Gas Lawn Mower engine

Daniel Kohn

Jun 4, 2011, 3:30:08 PM6/4/11
to MidSouth Makers
Hi all,

As I said at the meeting last night:

I have a lawn mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine on it that runs for a minute or two and dies. Probably someone with some mechanical ability could get the engine back up and going (it has not been maintained AT ALL), but I just don't want to deal with it. So it anyone has a project they need a small engine for (go cart, generator etc) let me know and I can bring the mower to the space.

Dan Kohn

paul....@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2011, 4:01:26 PM6/4/11
to MidSouth Makers
I'm in.

P()

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

From: Daniel Kohn <dko...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 14:30:08 -0500
To: MidSouth Makers<midsout...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [MidsouthMakers] Gas Lawn Mower engine

Ed Stafford

Jun 5, 2011, 1:21:36 AM6/5/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like one of the following:

1) Air filter needs replacing
2) Fuel pump check valve has gone bad, needs replacing
3) Carb needs rebuild kit

About $15-20 to fix all of it.

--
Ed Stafford

paul....@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2011, 11:24:48 AM6/7/11
to MidSouth Makers
Brought it in?

P()

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

From: Daniel Kohn <dko...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 14:30:08 -0500
To: MidSouth Makers<midsout...@googlegroups.com>

Daniel Kohn

Jun 9, 2011, 12:02:49 AM6/9/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com

Will get it to the space Fri or Sat.

All I ask is that it is used for a maker project and NOT taken to someones house to be used as a lawn mower and that you share what was done with the group!

See ya friday

On Jun 7, 2011 10:24 AM, <paul....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Brought it in?
>
> P()
> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Danny Chamberlin

Jun 9, 2011, 1:03:06 AM6/9/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
I would say that we first go ahead and remove the blade for safety's sake before we do anything with it (this will also hopefully motivate us to repurpose it)

Danny

paul....@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2011, 2:29:05 AM6/9/11
to MidSouth Makers
Nope, fix the problem first, don't want to fix it without a load.

P()

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

From: Danny Chamberlin <crit...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 00:03:06 -0500
Subject: Re: [MidsouthMakers] Gas Lawn Mower engine

John Wood

Jun 9, 2011, 8:24:04 AM6/9/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
I'd take that as Paul volunteering to be a load

paul....@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2011, 8:50:20 AM6/9/11
to MidSouth Makers
I was thinking of making a swampboat or personal hovercraft, it'd be too heavy for a flying machine.

P()

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

From: John Wood <jwo...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 07:24:04 -0500

Danny Chamberlin

Jun 9, 2011, 9:47:23 AM6/9/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com

I think a hovercraft would be a great group project-it would combine a lot of our diverse skills and be a bit of an eyecatcher we can build publicity off of...especially if we innovate, like monitor air pressure with an arduino, remote control it, etc...

Danny

Ed Stafford

Jun 9, 2011, 10:45:16 AM6/9/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Just as a recommendation - Go with a belt-driven go-kart first.. It's
a simple enough design, and doesn't require as many moving parts..
Plus it'd help with that welding practice that a lot of folks
mentioned.

Then, if you're feeling frisky; vamp the engine up with your own
injectors/blowers/etc. and see if you can make a 3.5HP engine hit
around 8-10HP :)

--
Ed Stafford

Trent Bontly

Jun 9, 2011, 10:49:51 AM6/9/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
that takes all the fun out of it.  And I actually know a guy who stuck his hand under one and lost three fingers
Trent A. Bontly

Trent Bontly

Jun 9, 2011, 10:51:42 AM6/9/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
I agree with the go Kart first, and definitely as a group project

Sonny Mounicou

Jun 9, 2011, 12:03:11 PM6/9/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
I think you'll be hard pressed to build a hovercraft that will support
a human off of a push mower sized motor. To also support a fan would
require the creation of a transmission which is most likely above and
beyond the scope here. Creating a go-kart would be cool. The
transmission from the mower could likely be reused depending upon the
torque requirements. I'd vote for the go-kart ...

