Minix 3.1.4 r4817 snapshot ISO

Arun Thomas

Jul 28, 2009, 8:26:09 AM7/28/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We have a new 3.1.4 (r4817) snapshot ISO on the download page. This
version includes virtual memory (VM) optimizations that increase
performance slightly over r4220. We have implemented other VM
optimizations that boost performance significantly, but they cause
issues on VMWare and VirtualBox. Once we resolve these issues, we'll
post a new snapshot.

As of this snapshot, users should be able to run Minix on QEMU, KVM,
VMWare, and VirtualBox without any hacks. You no longer need to set
any boot monitor variables (QEMU/KVM), hack config files (VMWare), or
restart network drivers (VirtualBox). Just make sure to select the
correct network card during installation.

There are also many other fixes (select, mfs, etc.) and cleanups. Enjoy.

Arun

Alexjan Carraturo

Jul 28, 2009, 8:35:01 AM7/28/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
2009/7/28 Arun Thomas <arun....@gmail.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> We have a new 3.1.4  (r4817) snapshot ISO on the download page. This
> version includes virtual memory (VM) optimizations that increase
> performance slightly over r4220. We have implemented other VM
> optimizations that boost performance significantly, but they cause
> issues on VMWare and VirtualBox. Once we resolve these issues, we'll
> post a new snapshot.

Exctally what? I use VirtualBox.. I'm interested

> As of this snapshot, users should be able to run Minix on QEMU, KVM,
> VMWare, and VirtualBox without any hacks. You no longer need to set
> any boot monitor variables (QEMU/KVM), hack config files (VMWare), or
> restart network drivers (VirtualBox). Just make sure to select the
> correct network card during installation.

It works...

> There are also many other fixes (select, mfs, etc.)  and cleanups. Enjoy.
>
> Arun

Please, I'm new here... can you send me a link about full changelog?

--
####################################
Alexjan Carraturo

Arun Thomas

Jul 28, 2009, 9:31:58 AM7/28/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Alexjan Carraturo<axjs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/7/28 Arun Thomas <arun....@gmail.com>:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We have a new 3.1.4  (r4817) snapshot ISO on the download page. This
>> version includes virtual memory (VM) optimizations that increase
>> performance slightly over r4220. We have implemented other VM
>> optimizations that boost performance significantly, but they cause
>> issues on VMWare and VirtualBox. Once we resolve these issues, we'll
>> post a new snapshot.
>>

> Exctally what? I use VirtualBox.. I'm interested

It's a virtual memory issue. We're tracking it down now. We'll post
more information once we have a fix. The r4817 snapshot does not
exhibit the problem.

> Please, I'm new here... can you send me a link about full changelog?

You can get the full changelog from SVN:

svn log -r4220:4817 --username anonymous --password ''
https://gforge.cs.vu.nl/svn/minix/trunk/src
(Use username anonymous and an empty password)

Best,
Arun

Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim

Jul 28, 2009, 10:02:40 AM7/28/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
> We have a new 3.1.4  (r4817) snapshot ISO on the download page

I will try it ASAP. Thank you very much.

--
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim --- vLSM.org

Guanqun Lu

Jul 28, 2009, 9:41:49 PM7/28/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 02:26:09PM +0200, Arun Thomas wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We have a new 3.1.4 (r4817) snapshot ISO on the download page. This
> version includes virtual memory (VM) optimizations that increase
> performance slightly over r4220. We have implemented other VM
> optimizations that boost performance significantly, but they cause
> issues on VMWare and VirtualBox. Once we resolve these issues, we'll
> post a new snapshot.

Thank you for the effort.
It runs faster per my feeling. :-)

Great!

--
Guanqun

Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim

Jul 28, 2009, 9:55:53 PM7/28/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
FYI:
- I tried to download it from my (slow) home connection;
but I was disconnected after about 1 or 2 hours.
- Then I tried it again from my office for about 20 minutes.
2009-07-29 08:51:41 (528 KB/s)
`minix3_1_4_ide_r4817.iso' saved [584056832/584056832]

Roman

Jul 29, 2009, 2:05:33 AM7/29/09
to minix3
I'm download last release source (4730) and try run loadfont:

#loadfont /usr/lib/fonts/koi8-r.fnt (or any font)

do_copy: got request from 5 (source 1, seg 2048, destination 27342,seg
1024)
VM: do_memory: memory doesn't exist
VM: memory range 0xfe0d1000 nor available in 1
SYSTEM: VM replied -14 to mem request

And any font not work!
In release 4220 all work.

Roman

Jul 29, 2009, 2:07:59 AM7/29/09
to minix3
And release 4817 command loadfont also does not work :(

It's bug...

Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim

Jul 30, 2009, 3:01:29 AM7/30/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
FYI:

The compressed (bz2) MINIX ISO image is available at
http://kambing.ui.edu/minix/ISO/
http://komo.vlsm.org/minix/ISO/
The MD5SUM of minix3_1_4_ide_r4817.iso is (cmiiw)
ddcab05b2e896920c7585cc28c76dcea

The MINIX SRC R4834 is now available at
http://kambing.ui.edu/minix/src/
http://komo.vlsm.org/minix/src/