catch the symbol in Word2000 VBA?

Nikolai B. Ugarov

Aug 1, 2001, 1:58:19 PM8/1/01
Hi all!

How to cath the symbol inserted by Insert/Symbol command?
In range.text it looks like "(". It cannot be found by find command.
There is no Symbols collection or something like.

Is there any way to access such symbols from VBA?

Jay Freedman

Aug 1, 2001, 3:11:23 PM8/1/01
Hi, Nikolai,

This very complicated subject is explained at
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MacrosVBA/FindReplaceSymbols.htm

Regards,
Jay

"Nikolai B. Ugarov" <ko...@our.st> wrote in message

Nikolai B. Ugarov

Aug 3, 2001, 12:52:51 PM8/3/01
Hi!

Jay Freedman <jay.fr...@verizon.net> wrote

> Hi, Nikolai,
>
> This very complicated subject is explained at
> http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MacrosVBA/FindReplaceSymbols.htm

Thanks a lot. The article is very helpful. The next task is to find ALL such
symbols in range.
In other words: to find all upper unicode characters and their positions,
no matter how they have been inserted.

Klaus Linke

Aug 4, 2001, 6:42:40 AM8/4/01
Hi Nikolai,

If you have got the true (positive) code of the symbol, you can search for it
with ^uXXXX

You have to adapt Dave Rado's macro from
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MacrosVBA/FindReplaceSymbols.htm a bit to get
that code (Char number):

Sub GetCharNoAndFont()
With Dialogs(wdDialogInsertSymbol)
Debug.Print "Font: " & .Font
Debug.Print "Char number " & (.CharNum And &HFFFF&)
End With
End Sub

The following Edit>Find with *wildcards* will find all characters from
decorative fonts ("Symbol", "Wingdings" ...), no matter how they were inserted:
[ALT61472-ALT61695]
ALT61472: Hold down the Alt-key and type the numbers on the numeric keyboard
(NumLock must be on).

Greetings, Klaus

Nikolai B. Ugarov wrote:

> Hi!

> How to cath the symbol inserted by Insert/Symbol command?
> In range.text it looks like "(". It cannot be found by find command.
> There is no Symbols collection or something like.
>
> Is there any way to access such symbols from VBA?

> Jay Freedman <jay.fr...@verizon.net> wrote

Nikolai B. Ugarov

Aug 6, 2001, 4:34:48 PM8/6/01
Hi!

> The following Edit>Find with *wildcards* will find all characters from
> decorative fonts ("Symbol", "Wingdings" ...), no matter how they were
inserted:
> [ALT61472-ALT61695]
> ALT61472: Hold down the Alt-key and type the numbers on the numeric
keyboard
> (NumLock must be on).

Thank you very much. Everything works.
As i have understood 61472-61695 is unicode range for decorative fonts. Am I
right?
I think there is a document describing such ranges for cyrilic characters,
etc. Could you give me the link?
Thanks in advance.

Klaus Linke

Aug 6, 2001, 11:15:43 PM8/6/01
Nikolai B. Ugarov wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > The following Edit>Find with *wildcards* will find all characters from
> > decorative fonts ("Symbol", "Wingdings" ...), no matter how they were
> > inserted: [ALT61472-ALT61695] ...

> As i have understood 61472-61695 is unicode range for decorative fonts.

> I think there is a document describing such ranges for cyrilic characters,
> etc. Could you give me the link?

You probably mean message 10 in the thread
"Finding backslashes with wildcards"
http://groups.google.com/groups?th=a8bd2df637dce1cf,29

The short version:
[ALT1025-ALT1273] will find all cyrillic characters.
For more information on Unicode and code ranges, see
http://www.unicode.org

Perhaps also interesting:
"Inserting Unicode characters from the keyboard"
http://groups.google.com/groups?th=fdf29d94ace4a653,12

Regards, Klaus