Mirah Book, Wiki

Senthil Nayagam

Apr 5, 2011, 2:44:01 AM4/5/11
to The Mirah Programming Language
Hi,

I am giving a talk on Mirah in Java User Group Chennai on 16th April.
this gives me more reasons to try as many features in a short period
of time

I am sharing all the code I am writing while learning mirah, hope it
can help newbies
https://github.com/rubygeeks/learn_mirah

I believe Mirah will be big soon, so writing a book would make sense
https://github.com/rubygeeks/mirah_book
Idea is to write croudsourced and peer reviewed books on mirah in
popular programming book formats
Beginning Mirah
Mirah Cookbook
Advanced Mirah

please suggest topics to be covered, suggest improvements, share
sample codes

mirah wiki on mirah.org / github can be detailed, if someone can tell
what would be official stand on content, I can populate initial set of
pages

Senthil

Michal Hantl

Apr 5, 2011, 2:51:22 AM4/5/11
to mi...@googlegroups.com
Woah nice!

I am using mirah every day and did not know how to use that "dynamic"
thing. So I am already learning from you :)

Please keep us posted about the book.

--
S pozdravem, Regards
Michal Hantl

tel: +420 777 812 167
gtalk: michal...@gmail.com
skype: michal.hantl

Senthil Nayagam

Apr 5, 2011, 2:56:57 AM4/5/11
to The Mirah Programming Language
Hi Michal

I am a ruby programmer, I have never learnt or touched java and .net
in my life, but with mirah I am willing to explore the JVM ecosystem.

can you share me what you have written, I would like add it to the
repo as well

Senthil
> gtalk: michal.ha...@gmail.com
> skype: michal.hantl

Michal Hantl

Apr 5, 2011, 3:11:28 AM4/5/11
to mi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Senthil,
I come from Ruby and PHP so I didn't have much Java background too.

Here are some howtos I have written when I was struggling with basics.
http://code.google.com/p/mirah-on-gae/w/list

I use Dubious (= Mirah on AppEngine) to develop my apps.

One of the small projects is JabRoulette which is chat-roulette with Jabber.
https://github.com/hakunin/friendfind

It uses AppEngine's XMPP API and you can play with it here:
http://jabroulette.appspot.com/

Feel free to contact me via gtalk (this email).

gtalk: michal...@gmail.com
skype: michal.hantl

RameshVel

Apr 5, 2011, 4:16:43 AM4/5/11
to The Mirah Programming Language
Hi Senthil,
Its a great news. Am also from chennai. started hacking Mirah for
couple of weeks. And i found its going to be awesome addition to JVM
ecosystem.

Since i am from .Net and little Ruby background, i would like to hear
your thoughts on April 16th.
Can you tell me about the venue?

Cheers
Ramesh Vel

On Apr 5, 11:44 am, Senthil Nayagam <sent...@railsfactory.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am  giving a talk on Mirah in Java User Group Chennai on 16th April.
> this gives me more reasons to try as many features in a short period
> of time
>
> I am sharing all the code I am writing while learning mirah, hope it
> can help newbieshttps://github.com/rubygeeks/learn_mirah
>
> I believe Mirah will be big soon, so writing a book would make sensehttps://github.com/rubygeeks/mirah_book

RameshVel

Apr 5, 2011, 7:47:23 AM4/5/11
to The Mirah Programming Language
Hi Senthil,
Its great. I am also from chennai. And started hacking mirah for
couple of weeks. love to hear you on April 16th.

Am basically a C# developer, but having knowledge in ruby. I believe
Mirah is going to be awesome since its fusion of ruby coolness and JVM
advantage.

Can you share a venue details.?

Cheers
Ramesh Vel

On Apr 5, 11:51 am, Michal Hantl <michal.ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> gtalk: michal.ha...@gmail.com
> skype: michal.hantl

Senthil Nayagam

Apr 5, 2011, 1:38:50 PM4/5/11
to The Mirah Programming Language

Senthil Nayagam

Apr 5, 2011, 1:40:28 PM4/5/11
to The Mirah Programming Language
Thanks Michal,

will read your code, hope to find some gems :)

will contact you soon

my skype : senthil-railsfactory.org
gtalk: sen...@railsfactory.org

regards
Senthil

On Apr 5, 12:11 pm, Michal Hantl <michal.ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Senthil,
>  I come from Ruby and PHP so I didn't have much Java background too.
>
> Here are some howtos I have written when I was struggling with basics.http://code.google.com/p/mirah-on-gae/w/list
>
> I use Dubious (= Mirah on AppEngine) to develop my apps.
>
> One of the small projects is JabRoulette which is chat-roulette with Jabber.https://github.com/hakunin/friendfind
> gtalk: michal.ha...@gmail.com
> skype: michal.hantl

consiliens

Apr 5, 2011, 2:38:52 PM4/5/11
to mi...@googlegroups.com
On 04/05/2011 12:44 AM, Senthil Nayagam wrote:
> if someone can tell
> what would be official stand on content

I think the preferred markup language is Markdown. There are a number
of successful Markdown based book projects hosted on github.

https://github.com/progit/progit
https://github.com/schacon/gitbook

Note that I'm not a lawyer and the following is not legal advice.

Before the wiki is populated, a content license should be chosen.
http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2008/07/content-licenses-now-available-for-your.html

The two CC licenses endorsed by Google code are CC BY and CC BY-SA. For
community wiki projects, I recommend using the same license as Wikipedia
which is CC BY-SA.

It's important to have a discussion now on format and license choice.
Changing licenses or formats down the road is not fun.