Hackathon Details

Charles Oliver Nutter

Apr 9, 2012, 9:05:34 PM4/9/12
to mi...@googlegroups.com
Ok folks. Tomorrow starts the two weeks of Mirah hacking. This email
provides details on where to find Mirah information and other Mirah
hackers.

Mirah's Github organization is here: https://github.com/mirah/

The primary codebase of interest is https://github.com/mirah/mirah,
but the parser (https://github.com/mirah/mirah-parser), App Engine
framework (https://github.com/mirah/dubious), and Android framework
(https://github.com/mirah/pindah) are also of interest.

We also have a maven plugin that may or may not be working
(https://github.com/mirah/maven-mirah-plugin) and a basic NetBeans
plugin that provides syntax highlighting
(https://github.com/mirah/mirah-netbeans-plugin).

Everyone interested in helping should hang out on Freenode IRC in the
#mirah channel.

TASKS

I posted a basic lists of tasks before, but here it is with some additions.

* Documentation: what works, what doesn't (and should), getting started, etc
* Test writing to fill out gaps (this can kinda go along with documentation)
* Codebase cleanup (on the new newast branch...may need to wait for
Ryan to get it working well)
* Bug tracker triage (close working bugs, try to fix simple ones, file
unreported issues from mailing list)
* Get pindah (Android framework) working (if it is not) and document
how to do it.
* Get dubious (GAE framework) working (if it is not) and document how to do it.
* Port parts of Mirah's Ruby code into Mirah (this is a goal of newast branch)

Things will probably start slow as we get newast and the frameworks
into working shape, but once we have a functional codebase things will
move a lot faster.

I'll be online as much as possible, but I can also be contacted on
Google Talk at this email address.

Hope to see you all this week working on Mirah! :)

- Charlie

Braden Shepherdson

Apr 9, 2012, 9:49:48 PM4/9/12
to mi...@googlegroups.com
I'm a Googler who will be 20%ing this a bit this week. I'll be in
California on-site at the hackathon next week devoting most of my time
to Mirah hacking.

My main goal is implementing support for generics, probably on the
newast branch. I'm hoping this week will see it whipped into
mostly-working shape, and then I can spend the following week hacking
on generics. I'll add documentation wherever I have to figure
something out on my own.

Braden Shepherdson

John Woodell

Apr 9, 2012, 11:31:32 PM4/9/12
to mi...@googlegroups.com
Dubious needs a thread-safe router that creates new instances of the controller, which could use existing Rails DSL and related Ruby code to dump out the expanded routing rules.

Charles Oliver Nutter

Apr 10, 2012, 12:03:57 AM4/10/12
to mi...@googlegroups.com
Since we're talking about interest areas...

I'm waiting on newast to make some look and feel improvements to the
language itself. Things like this:

interface Foo do
end

should be

interface Foo
end

And having things like implements on the same line as class Foo < Bar
would make things feel a lot better. Basically, cleaning up a lot of
the "edges" of the language.

I also think the usual Java keywords should be added to the parser, so
that public, private, static, etc can start to be added more easily.
Kindof along the lines of filling out Java 1.0/1.1 language features

I'm also interested in porting more logic from Ruby into Mirah as
newast settles. I think a goal of 100% Mirah-based compilation would
be a reasonable goal for Mirah 1.0.

A lot depends on newast getting into order quickly, though...

- Charlie

Charles Oliver Nutter

Apr 10, 2012, 12:05:25 AM4/10/12
to mi...@googlegroups.com
Oh, and welcome to the team :)

I have no issues giving commit rights to anyone who wants to start
working on things. You just have to agree to Apache-2.0 and we're and
running!

- Charlie

pepijn (aka fliebel)

Apr 10, 2012, 5:59:46 AM4/10/12
to mi...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty new to Mirah, and I'm not a Ruby guy either, so my contributions will be limited.

I'll be on IRC. Trying to reach out to some low fruits, or just hit the tree and see what falls down.

I can probably add some tests and documentation. Not sure where to start though.

On thing I would like to implement, if I can figure it out, is better ways of referencing classes.

AFAIK, it is not currently possible to use a full class name. Another thing is that the import syntax is all-or-nothing like Java. You import one class, or all of them. I'd like to be able to import a list of classes, explicitly.

I assume I should just start reading the newast branch?

Pepijn

Charles Oliver Nutter

Apr 10, 2012, 7:30:45 PM4/10/12
to mi...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 4:59 AM, pepijn (aka fliebel)
<pepij...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I assume I should just start reading the newast branch?

We already talked on IRC a bit, but yeah, I think a lot of folks will
either want to look at newast (if working on core Mirah language impl)
or one of the side projects like mirah-parser. Hopefully during the
early stages of this hackathon we (really, Ryan) can get newast to an
approachable state.

I'm hoping that as newast settles a bit this week I can start looking
at helping to move the type system and eventually the compiler itself
into Mirah (or Java, if Mirah's not quite up to the task yet). Having
roughly half of the toolchain in Ruby and half in Mirah makes for some
interesting debugging...

- Charlie