Halo for PC freezes when starting

Bragg Family

Jan 25, 2004, 12:46:09 PM1/25/04
I have just installed Halo for the PC but it keeps freezing during play.
I cannot get into the story, the game freezes at the point where you get out
of the cryo-chamber.

I have a Dell Dimension 8200
NVIDIA graphics card
1 gig memory
1.3 processor

I have installed the game under a clean boot and am trying to play the game
under a clean boot as per directions from MS support Knowledge Base Q331796
and 310353.

Any ideas as to how I can fix this problem

Thanks
Doug

Chris H.

Jan 25, 2004, 2:19:19 PM1/25/04
What operating system on you on, Doug? If you're on Windows XP, go into
Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer and click on Application in
the left panel. This will reveal events in the right panel which may
include error messages noted by either yellow triangles with exclamation
points in them, or red circles with white X's. You can right-click those,
selecting Properties and then see a portion of the error message.

If you can determine some of these messages and their content in relation to
the time you're having the problem, they may give us a clue. Remember, Halo
is very high in graphics requirements (take a look in the Halo Readme file
in the installed directory), and you need to be current not only with the
card's drivers but with the proper settings for the specified card.

I would make sure you're current on ALL hardware drivers from the
manufacturers' respective web site, including sound.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Bragg Family" <dbr...@no.spam.telusplanet.net> wrote in message

Bragg Family

Jan 25, 2004, 4:49:07 PM1/25/04
I am running Windows XP service pack 1.
I have all the driver updates.
These are the error messages I get when I try to start the game.
I get so locked up that I have to power down by holding the power button in
for 10 seconds.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: WMDM PMSP Service
Event Category: None
Event ID: 105
Date: 25/01/2004
Time: 2:37:29 PM
User: N/A
Computer: FAMILY
The service was started.

Date: 25/01/2004
Time: 2:40:38 PM
User: N/A
Computer: FAMILY
The service was started.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: ccEvtMgr
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date: 25/01/2004
Time: 2:41:46 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: FAMILY
Application starting

Event Type: Information
Event Source: ccEvtMgr
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1
Date: 25/01/2004
Time: 2:41:46 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: FAMILY
Application started

Event Type: Information
Event Source: NProtectService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 3
Date: 25/01/2004
Time: 2:41:57 PM

Date: 25/01/2004
Time: 2:41:58 PM
User: N/A
Computer: FAMILY
The service was started.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: ccPwdSvc
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1
Date: 25/01/2004
Time: 2:42:05 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: FAMILY
Application started

Event Type: Information
Event Source: ccPwdSvc
Event Category: None
Event ID: 2
Date: 25/01/2004
Time: 2:42:06 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: FAMILY
Application terminated

Doug
"Chris H." <winx...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Chris H.

Jan 25, 2004, 5:04:46 PM1/25/04
Hmmm. Do you run the Internet Connection Firewall or are you behind a
router with a hardware firewall? I would suggest you run your anti-virus
software with the latest definitions on your system immediately to rule out
the possibility of infection on your computer.

The WMDM PMSP Service is related to a possible vulnerability in MediaPlayer,
which suggests you should check the information in this Knowledge Base
article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321677 I
would suggest you follow up with the recommendations of that KB article.

Also, if you haven't already, make sure you're running DirectX 9.0b which
includes some security fixes and the latest in DirectPlay capabilities.

--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP
Associate Expert

"Bragg Family" <dbr...@no.spam.telusplanet.net> wrote in message

Bragg Family

Jan 25, 2004, 6:05:23 PM1/25/04
I am running just a basic hi-speed internet connection and am not behind a
firewall.
All my anti-virus definitions are updated regularly and I do a complete scan
of my system 3 times a week.
All programs and drivers are updated through the windows update site and are
up to date.
DirectX 9.0b is installed and the MediaPlayer is up to date.

Any other ideas as to what is wrong?

Doug

"Chris H." <winx...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Chris H.

Jan 25, 2004, 6:22:40 PM1/25/04
I'll do some research and post back when I find something else, Doug.
However, I highly recommend you enable your ICF immediately. Here's a bit
of very good information from Microsoft on security of your system:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/ BTW - you're running Halo with the
1.031 update, correct? Have you run through the support information on Halo
here: www.microsoft.com/games/halo/support.asp ? Rather than delve into
more questions/answers perhaps you'll spot something there. Meanwhile, I'll
continue digging.

--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP
Associate Expert

"Bragg Family" <dbr...@no.spam.telusplanet.net> wrote in message

Bragg Family

Jan 25, 2004, 10:16:17 PM1/25/04
Yes I have the update for Halo installed.
Thanks for the help so far
doug

"Chris H." <winx...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Chris H.

Jan 25, 2004, 10:33:00 PM1/25/04
Still digging, Doug. Not that I meant I've dug everything yet, Doug. 8-)

--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP
Associate Expert

"Bragg Family" <dbr...@no.spam.telusplanet.net> wrote in message

Knightstar

Jan 26, 2004, 12:42:12 AM1/26/04
have you tried lowering the graphic options to a minimum or start up Halo in
their SAFE mode configuration ?

Chris H.

Jan 26, 2004, 9:41:24 AM1/26/04
Try this, Doug: Uninstall your Symantec software temporarily, then run Halo
and see if you're still having the problem. I say uninstall, because
Symantec products have a habit of ignoring the user when you select "exit"
from the Systray icon. The icon exits, but the programs keep running,
hidden from you.

The ccPwdSvc notation in your Event log is from Symantec products, which
means while you're attempting to play Halo, the Symantec product is trying
to keep up in scanning files on the fly while you're constantly accessing
them from Halo.