis, and Uno mas Uno. This FTP archive contains scanned images of the
pages of these newspapers on a daily basis. The resulting files are very
large, compressed, binary image files which can be transferred via FTP
and must be uncompressed before they are usable. You must also have a
graphics filter that makes it possible to view files with a .tif extension.

NEWS FROM MEXICO IN ENGLISH

No dedicated source of news from Mexico in English exists, however,
good places that regularly have news from Mexico include:

San Francisco Chronicle
http://sfgate.com Today's chronicle/News or Business

Voice of America
gopher gopher.voa.gov Path: VOA news and wire service/day

Peacenet and activist gopher
Gopher igc.apc.org
path: Peacenet/Central America and Mexico
or path: IGC Headline News

Time Magazine
http://www.timeinc.com TIME, TIME DAILY and MONEY DAILY

Electronic Newstand
gopher gopher.enews.com Recommend searching by Keyword Mexico.

or in the USENET groups

soc.culture.mexican
soc.culture.latin-american
misc.activism.progressive
alt.activism

A number of for-fee news services also exist, and are covered
in a separate file. Send me an e-mail if you want a copy.

MAILING LISTS VS. USENET NEWSGROUPS

A number of people ask what is the difference between mailing lists and
USENET newsgroups. The most fundamental one is that in mailing lists
you get all the messages posted to the list directly into your mailbox.
in a USENET newsgroup you use a program called a reader to get into
USENET and only retrieve and read the messages that you think are
interesting based on the subject line.

Most of the time, members of a mailing list do not read USENET and
people who read USENET do not belong to mailing lists. Is a matter
of preference or hardware/software resources. However, mailing lists
tend to be more subject specific, therefore, if you subscribe to
a mailing list of a subject that you want, you tend to receive messages
only of that subject, while USENET groups tend to be more general,
with very diverse and sometimes unrelated subjects being discussed
within a newsgroup.

Some times, messages from mailing lists tend to be copied onto USENET
groups. However, this sometimes means that you might be responding
to a message in USENET and the original sender will never know
because he/she is a member of a mailing list. Keep that in mind
whenever you respond to a message.
Is is proper etiquette to find out which subjects are covered by either a
newsgroup or a mailing list before cluttering everybody's mailboxes with
messages that do not belong in that specific forum.

*Disclaimer:The views expressed here are my own and not those of my employer*
*Jose A. Briones, Allentown, PA (brio...@ttown.apci.com) *
*"They can only change the rules, they can never stop the game" Danny *
*DeVito, in "Other People's Money". *