[Mifos-users] Mifos selects Pentaho for its reporting solution

Adam Feuer

Jun 16, 2010, 3:52:22 PM6/16/10
to Mifos Developers, Mifos Users
Mifos Community,

We are pleased to inform you that we have decided to use the most
widely-used open source reporting product [1], Pentaho, as our
reporting platform.

We are very excited with this decision, and we think Mifos and Pentaho
together mean our customers and users will get the best of
microfinance software and business intelligence software together in
one system. Pentaho Business Intelligence Suite brings the following
benefits:

* Pentaho is Open Source end-to-end. All its Business Intelligence
(BI) systems from simple reporting to data warehousing will not
require a license fee.

* Its BI systems are integrated, allowing for easy addition of
reporting functions such as Reporting Servers and Dashboards.

* Pentaho uses an open source metadata system that facilitates easy
report creation and maintenance.

* Pentaho has popular output options including Adobe PDF, HTML, MS
Excel, Rich Text format, or plain text.

* Pentaho has an open source report designer with a strong user
interface for easy report generation.

* Pentaho's Report Server runs BIRT and Jasper reports as well as
Pentaho reports.

We will continue to support existing customers that are using BIRT and
Jasper reporting solutions, and we will be developing a transition
plan to help customers migrate to our solution over time. This plan
will include details on features and training options.

You can find out more about Pentaho at http://www.pentaho.com/ and see
extensive documentation at http://community.pentaho.com

In addition, there are several good books on Pentaho:

Pentaho Solutions: Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing with
Pentaho and MySQL
Roland Bouman, Jos van Dongen
http://www.amazon.com/Pentaho-Solutions-Business-Intelligence-Warehousing/dp/0470484322

Pentaho Reporting 3.5 for Java Developers
Will Gorman
http://www.amazon.com/Pentaho-Reporting-3-5-Java-Developers/dp/1847193196

Pentaho 3.2 Data Integration: Beginner's Guide
María Carina Roldán
http://www.amazon.com/Pentaho-3-2-Data-Integration-Beginners/dp/1847199542

Pentaho Kettle Solutions: Building Open Source ETL Solutions with
Pentaho Data Integration [not out yet]
Matt Casters, Roland Bouman, Jos van Dongen
http://www.amazon.com/Pentaho-Kettle-Solutions-Building-Integration/dp/0470635177

Please respond to this thread with any questions you have regarding
the transition, and I and others on the Mifos team will do our best to
answer them!

Notes:

[1] http://www.b-eye-network.com/files/2009%20Open%20Source%20BI%20and%20Reporting%20Research%20Report.pdf

cheers