Best examples of gov't-to-gov't software re-use?

Karl Fogel

Oct 27, 2011, 2:21:28 PM10/27/11
to Military Open Source Software
(Note this was also posted on another list [0], so some of you may have seen it there.)

The City of New York is embarking on an open source project, including an improved Checkbook NYC Beta site [1]. One thing they're looking for is real-life examples of gov't-to-gov't code re-use -- this will help them advocate for more such projects.

Specifically: examples where Government A released something as open source software, then Government B used it, resulting in

* Savings for Government B, or
* Savings for Government A later when B improved the software, or
* Some other quantifiable benefit

I'll ask elsewhere too, and look over Scott Goodwin's marvelous spreadsheet [2] to see what I can find, but if anyone here has great examples, please post them. I will be collecting them at http://wiki.civiccommons.org/Open_Source_Examples -- we'd like this to be an advocacy resource for everyone.

-Karl

[0] http://groups.google.com/a/civiccommons.org/group/discuss/browse_thread/thread/c885a710b33de86c#

[1] http://www.comptroller.nyc.gov/mymoneynyc/checkbooknyc/
(Already an excellent financial transparency site, IMHO, and they want to take it further.)

[2] https://docs.google.com/a/civiccommons.org/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlXDdNQEU-8fdDI0OFJEVXRYNGhDNVRrVDhUS19LVVE&hl=en&pli=1#gid=0

John Scott III

Oct 28, 2011, 4:27:10 PM10/28/11
to mil...@googlegroups.com
case of fed gov to gov case:
DOE funded the precursors to the HIB CaBIG project

> --
>
> www.mil-oss.org

John Scott
240.401.6574
< jms...@gmail.com >
http://powdermonkey.blogs.com
@johnmscott

Have you joined MIL-OSS?:
http://groups.google.com/group/mil-oss
http://mil-oss.org/

Karl Fogel

Oct 28, 2011, 6:04:41 PM10/28/11
to mil...@googlegroups.com
John Scott III <jms...@gmail.com> writes:
>case of fed gov to gov case:
>DOE funded the precursors to the HIB CaBIG project

Very helpful -- thanks, John!

-K

Karl Fogel

Nov 1, 2011, 2:21:14 PM11/1/11
to mil...@googlegroups.com
John Scott III <jms...@gmail.com> writes:
>case of fed gov to gov case:
>DOE funded the precursors to the HIB CaBIG project

That's the thing now at NCI/NIH -- the system for exchanging clinical
trial information?

http://cabig.cancer.gov/solutions/applications/integrationhub/
https://cabig.nci.nih.gov/tools/caBIGIntegrationHub

I didn't realize DOE had funded initial work (seems odd that they would,
but hey, what's in a name?). I'm guessing that's

"Department of Energy workshop grant DE-FG02-04ER63931"

as detailed in http://authors.library.caltech.edu/20219/ ?

Sanity-checking here because I just got the above from Google :-).

-K

John Scott III

Nov 2, 2011, 9:19:01 AM11/2/11
to mil...@googlegroups.com
from what I understand (please, please someone correct me) the software used for massive parallel computation was adopted by NIH after DOE funded and released it. I think that the code was split off from http://paraview.org/ (?) or the DOE Science Grid

I saw a ref in a doc about this and was told this by a DOE person (sorry can't find the ref)

interestingly here is Gforge for the National Cancer Institute: http://gforge.nci.nih.gov/

js

Karl Fogel

Nov 7, 2011, 5:47:15 PM11/7/11
to mil...@googlegroups.com
John Scott III <jms...@gmail.com> writes:
>from what I understand (please, please someone correct me) the
>software used for massive parallel computation was adopted by NIH
>after DOE funded and released it. I think that the code was split off
>from http://paraview.org/ (?) or the DOE Science Grid
>
>I saw a ref in a doc about this and was told this by a DOE person
>(sorry can't find the ref)
>
>interestingly here is Gforge for the National Cancer Institute:
>http://gforge.nci.nih.gov/

Thank you! I've added these details to

http://wiki.civiccommons.org/Open_Source_Case_Studies#Gov-to-Gov_Re-use_Examples

...so at least the relevant references are handy.

-Karl