hello to Minix list!

Larson, Timothy E.

Feb 12, 2010, 3:01:37 PM2/12/10
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hello, list,

I have started preliminary work on porting pkgsrc to Minix3. Hopefully there aren't too many sticking points, so we can have a better s/w package manager soon.

Tim

--
Tim Larson
App Admin, Intercall Production Services

Alex Sangiuliano

Feb 13, 2010, 5:05:07 AM2/13/10
to minix3
It is a near, medium or long-term project?

It can facilitate the port of other packages on MINIX?

Larson, Timothy E.

Feb 13, 2010, 8:39:10 PM2/13/10
to minix3
> It is a near, medium or long-term project?
>
> It can facilitate the port of other packages on MINIX?

If it goes well, I could probably knock it out in 3-4 months. (I haven't much free time.) If not, maybe a year. Of course, help of any kind would be appreciated, even if someone were just to step forward to answer any Minix-specific questions I may have along the way.

It will provide a framework, with dependency tracking, among other things. Porting work of individual packages would possibly still be needed, of course. But often, patches applied for the benefit of one OS will benefit others too by making it more generalized. So there'd be the benefit that pkgsrc is already used on 5-10 other OSs already.

Tim

Ben

Feb 13, 2010, 9:52:50 PM2/13/10
to minix3
This is a great idea; I've used several package systems as a sysadmin
and must say that pakgsrc is my true favorite. Does Minix3 have an
official package system?

Erik van der Kouwe

Feb 14, 2010, 4:49:50 AM2/14/10
to minix3
Hi,

> If it goes well, I could probably knock it out in 3-4 months.
> (I haven't much free time.)  If not, maybe a year.  Of course,
> help of any kind would be appreciated, even if someone
> were just to step forward to answer any Minix-specific
> questions I may have along the way.

Feel free to ask them here. There is also some useful information on
http://wiki.minix3.org/

With kind regards,
Erik

Erik van der Kouwe

Feb 14, 2010, 4:50:36 AM2/14/10
to minix3
Hi,

> This is a great idea; I've used several package systems as a sysadmin
> and must say that pakgsrc is my true favorite.  Does Minix3 have an
> official package system?

packman, which is a simple script downloading and extracting tarballs
and running scripts.

With kind regards,
Erik

Alex Sangiuliano

Feb 14, 2010, 6:12:00 AM2/14/10
to minix3
pkgsrc is alredy uses also on QNX, and QNX is a microkernel OS. This
is very good!

Erik van der Kouwe

Feb 14, 2010, 6:42:51 AM2/14/10
to minix3
Hi,

> pkgsrc is alredy uses also on QNX, and QNX is a microkernel OS. This
> is very good!

This kind of software always runs entirely in user mode, so whether it
is ported to a microkernel or monolithic OS doesn't matter much. The
problem in porting user-land software is generally that either the
program uses extensions to POSIX or makes assumptions that are not
portable across platforms or that POSIX features turn out to be
missing in MINIX (this is generally related to optional parts of the
specification but many programs do rely on those parts). Another
common problem is missing dependencies (porting package X may also
require porting package Y if X depends on it).

The story is different for porting drivers, which is harder in general
and where the microkernel/monolithic distinction does matter.

With kind regards,
Erik

Adrián Yanes

Feb 17, 2010, 4:56:01 AM2/17/10
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi Timothy I will be interested in help you with pkgsrc I was using
it in the past.

What is the status of the porting?

Cheers, Adrian.