[Mifos-developer] Points for functional use of mifos

Pradeep Ku. Panda

May 20, 2010, 12:06:39 AM5/20/10
to Edward Cable, Ryan Whitney, Developer

Hi All,

The followings are some functional area which may be considered at the development of the new version of mifos.

As we know that our primary objective is to be served and provide the economic empowerment to the poorest people. So that we provide them micro-loans to encourage and invest those loans to a small business. And the client repayments their loans, thus the funds are again converted into new loans, so that multiplying the number of peoples can get the benefit.

To track that transaction we use mifos. As mifos is web based micro finance software, we can get the benefit from that, but to use mifos the minimum requirements are having the proper supply of electricity, computer and Internet.

But in reality most of poor people lives in the village area, where they also free from electricity, and telephone. In that area we are providing the loans to those people.

Where the entry process in the mifos is to be hampered due to the inconsistency of electricity and Internet.

For which the MIS ultimately hampered.

As MIS is the backbone of any Information System solution.

MFIs, whether large or small, need to have a strong back-office MIS

before attempting to deploy any advanced front-end applications or delivery channels. These

would be worthless without having a strong and flexible back-office MIS in place.

So for strong MIS we have to use flexible software.

Therefore I request you if some modules of mifos such as (enter collection sheet data, Can edit self information, Can create new Client in save for later state, Can create new Client in submit for approval state, Can change state to partial application, Can change state to On Hold, application pending approval, Can add notes to Client, Can create new group in save for later state, new group in submit for approval state, Can change state to partial application, Active, On Hold, application pending approval, Can add notes to group, Can create new Center, modify Center information, edit Center status, Can create new loan account in Submit for approval state, Can change state to pending approval) will be available in a excel sheet or in J2ME module. It will be better for those mifos implemented organization.

Why we use excel sheet?

  So many end users ( Data entry operator) have a good expertise in excel. So if we provide some excel formats to them where they can enter the data in offline. Then that excel sheet send to the next branch where internet is available in that branch we can upload that excel sheet to the database.

Why J2ME is to be needed?

 Though some of the areas free from internet connective but those areas have the facility to use the mobile phones. If we’ll be developed the above modules of mifos in a mobile package then it’ll be better for those mifos implemented organizations, for working in such remote area where no internet connectivity but have the mobile connectivity. As many people frequently use the mobile phones, the J2ME package will not create such problem for them. Just like the typing of sms the user can enter the data to the J2ME software.

In mifos front end we are using the following types of date format to be inputted.

1 – DD-MM-YYYY

2 – DD/MM/YYYY

3 – YYYY-MM-DD

  And also some date fields are provided only text box to enter date without showing any parameter. So I just request you to be considered as whenever it is required to input the date by the user the date should be inputted by the help of DateTimePicker and have the standardize format. So that the user only select the date from the DateTimePicker.

Thanks & Regards
_________________
Pradeep Kumar Panda.

MIS Executive
Adhikar Microfinance Pvt. Ltd.
Corporate Office
Bhubaneshwar, Orissa.
Cell: 09338430676
Web: www.adhikarindia.org

virender

May 30, 2010, 4:54:57 AM5/30/10
to mifos-d...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi Pradeep, Thanks for your comments. I am trying to understand the
requirements for "Offline Collection Sheet Entry" use case. The
discussion surrounding the requirement and the technology to use in
this use case can be found in another thread: "interested in working
on "Offline Collection Sheet Entry Prototype"

I have a query about ground reality:

> Why we use excel sheet?
>
>   So many end users ( Data entry operator) have a good expertise in excel.
> So if we provide some excel formats to them where they can enter the data in
> offline. Then that excel sheet send to the next branch where internet is
> available in that branch we can upload that excel sheet to the database.

Can you please help me understand how the data flows from the field to
the mifos web application? We have a field operator at one hand who
does not have access to internet and collects data to be populated
through mifos web application, and branches having internet access
where an operator can add/update data using mifos web application at
the other end. How does the data flow between these two points? What
is the medium of the data and format of the data between these two
points? What all the field operator is equipped with (mobile set,
laptop etc)?

