Getting started

Brian Marick

Dec 4, 2011, 6:27:19 PM12/4/11
to mi...@googlegroups.com
For the 1.3 release, I might spend some time making the newbie's experience more pleasant (via documentation and examples). Do you have suggestions for improvement?

-----
Brian Marick, Artisanal Labrador
Now working at http://path11.com
Contract programming in Ruby and Clojure
Occasional consulting on Agile

Paul Blair

Dec 5, 2011, 11:21:52 PM12/5/11
to mi...@googlegroups.com
I remember when I was starting with Midje that the video was quite helpful; however, in general I rarely watch videos because of the time they take.  However, I haven't been looking at the Midje documentation lately so I'm not sure if there's anything the video has that's difficult for beginners to find in the documentation. I think a more prominent link to the user guide on https://github.com/marick/Midje would be helpful, though.

Denis Labaye

Dec 6, 2011, 12:49:18 AM12/6/11
to mi...@googlegroups.com
A leiningen plugin that automatically create a new Clojure project with the right Midje dependencies?

Wilkes Joiner

Dec 6, 2011, 8:36:15 AM12/6/11
to mi...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 11:49 PM, Denis Labaye <denis....@gmail.com> wrote:
> A leiningen plugin that automatically create a new Clojure project with the
> right Midje dependencies?

Include a template in lein-midje?

https://github.com/Raynes/lein-newnew

Brian Marick

Dec 8, 2011, 3:42:43 PM12/8/11
to mi...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 5, 2011, at 10:21 PM, Paul Blair wrote:

> I think a more prominent link to the user guide on https://github.com/marick/Midje would be helpful, though.

Changed the README to do that, I hope.

> A leiningen plugin that automatically create a new Clojure project with the right Midje dependencies?

> Include a template in lein-midje?
>
> https://github.com/Raynes/lein-newnew

Added a lein-midje issue. The template approach seems reasonable.

Paul Blair

Dec 8, 2011, 8:35:11 PM12/8/11
to mi...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Brian Marick <mar...@exampler.com> wrote:

On Dec 5, 2011, at 10:21 PM, Paul Blair wrote:

> I think a more prominent link to the user guide on https://github.com/marick/Midje would be helpful, though.

Changed the README to do that, I hope.

I think that's good for newbies who are going to naturally look at the "Learning Midje" part of the page. For anyone else just trying to find the reference guide, it still seems to me buried in the copy. I wonder if you might consider also including a link above the horizontal bar, just beneath the listing of the development version?

Brian Marick

Dec 8, 2011, 8:45:10 PM12/8/11
to mi...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 8, 2011, at 7:35 PM, Paul Blair wrote:

> I wonder if you might consider also including a link above the horizontal bar, just beneath the listing of the development version?

Good idea. Done. Thanks.

dnaumov

Dec 14, 2011, 7:54:03 AM12/14/11
to mi...@googlegroups.com
I think it's important to add a docstrings to midje vars. Documentation in wiki is very helpful, but it's pretty confusing when one trying to get description of a var using standart clojure mechanism, which all other libs use, and gets something like
midje.sweet/fact
([& forms])
Macro
  nil
Of course, there is no sense in doubling information from the wiki in docstrings, but short description of what the form does would be very helpful, and not only for newbies.

Alex Baranosky

Dec 14, 2011, 12:52:42 PM12/14/11
to mi...@googlegroups.com

I just a day or two ago fixed a bunch of doc strings that were accidentally placed in the wrong location of the definitions.

That should help, but I would like to make a concerted effort to make sure all publicly visible fns/macros have good doc strings, for just the reasons you mention.

Brian Marick

Dec 14, 2011, 7:16:06 PM12/14/11
to mi...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 14, 2011, at 11:52 AM, Alex Baranosky wrote:
> That should help, but I would like to make a concerted effort to make sure all publicly visible fns/macros have good doc strings, for just the reasons you mention.

Yes, it's high time this was done. It's a little embarrassing that I didn't do it from the start.