Funny "@Arial Unicode MS" name in font list

Robert

Dec 2, 2003, 6:18:20 PM12/2/03
Hi, everybody!
The MS Word 2003 install includes the Arial Unicode MS font.
This font name displays correctly in the MS Word 2003 drop-down font
list.
But there is a slight glitch with other applications such as WordPad.
In Wordpad, the Arial Unicode MS font name is displayed twice in the
WordPad drop-down font list.
A first time with the "@Arial Unicode MS" name (i.e. it displays the
"@" symbol in front of its name), and a second time with the "Arial
Unicode MS" "official" name.
Would anyone know why this is so? And how to fix that faulty display?
Thanks for any answer.
--
Cheers,
Robert

Klaus Linke

Dec 2, 2003, 7:30:24 PM12/2/03
Hi Robert,

I asked that question a while ago, and David Glenn from MS Typography told
me it had something to do with support for OpenType fonts. Seems two
"virtual" fonts are needed for two different OpenType layout tables (one for
horizontal and one -- the @font -- for vertical text).

If you google for "OpenType @Mincho", you should find the thread.

I never got rid completely of the @ fonts, though I de-installed all Asian
language support.
"@Arial Unicode MS" for example is still visible in "Tools > Options >
Compatibility > Font substitution" for any document.

But I think getting rid of the Asian language support (MS Office Tools > MS
Office Language Settings) got rid of most problems, which had caused me to
post.

Regards,
Klaus