The hideous, evil face of Christian fundamentalism

frantheman

Jan 15, 2010, 3:29:51 PM1/15/10
to "Minds Eye"
For those who haven't heard it, here's Pat Robinson's unspeakable
interpretation of the Haitian earthquake (with some good comment about
it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59NCduEhkBM&feature=related

Robertson is plainly mad, dangerously, viciously mad. That's not the
problem. The problem is that there are millions of US Americans who
believe the crap he talks (he got 3 million signatures to support his
1988 presidential bid) and they have made him an obscenely wealthy and
powerful man.

To many US Americans who are shocked at the hatred preached by
Islamicist mullahs I say; you have mirror-images of them in the USA,
and they are respected, revered and have ready access to the media.

It's enough to make one wonder about the limits of freedom of
speech ...

Francis

Twirlip

Jan 15, 2010, 4:42:26 PM1/15/10
to "Minds Eye"
One might hope that a less fundamentalist Christian, the Archbishop of
York for example, might have something saner to say.

Here he is, on yesterday's BBC Radio 4 programme "Today", talking to
interviewer John Humphrys, from about 2:31:51 to 2:37:43 on this 3-
hour-long RealAudio clip (sorry, couldn't find any short extract on
YouTube):

rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio4fmcoyopa/radio_4_fm_-_thursday_0600.ra

(Any comment from me, or anyone else, would be superfluous.)

Twirlip

Jan 15, 2010, 4:45:04 PM1/15/10
to "Minds Eye"
(That link might not work outside the UK. If not, sorry!)

Slip Disc

Jan 15, 2010, 5:48:13 PM1/15/10
to "Minds Eye"
Thanks Fran, this definitely balances out my early Muslim nervous
thread, eg; I definitely fear these fundamentalists and their maniacal
leadership equally as any terrorist group.

Twirlip

Jan 15, 2010, 6:14:54 PM1/15/10
to "Minds Eye"
Hmmm ... this is going back a bit (1995):

http://www.publiceye.org/ifas/fw/9512/armageddon.html

"Almost as if he were bored or disappointed with his enormous
influence on American politics and world events, Pat Robertson has
returned to making immediate preparation for Armageddon his principle
focus. In 1980, he announced to his staff that God had revealed to him
that the end of the world would follow a war in the Middle East in
1982. Robertson's 1988 presidential bid and the formation of the
Christian Coalition and American Center for Law and Justice were all
outgrowths of the distress Robertson experienced when the prophecy
failed. About three years ago, Robertson settled on 2007 as his
revised estimate for this world's last year. He reasoned that 2007
makes forty years since the Six Day War and four hundred years since
the founding of the Jamestown settlement in 1607.

In October, Robertson published his first novel, The End of the Age.
According to Robertson, this novel is a biblically correct and
authentic representation of how the end of the world is likely to
unfold in 2007. [...]"

True story! :-)

Twirlip

Jan 15, 2010, 6:46:45 PM1/15/10
to "Minds Eye"
Finally, a chance to vote for Pat Robertson!

http://newhumanist.org.uk/2205/bad-faith-awards-2009

"Nominations are already open for the 2010 Bad Faith Awards. Put
forward your favourite charlatans by emailing
edi...@newhumanist.org.uk and stay up to date on the New Humanist
Blog."

fiddler

Jan 15, 2010, 7:18:02 PM1/15/10
to "Minds Eye"
> To many US Americans who are shocked at the hatred preached by
> Islamicist mullahs I say; you have mirror-images of them in the USA,
> and they are respected, revered and have ready access to the media.

Exactly my point. This kind of yec, bigoted, and reprehensible idiocy
is quite common and becoming moreso here in America. Too many people
are following the path of ray Comfort, Ken Hamm, Pat Robertson, and so
on. These people must be stopped. It wouldn't be as bad if there
weren't millions of uneducated people to follow them around and absorb
and regurgitate this terrible dogma of science being bad and yet it's
good that god murders thousands of people for a ceremony held under a
tree to a spirit sometime in the past.
It seems to me that if there were a god that was angry, a single
lightning bolt would have killed the perpetrators...but it just ain't
god's style. Instead, as always according to religion, god waits
decades and centuries to murder everyone NOT affiliated with the crime
but still unfortunate to live near the region of the crime. I know, I
know, mysterious ways and all...

OK molly, I'll stop so that you can tell me how wrong I am to offend
you now.

