Open "Read Only Recommended" documents

JMFinch

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
I am having trouble Programatically opening "Read Only Recommended" documents.
I used the macro recorder to create code to do this for me. It contains
"ReadOnly=False". This code always opens the document as "Read Only".

Is there some way to open this document so I can edit and save it? Currently I
have the code open the document "Read Only", make my changes then save it
under a different name. I then have to delete the original and rename the new
document back to the old name.

Thank you.

Cindy Meister -WordMVP-

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
Hi JMFinch,

> I am having trouble Programatically opening "Read Only Recommended" documents.
> I used the macro recorder to create code to do this for me. It contains
> "ReadOnly=False". This code always opens the document as "Read Only".

Yes, it's meant to allow you to open a copy document rather than the actual file.
It corresponds to the same setting in the File/Open dialog box. It has nothing to
do with manipulating a file that has had Read-only activated as a Save option.

> Is there some way to open this document so I can edit and save it?

If a document has been saved as "Read only recommended" you cannot change that
setting before actually opening the document. If you were opening it manually,
you'd have the option to NOT open it as read-only, via a dialog box. If you KNOW
the document has the "Read-only" save option activated, you could conceivably use
SendKeys to confirm the dialog box...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://go.compuserve.com/MSOfficeForum