[minix3] svn checkout

Tom Chandler

Apr 16, 2010, 12:52:28 PM4/16/10
to minix3
I am running a test machine using the 3.1.5 iso. I did an svn
checkout of trunk, pulling
down rev 6776.

Tried make world, and it failed on the cp command.

Question: Should I have 3.1.6 installed before I do a svn checkout?

I am surprised that it failed, so something I am doing is wrong.

any suggestions on how to svn checkout current trunk for testing, from
a base 3.1.5 system.

Thank you
Tom C.

Evgeniy Ivanov

Apr 16, 2010, 12:56:36 PM4/16/10
to min...@googlegroups.com, Thomas Veerman
Hello,

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Tom Chandler <tchan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am running a test machine using the 3.1.5 iso.  I did an svn
> checkout of trunk, pulling
> down rev 6776.
>
> Tried make world, and it failed on the cp command.
>
> Question:  Should I have 3.1.6 installed before I do a svn checkout?
>
> I am surprised that it failed, so something I am doing is wrong.
>
> any suggestions on how to svn checkout current trunk for testing, from
> a base 3.1.5 system.

Here is an instruction suggested by Thomas Veerman:

About updating to trunk. Yes, I know it's hard and you have to do a
lot of stuff. The easiest way I think is to install 3.1.5 and then
update in steps to the same revision numbers as when docs/UPDATING was
updated. So:
cd /usr
rm -r src
svn -r 5612 co --username anonymous
https://gforge.cs.vu.nl/svn/minix/trunk/src src
chown -R bin src
cd src && make clean world && reboot -R

After a succesfull reboot you should've compiled and booted the same
src tree as was used to build the 3.1.5 CD.
Then update to r5774:
cd /usr/src
svn up -r 5774
cp /usr/src/etc/system.conf /etc
cp /usr/src/etc/passwd /etc
make clean world && reboot -R

Then update to r6188
cd /usr/src
svn up -r 6188
#Do what docs/UPDATING describes for 10100215:
cd commands/make && make install
cp /usr/src/commands/scripts/mkdep.sh /usr/bin/mkdep
cp /usr/src/etc/mk /etc
cp /usr/src/commands/i386/acd.descr /usr/lib/descr
cp /usr/lib/i86/end.a /usr/lib/i86/libend.a
cp /usr/lib/i386/end.a /usr/lib/i386/libend.a
cp /usr/gnu/lib/end.a /usr/gnu/lib/libend.a
cd /usr/src/commands/i386/asmconv && make install
cd /usr/src && make clean world && reboot -R

Then update to r6325
cd /usr/src
svn up -r 6325
cd commands/i386/gas2ack && make install
cd /usr/src && make clean world && reboot -R

Then update to r6357
cd /usr/src
svn up -r 6357
mv /usr/include/ibm /usr/include/i386
ln -s /usr/include/i386 /usr/include/machine
cd commands/simple && make /bin/install
cd /usr/src && make clean world && reboot -R

Then update to r6432
cd /usr/src
svn up -r 6432
mkdir /usr/man/man9
make clean world && reboot -R

Then update to r6441
cd /usr/src
svn up -r 6441
cp /usr/src/etc/system.conf /etc
make clean world && reboot -R

Then update to r6472:
cd /usr/src
svn up -r 6472
cd commands/i386/gas2ack && make install
cd /usr/src && make clean world && reboot -R

Then update to r6673
cd /usr/src
svn up -r 6674
cp /usr/src/etc/usr/rc /usr/etc/rc
make clean world && reboot -R

Then update to r6944:
cd /usr/src
svn up -r 6944
cp /usr/src/etc/usr/rc /usr/etc/rc
cp /usr/src/etc/rc /etc
make clean world && reboot -R

Then, finally, update to current trunk
cd /usr/src
svn up
make clean world && reboot -R

That's it. A long way to go. If you' re willing to give this a try,
let me know the outcome. :-)

Tom Chandler

Apr 16, 2010, 12:58:41 PM4/16/10
to min...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, wil try and report back results.

Thank You
Tom C.

Evgeniy Ivanov

Apr 16, 2010, 1:00:35 PM4/16/10
to min...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 8:58 PM, Tom Chandler <tchan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you, wil try and report back results.

No problem. When you have results, please CC to Thomas. If everything
is ok, then it can be added to the wiki.

--
Evgeniy Ivanov

Tom Chandler

Apr 16, 2010, 1:15:17 PM4/16/10
to min...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Evgeniy Ivanov <lolkaa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Tom Chandler <tchan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am running a test machine using the 3.1.5 iso.  I did an svn
> checkout of trunk, pulling
> down rev 6776.
>
> Tried make world, and it failed on the cp command.
>
> Question:  Should I have 3.1.6 installed before I do a svn checkout?
>
> I am surprised that it failed, so something I am doing is wrong.
>
> any suggestions on how to svn checkout current trunk for testing, from
> a base 3.1.5 system.