On Jan 15, 12:29 pm, frantheman <francis.h...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> For those who haven't heard it, here's Pat Robinson's unspeakable
> interpretation of the Haitian earthquake (with some good comment about
> it):
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59NCduEhkBM&feature=related
>
> Robertson is plainly mad, dangerously, viciously mad. That's not the
> problem. The problem is that there are millions of US Americans who
> believe the crap he talks (he got 3 million signatures to support his
> 1988 presidential bid) and they have made him an obscenely wealthy and
> powerful man.

archytas

Jan 15, 2010, 11:05:29 PM1/15/10
to "Minds Eye"
Where are the people we could vote for to end as much of this nonsense
as we can and develop fellowship?
Message has been deleted

Slip Disc

Jan 15, 2010, 11:19:27 PM1/15/10
to "Minds Eye"
Their on planet Krypton.

ornamentalmind

Jan 16, 2010, 12:36:33 AM1/16/10
to "Minds Eye"
This was my response to Robertson's (not Robinson's) Haiti crap. I
posted it in a different group in response to dear cray Pat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvVlfCMUQoI&feature=related

It seems appropriate somehow.

ornamentalmind

Jan 16, 2010, 12:42:34 AM1/16/10
to "Minds Eye"
Perhaps we could all just play some soccer to get along…oh, wait, not
in Egypt though, right? :D

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/religion-and-beliefs/news/article.cfm?c_id=301&objectid=10620572

Don Johnson

Jan 16, 2010, 2:39:19 AM1/16/10
to mind...@googlegroups.com
It was a foolish and insensitive thing to say. He may very well be
mad; I don't know. It's more likely he was just looking for headlines
and got what he was looking for. Free speech shouldn't be limited but
I would feel better if the networks would stop letting him use them as
his mouth piece. Just stop asking him to act as the token WASP
pundit. Get some new blood.

How about this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJZyxJf3rb4&feature=related

-Don

frantheman

Jan 16, 2010, 8:52:17 AM1/16/10
to "Minds Eye"

On 16 Jan., 06:36, ornamentalmind <ornamentalm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> This was my response to Robertson's (not Robinson's) Haiti crap.

Ooops! Freudian slip, I suppose. I've been following another story
involving protestant fundamentalists in N. Ireland - the Mrs. Robinson
affair - and I guess it kind of spilled over ...
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/here-beginneth-the-hardest-of-lessons-for-the-robinsons-2007231.html

Francis

frantheman

Jan 16, 2010, 9:32:13 AM1/16/10
to "Minds Eye"
For a thinking analysis of some of the strange issues involved in
evangelical protestantism, this is rather good:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2010/0116/1224262453386.html

On 16 Jan., 14:52, frantheman <francis.h...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 16 Jan., 06:36, ornamentalmind <ornamentalm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > This was my response to Robertson's (not Robinson's) Haiti crap.
>
> Ooops! Freudian slip, I suppose. I've been following another story
> involving protestant fundamentalists in N. Ireland - the Mrs. Robinson

> affair - and I guess it kind of spilled over ...http://www.independent.ie/national-news/here-beginneth-the-hardest-of...
>
> Francis

ornamentalmind

Jan 16, 2010, 12:08:45 PM1/16/10
to "Minds Eye"
Fran, within the article one finds “…On the one hand, being chosen by
God generates passion and conviction. On the other, it does not fit
easily with notions of accountability…” For many of us, the terms
‘passion’ and ‘conviction’ can all too easily be substituted with one…
fanaticism. And, this latter word aptly describes the unbalanced
psyche of those obsessed with right/wrong. Overall, the examples given
in the article, those who hear specific words from god…along with the
rest including W…are easily analyzed by psychology today. And, even
though Regan all but defunded mental health in the US, surly a place
can be found in some institution for them rather than parading such
bizarre and clownish behavior on the media as if it were the Jerry
Springer show instead of ‘news’. Oh, wait…I forgot, being corporately
funded, such programs find ‘truth’ one place and only one place…the
bottom line. Perhaps antipsychotics could be funded and passed out
instead? Of course, this is not the view of many atheists alone… it
includes many religiously inclined too.