Thanks,
Virender

On May 19, 9:06 pm, "Pradeep Ku. Panda" <pradeep....@adhikarindia.org>

Pradeep Ku. Panda

May 31, 2010, 5:23:36 AM5/31/10
to Mifos software development
Dear virender ,
The followings are some clear information towards our requirement of the off line working sheet.
Those areas which have the electricity connection but no internet connectivity for those area it is better way to enter the data by using excel sheet. So we provide some excel formats according to our mifos format and then that excel sheet (containing the data) copy by pen drive or cd drive and move to the nearest branch where both the electricity and internet is available.
At that branch if we provide any tools for upload those data into our live database i.e (mifos db).
At the time of uploading the excel sheet to the live db. There is a problem with the date of the transaction. For example we enter the collection amount at the current date or the collection date into excel sheet ( which is off line ) and when it’ll be uploaded to the mifos database the date may be differed. Suppose we enter the data into excel sheet on dated 21-05-2010 and that data reached at the nearest branch on dated 31-05-2010, where both the connectivity (electricity & internet) are available.
Here more important is that in which way we upload the data from excel to the live db. The excel sheet date is upload and update the live db accordingly though that day is the late date for the mifos.
And find the attachment which shows an example of the offline working sheet. ( That is only a layout)

--
Collection Sheet.xlsx

virender

Jun 1, 2010, 12:45:39 AM6/1/10
to mifos-d...@lists.sourceforge.net
Thanks for information Pradeep. I have a follow up question:

> At the time of uploading the excel sheet to the live db.

I believe there is no support for uploading the excel sheet (the excel
sheet itself) through the web application. What you mean by "uploading
excel sheet to live db" is that the data entry operator copies the
data from the excel sheet and uses the mifos web application user
interface to put the data in the live db. Is my understanding right?

The second point you raised is about the issue around date of
transaction. I need to look into this business logic in mifos. I am
new to mifos and trying to understand the application.

Regards,
Virender

On May 31, 2:23 am, "Pradeep Ku. Panda" <pradeep....@adhikarindia.org>
wrote:

>  Collection Sheet.xlsx
> 12KViewDownload
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---

Pradeep Ku. Panda

Jun 1, 2010, 4:12:39 AM6/1/10
to Mifos software development

Hi Virender,

 "uploading excel sheet to live db" means
we should provide any tools by which the user transfer the excel sheet data to the live db.
In that process the data may be transfered directly from the excel sheet or if u provide any tools,
so that the excel sheet data can transfer that tools and then transfer to the live db.

It should not be occured that again by viewing the data from the excel sheet again the user enter
the data to mifos db.

Ed Cable

Jun 2, 2010, 1:55:26 AM6/2/10
to Mifos software development
Virender,

Have you read up on our documentation on the most recent APIs and plug-ins we've developed to support the import of .csv and .xls files into Mifos?

The first plug-in was built to support the import of banking transactions for Al Majmoua via a .csv file.

This API has been extended to support new plug-ins that allow for the import of m-pesa transaction data via .xls for an MFI in Kenya, KEEF.

The Al Majmoua functionality is described here: http://bit.ly/ayCjYM

More on plug-in management is located here: http://bit.ly/cJfZBO

If you haven't looked through it, here's some additional information on the Mifos Light project that Logica lead in Kenya.

Original Functional Specs: http://bit.ly/8XJryh

It was decided that the approach taken was much too heavy and a more lightweight approach that's outlined in the volunteer project page was needed to address offline.

I can email you separately some more information on Mifos Light discussion that occurred off-list.

Ed

virender

Jun 13, 2010, 6:58:23 PM6/13/10
to mifos-d...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi Ed, Thanks for the information.
I am confused regarding the requirements. There seems to be two
different requirements.
1. For branches that have no internet connectivity.
2. For branches that have internet connectivity but is not regular.

There are different ways to provide the functionality - the one that
is provided by mifos light, html5 offline support and xls sheet
support in mifos web application for different use cases.

I am stuck up and would like to understand the requirements better. If
I can get help from you or some one else over IRC chat session or
otherwise, it would be great. I am new to mifos and hand holding for
some time will be really very beneficial and would help me be
productive sooner.

Thanks,
Virender

lucky parental unit. See the prize list and enter to win:
http://p.sf.net/sfu/thinkgeek-promo