Here is an instruction suggested by Thomas Veerman:

About updating to trunk. Yes, I know it's hard and you have to do a
lot of stuff. The easiest way I think is to install 3.1.5 and then
update in steps to the same revision numbers as when docs/UPDATING was
updated. So:
cd /usr
rm -r src
svn -r 5612 co --username anonymous
https://gforge.cs.vu.nl/svn/minix/trunk/src src
chown -R bin src
cd src && make clean world && reboot -R
/*  my comments here */
   /*  issued the cd src && make clean world && reboot -R
   /*  it failed , I have listed the last six lines of the console message
   /*  rm -f core *.o *.out tzselect zdump zic yearistype date
   /*  cd tools && exec make - clean
   /*  cd ../kernel && make clean
   /*  make: Can't open .depend: No such file or directory
   /*  make in /usr/src/tools: Exit code 1
   /*  make in /usr/src: Exit code 1
   /*
  /*  so it failed very early in the first step, best I can tell......
Thank You
Tom c.

Evgeniy Ivanov

Apr 16, 2010, 1:49:08 PM4/16/10
to min...@googlegroups.com
Add "make depend", so string should look like "cd src && make clean
depend world && reboot -R"

--
Evgeniy Ivanov

Tom Chandler

Apr 16, 2010, 4:14:20 PM4/16/10
to min...@googlegroups.com
ok, got around the .depend problem on the svn 5612 update.  it applied correctly and
when boots, stat's 3.1.5 rev 5612...

Went to the next svn update ,   5774.  the svn and compile when clean, but when
the system reboots, it gives me errors and only mounts /.

error is:
Multiuser startup in progress ...: isRequest to RS failed:  Invalid argument (error 22)

system gives some more error msg, but the only partition mounted is /.

if you try to mount another partition, you get the same RS failed, error 22 messages.

So, the process went ok, but something else is wrong.

Now, back to 3.1.5 iso........

Thanks
Tom C.

Erik van der Kouwe

Apr 17, 2010, 3:59:35 AM4/17/10
to minix3
Hi,

> I am running a test machine using the 3.1.5 iso.  I did an svn
> checkout of trunk, pulling
> down rev 6776.

The easiest solution, unless you are continuously tracking trunk, is
to install a nearby revision using a CD image and then use SVN only
for small updates. I occasionally make CD images for my work,
currently I use this one: http://www.cs.vu.nl/~vdkouwe/minix3_1_7_ide_r6752.iso.bz2.

Don't forget to follow the instructions in docs/UPDATING.

With kind regards,
Erik

Thomas Veerman

Apr 18, 2010, 4:18:40 AM4/18/10
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

Did you make sure to first do

cp /usr/src/etc/system.conf /etc
cp /usr/src/etc/passwd /etc

before rebooting? drivers.conf was renamed to system.conf and a new user
'service' was added to the system, hence the need to copy the passwd file.

You can still do this by booting the 3.1.5 cd, then mount the root
partition and /usr partition, copy those files, and finally reboot:

#mount / partition on /mnt
mount /dev/c0d0p0s0 /mnt
#mount /usr partition on /mnt/usr
mount /dev/c0d0p0s2 /mnt/usr
#copy the files
cp /mnt/usr/src/etc/system.conf /mnt/etc
cp /mnt/usr/src/etc/passwd /mnt/etc
#reboot machine
reboot -R

Of course, if you didn't install Minix on the first drive, adjust above
mount commands to point to the correct drive.

--
Thomas Veerman

Tom Chandler wrote:
> ok, got around the .depend problem on the svn 5612 update. it applied
> correctly and
> when boots, stat's 3.1.5 rev 5612...
>
> Went to the next svn update , 5774. the svn and compile when clean,
> but when
> the system reboots, it gives me errors and only mounts /.
>
> error is:
> Multiuser startup in progress ...: isRequest to RS failed: Invalid
> argument (error 22)
>
> system gives some more error msg, but the only partition mounted is /.
>
> if you try to mount another partition, you get the same RS failed, error
> 22 messages.
>
> So, the process went ok, but something else is wrong.
>
> Now, back to 3.1.5 iso........
>
> Thanks
> Tom C.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5037 (20100418) __________

http://www.eset.com

sancho1980

Apr 20, 2010, 2:00:14 AM4/20/10
to minix3
hi
i am having the exact same problem after building r 5774
and yes i definitely did co system.conf and passwd before
but /usr cant be mounted!