So before I’m pilloried and burned at the stake of Perpetual PC, I’ll
assign all of the above to having been nothing more than a bad dream…a
nightmare in fact… perhaps caused by eating too much popcorn too late
at night. (No, I don’t think it was wafers.)

frantheman

Jan 16, 2010, 12:34:36 PM1/16/10
to "Minds Eye"
Roger Waters wrote a nice little song about the kind of institution
you are thinking of, Orn ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dpyjvo3XWk

Francis

fiddler

Jan 16, 2010, 1:14:27 PM1/16/10
to "Minds Eye"
Alas, they appear to be hiding. After having a divisive president that
led us into war and felt driven by god followed by a divisive
president intent on dismantling as much of our constitution as
possible, I'm hopeful that they may again be found.
There is an unfortunate desire in America to elect presidents from the
poles, the 10% of either extreme. These presidents then make life very
uncomfortable for politicians that do not fall squarely into either
the "ally" category nor the "enemy" category.

ornamentalmind

Jan 16, 2010, 1:52:26 PM1/16/10
to "Minds Eye"
Very apt fran...I believe that video has been shown here more than
once!...perhaps for the obvious reasons. It is sort of the yin of the
yang of 'King of Hearts' as I see it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060908/
Sadly, this trailer didn't work on my machine.
http://www.spout.com/films/King_of_Hearts/19001/default.aspx

ornamentalmind

Jan 16, 2010, 1:54:23 PM1/16/10
to "Minds Eye"
...such is the weakness of a two party system...

Alan Wostenberg

Jan 16, 2010, 6:33:42 PM1/16/10
to "Minds Eye"
Thanks for mentioning Archbishop Dolan. "haiti", he says, "is the
broken body of Christ". Here is the youtube link to a 7 minute excerpt
on Haiti
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYOpE-9B0So

And here is the Catholic Relief Services donation page. CRS did not
have to parachute people in; they were already on the ground helping
out Haitians.
http://crs-blog.org/

To the atheists: I get that you won't be donating to Pat Robertson's
organization. How do you donate funds to a tragedy like this?

Alan Wostenberg

Jan 16, 2010, 6:39:37 PM1/16/10
to "Minds Eye"
So you won't be donating to Pat Robertson. We Catholics will likely be
asked at Sunday for a second donation, and give. Catholic Relief
Services http://crs-blog.org/ is collecting $200,000/hour, and did not
have to parachute people in because they were already in Haiti. Who
will ask the atheists do donate? I will. Give. Find a charity you
trust. And give. Generously!

Twirlip

Jan 16, 2010, 8:29:53 PM1/16/10
to "Minds Eye"
On Jan 16, 11:33 pm, Alan Wostenberg <awo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for mentioning Archbishop Dolan.

Google tells me he's the Roman Catholic Archbishop of New York.

Perhaps I caused some offence or confusion by carelessly implying that
the Archbishop of York (England) could only be C of E, but Google also
seems to tell me that there is no Roman Catholic Archbishop of York,
so there was no real ambiguity.

I know, mere details - when there's been an earthquake - but I haven't
found my feet here, and things have been getting unpleasant, as well
as confusing, and I don't know what is going on, so it is as well to
clarify whatever I can.

> On Jan 15, 1:42 pm, Twirlip <ang...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> > One might hope that a less fundamentalist Christian, the Archbishop of

> > York for example, might have something saner to say. [...]

Don Johnson

Jan 17, 2010, 12:26:18 AM1/17/10
to mind...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 11:34 AM, frantheman
<franci...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Roger Waters wrote a nice little song about the kind of institution
> you are thinking of, Orn ...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dpyjvo3XWk
>
> Francis

And this one as well to put it all in perspective...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRnQ65J02XA

-Don

frantheman

Jan 17, 2010, 5:59:33 AM1/17/10
to "Minds Eye"

On 17 Jan., 00:33, Alan Wostenberg <awo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To the atheists: I get that you won't be donating to Pat Robertson's
> organization. How do you donate funds to a tragedy like this?

MSF have an excellent record worldwide. They already had three
facilities in place in Haiti but reports suggest that they have all
been badly damaged.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3628

Francis

iam deheretic

Jan 17, 2010, 6:54:09 AM1/17/10
to mind...@googlegroups.com
The reality is hatred sells  and is an easy sell ..  and that is in all forms of beliefs or non beliefs, it is easier to put blinders on  and chant the group thing saying we are right and God or what ever or not creating an illusion of their personal truth  than be truly rational.