Mark Turnage

Jun 9, 2011, 12:39:06 PM6/9/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Is a hovercraft possible? Yes. There was an early Mythbusters episode
where they did it with electric leafblower motors.

Is it a good idea? Not really. Go-Kart would not only be easier, it'd
be a lot more fun to build IMHO. There's quite a few sites and plans
out there.
--
Mark Turnage

Mark Turnage

Jun 9, 2011, 12:39:46 PM6/9/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Not to mention it could make for one helluva R/C or robotics project
at some point... <g>

--
Mark Turnage

Trent Bontly

Jun 9, 2011, 12:40:34 PM6/9/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
put a gun on it and..... sorry
Trent A. Bontly

John Wood

Jun 9, 2011, 12:33:14 PM6/9/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Mythbusters used leaf blowers as far as a proof of concept. But I can see the point.

The go kart would be a nice idea as long as we put the "Maker" spin on it in some fashion

Mark Turnage

Jun 9, 2011, 12:52:58 PM6/9/11
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 11:33 AM, John Wood <jwo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The go kart would be a nice idea as long as we put the "Maker" spin on it in
> some fashion

I can give you a perfect example, but it's going to take some hunting
on the group's part: bamboo frame. Done properly, it'd be as sturdy as
anything else we'd have. Just a matter of scouting out local patches.

--
Mark Turnage

paul....@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2011, 1:06:39 PM6/9/11
to MidSouth Makers
I think I was the first to ask for the engine, and I STILL want a personal hovercraft, but I'm fine with it going to a group project go-kart, as long as there's a crew-serve paintball or airsoft weapon on it (hovercraft don't handle recoil well, anyway).

P()

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

From: Trent Bontly <trent....@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 11:40:34 -0500

Ed Stafford

Jun 9, 2011, 2:29:08 PM6/9/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Dunno.. I'm pretty sure I could use a 3HP motor and between pulleys
and large enough props, I could probably get it off the ground..
controlling those things is another deal all together.

Slip clutch is your friend!!

Initially, I'd recommend a pulley/belt system with an idler pulley to
engage the belt. Belts you can twist the 90 degrees you'll need to go
from down-drive (where the shaft comes out of the engine) to a
side-drive without too much hassle. If you had some more
metal-oriented equipment, I'd recommend building your own worm-gear
transmission, but belts are a good way to start.

Just give it a shot and see what you guys can do together. If nothing
else, the go-cart runs, then go for a hovercraft next. I'm SURE you
guys will be able to find side-of-the-road lawnmowers all over the
place.

--
Ed Stafford

claudio donndelinger

Jun 9, 2011, 2:48:02 PM6/9/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com

I have access to all the bamboo you could ask for... it's an hour and a half away however.

Trent Bontly

Jun 9, 2011, 4:10:39 PM6/9/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
there should be some closer, they hav ea lot at the zoo

rachel donndelinger

Jun 9, 2011, 4:36:14 PM6/9/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com

I could have my dad bring up as much as he can...

Rachel J

Ed Stafford

Jun 10, 2011, 10:17:48 AM6/10/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Since it kinda surprised me to see Bamboo mentioned for the frame, I
did a little looking and that's one heck of an idea.. Still some
metal required for corners and mounting, but an example of a bicycle
with a bamboo frame:

http://www.bmeres.com/bambooframe.htm

Just take pictures and document for the website..

--
Ed Stafford

claudio donndelinger

Jun 10, 2011, 1:23:33 PM6/10/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
We have a TON of bamboo at my father-in-law's house in Booneville, MS. If we cut it, we can have it. There are probably diameters from .5" to maybe 4" or so.

trent....@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2011, 1:24:37 PM6/10/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Does it have to be dried? How long?

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

From: claudio donndelinger <oria...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 12:23:33 -0500

claudio donndelinger

Jun 10, 2011, 1:27:09 PM6/10/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
I'd say around 10-25' maybe some longer. It has not been cut back in over 6 years

Ed Stafford

Jun 10, 2011, 2:33:38 PM6/10/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Don't think so..

