Java output, Code conventions for Mirah

Berlin Brown

Apr 20, 2011, 11:55:56 AM4/20/11
to The Mirah Programming Language
To the Mirah developers:

First, I wanted to say, Mirah is pretty cool and something I have
wanted for a while. It is basically a more sophisticated code
generator (assuming you use the Java code convention). I hope you
guys keep that feature. Please keep the Java code generation feature.

Here is my question and suggestion, have you guys thought about basic
code conventions when generating the
output code? Is that a consideration? Do you think it matters?

Also, is it possible to do Java output such that adds optimizations or
code refactorings?

For example, is it possible to output with final declaration of
variables. Could we possibly have it use more descriptive variable
names?

javax.swing.JFrame temp$1 = frame;
temp$1.setPreferredSize(dim);
javax.swing.JFrame temp$2 = frame;
temp$2.setBackground(java.awt.Color.white);
frame.add(new java.awt.Canvas());
javax.swing.JFrame temp$3 = frame;
temp$3.pack();
javax.swing.JFrame temp$4 = frame;
temp$4.setVisible(true);

consiliens

Apr 20, 2011, 12:56:54 PM4/20/11
to mi...@googlegroups.com
The source generation feature has been broken for a while.

http://code.google.com/p/mirah/issues/detail?id=49

I agree that more human readable output is desirable.

Berlin Brown

Apr 20, 2011, 1:41:55 PM4/20/11
to The Mirah Programming Language
If it is broken, it doesn't matter as much. I hope Java developers
will compile it and test the output. So far, it has been close enough.