Allan

(
 )
I_D Allan

ornamentalmind

Jan 17, 2010, 10:51:00 AM1/17/10
to "Minds Eye"
The following is from the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

Dear Pat Robertson,

I know that you know that all press is good press, so I
appreciate
the shout-out. And you make God look like a big mean bully who kicks
people when they are down, so I'm all over that action. But when you
say that Haiti has made a pact with me, it is totally humiliating. I
may be evil incarnate, but I'm no welcher. The way you put it, making
a deal with me leaves folks desperate and impoverished. Sure, in the
afterlife, but when I strike bargains with people, they first get
something here on earth -- glamour, beauty, talent, wealth, fame,
glory, a golden fiddle. Those Haitians have nothing, and I mean
nothing. And that was before the earthquake. Haven't you seen
"Crossroads"? Or "Damn Yankees"? If I had a thing going with Haiti,
there'd be lots of banks, skyscrapers, SUVs, exclusive night clubs,
Botox -- that kind of thing. An 80 percent poverty rate is so not my
style. Nothing against it -- I'm just saying: Not how I roll. You're
doing great work, Pat, and I don't want to clip your wings -- just,
come on, you're making me look bad. And not the good kind of bad.
Keep
blaming God. That's working. But leave me out of it, please. Or we
may
need to renegotiate your own contract.

Best, Satan

source: http://www.startribune.com/opinion/letters/81595442.html

On Jan 17, 3:54 am, iam deheretic <dehere...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The reality is hatred sells  and is an easy sell ..  and that is in all
> forms of beliefs or non beliefs, it is easier to put blinders on  and chant
> the group thing saying we are right and God or what ever or not creating an
> illusion of their personal truth  than be truly rational.
>
> Allan
>

> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 9:29 PM, frantheman <francis.h...@googlemail.com>wrote:
>

> > For those who haven't heard it, here's Pat Robinson's unspeakable
> > interpretation of the Haitian earthquake (with some good comment about
> > it):
>
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59NCduEhkBM&feature=related
>
> > Robertson is plainly mad, dangerously, viciously mad. That's not the
> > problem. The problem is that there are millions of US Americans who
> > believe the crap he talks (he got 3 million signatures to support his
> > 1988 presidential bid) and they have made him an obscenely wealthy and
> > powerful man.
>
> > To many US Americans who are shocked at the hatred preached by
> > Islamicist mullahs I say; you have mirror-images of them in the USA,
> > and they are respected, revered and have ready access to the media.
>
> > It's enough to make one wonder about the limits of freedom of
> > speech ...
>
> > Francis
>
> > --

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/minds-eye?hl=en.
>
> --
> (
>  )

> I_D Allan- Hide quoted text -

frantheman

Jan 17, 2010, 11:16:13 AM1/17/10
to "Minds Eye"
And, of course, Mick and Keith's background music ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL_RbCGxqsc

(Got there first, Don ... again :-))

Francis

Justintruth

Jan 18, 2010, 8:43:11 AM1/18/10
to "Minds Eye"
You also could try Doctors without Borders. They don't have the
baggage that the Catholic church does.

On Jan 17, 12:39 am, Alan Wostenberg <awo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So you won't be donating to Pat Robertson. We Catholics will likely be
> asked at Sunday for a second donation, and give. Catholic Relief

> Serviceshttp://crs-blog.org/is collecting $200,000/hour, and did not

frantheman

Jan 18, 2010, 11:04:12 AM1/18/10
to "Minds Eye"
I already posted a link about them, Justin. I just used the French
abbreviation MSF (Medecins sans Frontiers) - force of habit, I
guess :-)

Francis

On 18 Jan., 14:43, Justintruth <truth.jus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You also could try Doctors without Borders. They don't have the
> baggage that the Catholic church does.
>
> On Jan 17, 12:39 am, Alan Wostenberg <awo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > So you won't be donating to Pat Robertson. We Catholics will likely be
> > asked at Sunday for a second donation, and give. Catholic Relief

> > Serviceshttp://crs-blog.org/iscollecting $200,000/hour, and did not

imjonah

Jan 18, 2010, 5:09:21 PM1/18/10
to "Minds Eye"

"illusion of their personal truth than be truly rational. "

and what exactly might the being truly rational be?

At what point does the denunciation of "hatred" or "hate speech"
pass a over, or become sufficiently angry and vicious to be itself a
form of hate speech.