MINIX 3.1.5 Release

Arun Thomas

Nov 5, 2009, 12:52:20 PM11/5/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We are pleased to present the MINIX 3.1.5 stable release. Many bugs
have been fixed since the last release, so we recommend you upgrade.
The major features of this release are:

* Better performance
* Shared memory support
* Open Source Sound System (OSSv4)
* Network card autodetection (for supported cards) and improved
network configuration
* More ports: PostgresSQL, QEMU, Sudo, more recent OpenSSH
* And more...

To find out more about this release, please see
http://wiki.minix3.org/en/MinixReleases. You can grab the ISO image
from the download page: http://www.minix3.org/download.

Thanks everyone for all your contributions and feedback. We hope you
enjoy the new release.

Arun

Colin Fowler

Nov 5, 2009, 12:59:45 PM11/5/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations to the dev team :) Downloading now!

Colin

Errno-flow

Nov 5, 2009, 1:17:02 PM11/5/09
to minix3
Wow many new good feature! Thx to the dev. Team

Jonathan White

Nov 5, 2009, 1:20:35 PM11/5/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
Great! Thanks for all your efforts.
--Jon

Jonathan White

Nov 5, 2009, 3:05:08 PM11/5/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
I had a quick question:
Release notes for 3.1.4 say that one of the new features included is "Virtual Memory Support".
What exactly did this mean?
I do understand what Virtual Memory means, but there could be different variations. Hence my question.
My understanding was that even 3.1.3 (even 3.1.0 book version for that matter) supported virtual memory, i.e. per-process address space (per process CR3, page table, pages, etc.). But this is just my definition of virtual memory.
Thx, Jon

Tomas Hruby

Nov 5, 2009, 3:43:59 PM11/5/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
> My understanding was that even 3.1.3 (even 3.1.0 book version for that
> matter) supported virtual memory, i.e. per-process address space (per
> process CR3, page table, pages, etc.).

Nope, paging-based virtual memory was introduces in 3.1.4 and that was
the _big_ change. It replaced segmentation-only based virtual memory
of previous versions. People tend not to call using segments-only
virtual memory. Also paging has more meaning and hence the confusion.

T.

Althaf K Backer

Nov 5, 2009, 6:14:38 PM11/5/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
Thank you dev team and all contributors :)

Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim

Nov 5, 2009, 7:28:45 PM11/5/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
> We are pleased to present the MINIX 3.1.5 stable release.

May I know what "The current experimental MINIX release
is: n/a." means?

Thank you.

--
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim.

Arun Thomas

Nov 5, 2009, 7:36:27 PM11/5/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim wrote:
>> We are pleased to present the MINIX 3.1.5 stable release.
>>

> May I know what "The current experimental MINIX release
> is: n/a." means?

Sure. N/A stands for not applicable. There's no experimental release out
there currently; there's just the stable one. We could probably come up
with a clearer designation.

Arun

Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim

Nov 5, 2009, 8:14:08 PM11/5/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
>> May I know what "The current experimental MINIX release
>> is: n/a." means?
> Sure.

Thank you very much.

More basic questions: is Minix 3.1.5 the "kernel" or the "whole
system" (aka. distribution)? What are you going to call the kernel
build 5617? Minix 3.1.6 experimantal?

regards,

--
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim.

Arun Thomas

Nov 6, 2009, 1:51:41 AM11/6/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim wrote:

> More basic questions: is Minix 3.1.5 the "kernel" or the "whole
> system" (aka. distribution)? What are you going to call the kernel
> build 5617? Minix 3.1.6 experimantal?

Minix 3.1.5 refers to the ISO image, including the base system and
packages. The SVN trunk revision (r5617) is not for widespread
consumption; it's for people who want to run the bleeding-edge code.
When the SVN trunk stabilizes a bit, we'll release a beta/experimental
ISO for widespread testing. We'll call it Minix 3.1.6. I hope that
clears things up a bit.

Arun

Sharavsambuu

Nov 6, 2009, 4:24:14 AM11/6/09
to minix3
Congratulations!
Im very interested Minix3

Roman Ignatov

Nov 6, 2009, 6:25:27 AM11/6/09
to minix3
Congratulations!
Downloading now!

best regards,
Roman

Althaf K Backer

Nov 6, 2009, 6:53:16 AM11/6/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
Dev teams please mirror the iso :)
its at its peak now , and always stalling :(

Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim

Nov 6, 2009, 6:51:06 AM11/6/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
Althaf K Backer wrote:

> Dev teams please mirror the iso :)
> its at its peak now , and always stalling :(

If you are inside Indonesia, you can download it from:
http://shol.vlsm.org/minix/ISO/
It is also available (worldwide) on
http://kambing.ui.ac.id/minix/ISO/
But, that site is currently busy handling ubuntu (over 50Mbps
day and night!).

Nataraj S Narayan

Nov 6, 2009, 7:23:17 AM11/6/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Get me one for Arm7tdmi abd Arm9tdmi!

regards

Nataraj

Althaf K Backer

Nov 6, 2009, 8:22:48 AM11/6/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Rahmat :)

Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim

Nov 6, 2009, 10:04:57 AM11/6/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
Althaf K Backer wrote:

> Thank you Rahmat :)

You are welcome! How slow is it from there?

--
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim.

Dariusz Knociński

Nov 6, 2009, 12:56:35 PM11/6/09
to min...@googlegroups.com

Wonderfull, I am just working in VirtalBox with X11 :)

DKnoto.

Alex Sangiuliano

Nov 7, 2009, 4:44:46 AM11/7/09
to minix3
Thank You

Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim

Nov 8, 2009, 9:31:57 AM11/8/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
Some additional notes:
* /etc/issue still has "this snapshot is an interim release".
* Step 2: what is full install?
* Step 8: AMD Lance (on VMPlayer 3.0 guest) WAS detected!

Arun Thomas

Nov 9, 2009, 11:37:12 AM11/9/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim
<rahmatm.sa...@vlsm.org> wrote:

> Some additional notes:
> * /etc/issue still has "this snapshot is an interim release".

Ah. We missed that one. Fixed in the R3.1.5 branch, so the issue file
will be correct if/when we do a 3.1.5a release. Thanks.

> * Step 2: what is full install?

A Full Install overwrites the /home partition; a Reinstall doesn't as
mentioned on http://wiki.minix3.org/en/UsersGuide/DoingInstallation.

> * Step 8: AMD Lance (on VMPlayer 3.0 guest) WAS detected!

Great. Glad to hear it.

Best,
Arun

Rene Zatvo

Nov 10, 2009, 5:13:57 AM11/10/09
to minix3
Hi,
On Nov 9, 5:37 pm, Arun Thomas <arun.tho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim
>
> <rahmatm.samik-ibra...@vlsm.org> wrote:
>
> > Some additional notes:
> > * /etc/issue still has "this snapshot is an interim release".
>
> Ah. We missed that one. Fixed in the R3.1.5 branch, so the issue file
> will be correct if/when we do a 3.1.5a release. Thanks.
Congrats to new release. Does release 3.1.5[a-z] mean bug fix release?
When can we await such release?
Btw. no problem with current one.

When will be the rest of gsoc integrated?

--
Rene

Arun Thomas

Nov 10, 2009, 6:29:10 AM11/10/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
Rene Zatvo wrote:

> Congrats to new release. Does release 3.1.5[a-z] mean bug fix release?
> When can we await such release?
> Btw. no problem with current one.

Yes, the notation means a bug fix release to a stable version. We will
only do a 3.1.5a release if a critical fix is required.

> When will be the rest of gsoc integrated?

In the near future.

Best,
Arun

dsims