Tomas Hruby

Apr 20, 2010, 2:41:54 AM4/20/10
to min...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 11:00:14PM -0700, sancho1980 wrote:
> hi
> i am having the exact same problem after building r 5774
> and yes i definitely did co system.conf and passwd before
> but /usr cant be mounted!

you also need to copy the rc scripts. Have a look at docs/UPDAING.

T.

Martin Knappe

Apr 20, 2010, 2:18:01 PM4/20/10
to min...@googlegroups.com
problem was i was accidentally booting into the old kernel
but i still can't login
system gets stuck on "startin networking"
startingNetworking.xcf

Gautam BT

May 15, 2010, 5:21:50 PM5/15/10
to min...@googlegroups.com, Thomas Veerman
Hello,

I attempted to update an old comp with a cdrom that no longer works starting from version 5774 to the current trunk. Find inline the modifications I had to make to some steps:

Then update to r6188
cd /usr/src
svn up -r 6188
#Do what docs/UPDATING describes for 10100215:
cd commands/make && make install
cp /usr/src/commands/scripts/mkdep.sh /usr/bin/mkdep
cp /usr/src/etc/mk /etc
cp /usr/src/commands/i386/acd.descr /usr/lib/descr
cp /usr/lib/i86/end.a /usr/lib/i86/libend.a
cp /usr/lib/i386/end.a /usr/lib/i386/libend.a
cp /usr/gnu/lib/end.a /usr/gnu/lib/libend.a
cd /usr/src/commands/i386/asmconv && make install
cd /usr/src && make clean world && reboot -R

I had to do make includes first. The source files for make use ar.h which does not seem to be have been missing in earlier revisions.

Then update to r6357
cd /usr/src
svn up -r 6357
mv /usr/include/ibm /usr/include/i386
ln -s /usr/include/i386 /usr/include/machine
cd commands/simple && make /bin/install
cd /usr/src && make clean world && reboot -R

I had to first build /bin/install and then do the mv and ln commands as the build was looking for header files in /usr/include/ibm.

Then update to r6432
cd /usr/src
svn up -r 6432
mkdir /usr/man/man9
make clean world && reboot -R

Then update to r6441
cd /usr/src
svn up -r 6441
cp /usr/src/etc/system.conf /etc
make clean world && reboot -R

I had to do a make clean first as there were object files leftover from the last run (svn update was trying to move and then add the awk directory)

Then update to r6472:
cd /usr/src
svn up -r 6472
cd commands/i386/gas2ack && make install
cd /usr/src && make clean world && reboot -R

Again I needed to do a make clean first (I think this should be the default in all steps)

Then, finally, update to current trunk
cd /usr/src
svn up
make clean world && reboot -R

Here I am having trouble with ash. The compiler complains about yyerrstatus not being declared in the yyerror function (yyerror uses the macro yyerrok which in turn uses the non global variable yyerrstatus). Any ideas?

--
Gautam

Arun Thomas

May 15, 2010, 5:33:22 PM5/15/10
to min...@googlegroups.com
Do you have bison installed? If so, make might be picking up
/usr/local/bin/yacc as opposed to our base system's yacc (/usr/bin/yacc).

Arun

Thomas Cort

May 16, 2010, 9:09:14 AM5/16/10
to minix3
> > Here I am having trouble with ash. The compiler complains about
> > yyerrstatus not being declared in the yyerror function (yyerror uses the
> > macro yyerrok which in turn uses the non global variable yyerrstatus).
> > Any ideas?
>
> Do you have bison installed? If so, make might be picking up
> /usr/local/bin/yacc as opposed to our base system's yacc (/usr/bin/yacc).

I had the same problem building ash. I had bison installed which put a
shell script named 'yacc' in /usr/local/bin to exec bison. I removed /
usr/local/bin/yacc, did a 'make clean' in /usr/src and I was able to
run 'make world' without any issue.

Thomas

Gautam BT

May 16, 2010, 12:45:38 PM5/16/10
to min...@googlegroups.com
That was indeed the issue, Thanks :)

--
Gautam

lensman3

May 17, 2010, 11:18:41 PM5/17/10
to minix3
I had problems building build 7012 from a couple of nights ago. Both
yacc and lex failed.
I had to read the headers of the Makefiles and copy the "c" versions
of the lex and yacc
outputs so the "make world" would work. Everything then worked.

J.O.

Erik van der Kouwe

May 18, 2010, 2:43:31 AM5/18/10
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> I had problems building build 7012 from a couple of nights ago. Both
> yacc and lex failed.
> I had to read the headers of the Makefiles and copy the "c" versions
> of the lex and yacc
> outputs so the "make world" would work. Everything then worked.

This was mentioned in docs/UPDATING. I recommend you check this file on
every update; not following its instructions may lead to an unbootable
system.

With kind regards,
Erik