Mirah for Android

Daniel Jackoway

Nov 13, 2010, 1:57:16 AM11/13/10
to mi...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this list, but I'm not really sure why, as I've been interested in Mirah since the summer.

I'm Daniel Jackoway, and I worked on Ruboto, a project to make it easy to write Android apps in (J)Ruby, this summer.

I gave a talk at RubyConf that showed off Android development in both Ruby and Mirah, and it was very well received. Here's my blog post, which links to my slides and demo code: http://blog.danieljackoway.com/rubyconf-2010 There will also be a video eventually.

When I wrote my Mirah demo, I literally did a cp -r on Garrett and changed what I needed to. It wasn't much work, but I could tell it could be way easier.

So during the sessions today, I hacked together what is tentatively called Mirahndroid: https://github.com/jackowayed/mirahndroid

It just runs `android create project` with the args you pass, adds the ant task that makes it compile the mirah code, replaces the FooActivity.java that android generates with a FooActivity.mirah, and changes a line of config that needs to be changed for unknown reasons. It's awesome how easy Mirah makes it.

Anyway, I just wanted to let people know that it's out there, and also ask for suggestions of a more rational name.

Thanks,
Daniel

Phil Hagelberg

Nov 13, 2010, 6:47:03 PM11/13/10
to mi...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 12, 2010 11:29 PM, "Daniel Jackoway" <dan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm new to this list, but I'm not really sure why, as I've been interested
> in Mirah since the summer.
>
> When I wrote my Mirah demo, I literally did a cp -r on
> Garrett<https://github.com/technomancy/Garrett>and changed what I

> needed to. It wasn't much work, but I could tell it could
> be way easier.

This looks cool; thanks. I've just started to get back into Mirah and
the complexity of the Android build chain is a real drag.

> So during the sessions today, I hacked together what is tentatively called
> Mirahndroid: https://github.com/jackowayed/mirahndroid
>
> It just runs `android create project` with the args you pass, adds the ant
> task that makes it compile the mirah code, replaces the FooActivity.java
> that android generates with a FooActivity.mirah, and changes a line of
> config that needs to be changed for unknown reasons. It's awesome how easy
> Mirah makes it.

Cool; I'll take a look at this. It occurs to me that the "android"
tool has what looks like a rudimentary package manager; you can add
sources and see what packages each source offers. So in the long term,
probably the right thing to do is to set up our own Mirah source that
can provide the "android" project generator with the skeletons and
dependencies it needs to spit out and compile Mirah-powered projects.
But since Mirah-on-Android is still in its infancy that is probably a
bit premature.

> Anyway, I just wanted to let people know that it's out there, and also ask
> for suggestions of a more rational name.

My Javanese is pretty rusty, but I don't think it has a word for
Robot. =) Perhaps you could use the name of one of the cities on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javanese_language ?

-Phil

John Woodell

Nov 14, 2010, 3:34:47 AM11/14/10
to mi...@googlegroups.com
It seems that "perangkat mirah" translates to "ruby tools" or "ruby devices"

Daniel Jackoway

Nov 14, 2010, 7:03:46 PM11/14/10
to mi...@googlegroups.com
Doesn't have a great ring.

This looks like a decent, though not very comprehensive, dictionary: http://www.archive.org/stream/englishjavanesev00egnerich#page/50/mode/2up

I was looking for things like "mobile", and "Move to another place" under "Kromo" (not sure what the difference is) is "pindah". That doesn't sound too bad, and keeps the trailing "ah" so that it doesn't look totally different form "mirah"

It seems like there *must* be a Stanford professor that can help me out with Javaense, but preliminary Googling hasn't yielded anyone.
Daniel

Phil Hagelberg

Nov 15, 2010, 12:46:47 AM11/15/10
to mi...@googlegroups.com

Pindah is great. It's actually an Indonesian word as well, borrowed from the Javanese. But the movement connotations are perfect.

-Phil