2" bamboo would probably be ideal.. 4" around the edges perhaps?

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 12:24 PM, <trent....@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Ed Stafford

Daniel Kohn

Jun 10, 2011, 8:56:48 PM6/10/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Mower is now at the space in the paint room, I also had the motor manual (I think it has a parts list). So now someone can have at it and see if you can bring it back from the dead.

paul....@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2011, 8:58:45 PM6/10/11
to MidSouth Makers
Why is the paint room locked nowadays? Would I know if I showed up to meetings?

P()

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

From: Daniel Kohn <dko...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 19:56:48 -0500

Joe Ferguson

Jun 10, 2011, 9:00:55 PM6/10/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
It was inadvertently locked by one of the landlord's employees. We should probably replace the deadbolt on that door with an actual handle.
--
- Joe Ferguson
http://www.midsouthmakers.org

paul....@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2011, 9:03:28 PM6/10/11
to MidSouth Makers
And my second question?

P()

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

From: Joe Ferguson <hal...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 20:00:55 -0500

Daniel Hess

Jun 10, 2011, 11:17:57 PM6/10/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
You might know more if you showed up but you are welcome to remain only partly in the know if you wish.

Daniel
Sent from my iPhone

Ed Stafford

Jun 17, 2011, 2:29:26 PM6/17/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com

Orias/Claudio

Jun 24, 2011, 1:54:46 AM6/24/11
to Midsouth Makers Public List
It's been 15 days since this has been proposed! This is an awesome
idea, it seems like an excellent learning opportunity and a great way
to get our members together to create something together. Plus its a
freaking Go-kart! There is a gas lawn mower potentially allocated for
the group go-kart project. We have access to a ATV for parts. We have
so much knowledge and so many capable people in the group that this
should be easy to pull off! It does not have to be done in a weekend.
This seems like an excellent way to get us all working together and
moving forward as a group. I'd love to be a part of this.

Is anyone going to volunteer to help lead/co-ordinate this project? We
need a plan, some motivation and some initiative! Let's make something
cool! I want to be a part of this. I'm in.

Anyone else?
Claudio

On Jun 17, 1:29 pm, Ed Stafford <ed.staff...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.diygokarts.com/kart-plans/kart-plans-main.html
>

> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Daniel Hess <dan9...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You might know more if you showed up but you are welcome to remain only
> > partly in the know if you wish.
>
> > Daniel
> > Sent from my iPhone
> > On Jun 10, 2011, at 8:03 PM, paul.kos...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > And my second question?
>
> > P()
>
> > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
>
> > ________________________________
> > From: Joe Ferguson <hal...@gmail.com>
> > Sender: midsout...@googlegroups.com
> > Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 20:00:55 -0500
> > To: <midsout...@googlegroups.com>
> > ReplyTo: midsout...@googlegroups.com
> > Subject: Re: [MidsouthMakers] Gas Lawn Mower engine
> > It was inadvertently locked by one of the landlord's employees. We should
> > probably replace the deadbolt on that door with an actual handle.
>
> > On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 7:58 PM, <paul.kos...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Why is the paint room locked nowadays? Would I know if I showed up to
> >> meetings?
>
> >> P()
>
> >> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
>
> >> ________________________________
> >> From: Daniel Kohn <dkoh...@gmail.com>
> >> Sender: midsout...@googlegroups.com
> >> Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 19:56:48 -0500
> >> To: <midsout...@googlegroups.com>
> >> ReplyTo: midsout...@googlegroups.com
> >> Subject: Re: [MidsouthMakers] Gas Lawn Mower engine
> >> Mower is now at the space in the paint room, I also had the motor manual
> >> (I think it has a parts list). So now someone can have at it and see if you
> >> can bring it back from the dead.

Mark Turnage

Jun 24, 2011, 11:04:16 AM6/24/11
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
I don't mind being lead/point on this, but it'll be next weekend
before I can seriously get started (or even by the space to take a
look at the mower).

--
Mark Turnage

claudio donndelinger