How can I draw a table inside of a table?

1 view

avinoam.aharoni

Jun 29, 2005, 10:33:29 AM6/29/05
to borland.public.test
Subject: How can I draw a table inside of a table?

Hello,

I have a table I set up using the Table menu. Now, I want to devide one of its cells to 4 parts. Is that possible - how?

Thanks,

Avi.

SupportX

Jun 29, 2005, 10:35:21 AM6/29/05
to borland.public.test
Subject: Uset the pencil tool..

Its right there in the table menu "Draw table", just divide you cell by drawing vertical and horizontal lines in it. very simple, really.

Good luck,

SupX

S. Diego

Jun 29, 2005, 10:39:27 AM6/29/05
It's actually called "Draw Table" and it can be found under the "Table" menu
(Office 2003).

"SupportX" <Supp...@SupportX.com> wrote in message

Mike Hall (MS-MVP)

Jun 29, 2005, 11:30:29 AM6/29/05
To do this, you place the cursor into the appropriate cell of your existing
table, and then click on 'Table'.. select 4 cells..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

"avinoam.aharoni" <avinoam...@SupportX.com> wrote in message

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Jun 29, 2005, 12:03:44 PM6/29/05
It depends on whether you really want to nest a table in the cell or just
split the cell into four parts. If the latter, right-click in the cell and
choose Split Cells. In the ensuing dialog, choose 2 columns and 2 rows.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

SupportX

Jun 29, 2005, 1:28:15 PM6/29/05
to borland.public.test
Subject: Is it possible to embed a movie inside a document?

So that when a person is reading the document he will see the movie? if so - how?

SupportX

Jun 29, 2005, 2:12:03 PM6/29/05
to borland.public.test
Subject: Thanks !

It worked just fine.

Bob Buckland ?:-) At Beautiful Downtown

Jun 29, 2005, 5:52:35 PM6/29/05
You Can insert an AVI or WMV object in Word
through Insert=>Object=>From File.

You can double click them to play.
Usually the .AVI file will play inside the
document while the WMV will call up the app
you have set to play that file type in a separatate
Window.

Note that if you embed the whole thing in a document
you can have some pretty large .DOC files.

=======
<<"SupportX" <Supp...@SupportX.com> wrote in message news:D6D7EC...@123456789.spx.com...

So that when a person is reading the document he will see the movie? if so - how? >>

--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/administrativetipsandtricks.mspx

avinoam.aharoni

Aug 8, 2005, 6:57:52 PM8/8/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Hi,

I have a document in french, I wish to translate it to English - it doesn't have to be a profesional translation, but its a 200 page document, and it is due on my bosses table by Thursday...

anything Word can do for me (other than to help me write my resignation/suicide letter)?

Thanks,

Avi.

Mike Hall (MS-MVP)

Aug 8, 2005, 6:20:34 PM8/8/05
Write your letter..

Online translators can be found online by typing "online translators"
surprisingly enough, but they are wildly inaccurate at times.. your boss
should have more about him than to leave an office junior with a job that
the junior can't handle..

There are times when the positive action is to say "NO"..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"avinoam.aharoni" <avinoam...@supportx.com> wrote in message

avinoam.aharoni

Aug 8, 2005, 7:27:48 PM8/8/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Subject: Re: Document Translation

> Write your letter..

Ok, now I just have to decide if its the resignation or the suicidal >:-0

> Online translators can be found online by typing "online translators"
> surprisingly enough, but they are wildly inaccurate at times..

I know, already tried that. I had hoped Microsoft would come to the rescue, but I guess not..

> your boss should have more about him than to leave an office junior with a job > that the junior can't handle..

I wish I could tell him that and still keep my job.

> There are times when the positive action is to say "NO"..

Right, here goes: OH NOOOOOOO!!!!

Thanks just the same, it was a pleasure being on the same planet..

Lsu...@bellsouth.net-remove

Aug 8, 2005, 7:33:04 PM8/8/05
http://world.altavista.com/

http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his
absolute property - either as a child, a wife, or a concubine - must
delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to
be a great power among men.

Winston Churchill - London, England
http://www.winstonchurchill.org
=======================================

Lsu...@bellsouth.net-remove

Aug 8, 2005, 7:35:09 PM8/8/05
SupportXT is a search engine with a difference that answers unique, natural
language queries in a simple and efficient manner. SupportX searches for
solutions provided by people that can help you with your specific needs, by
connecting you to large communities of people that share information every
day and know the answers to your questions.

SupportXT es un motor de búsqueda con una diferencia que conteste a
preguntas de la lengua única, natural de una manera simple y eficiente.
SupportX busca para las soluciones proporcionadas por la gente que puede
ayudarle con sus necesidades específicas, conectándole con las comunidades
grandes de la gente que comparte la información cada día y sabe las
respuestas a sus preguntas

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Aug 8, 2005, 7:35:42 PM8/8/05
The American term for your situation is that you are up a creek without a
paddle unless you are willing to pay big bucks for a translator.

And I've seen resignation letter templates but I can't say that I've ever
seen a suicide letter template on Microsoft's site. Sorry.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Aug 8, 2005, 10:12:54 PM8/8/05
Actually, see http://word.mvps.org/Images/Humour/AssistantTriesToHelp.gif

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
all may benefit.

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" <jl_p...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Inglese

Aug 9, 2005, 12:25:34 AM8/9/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
test

Amedee Van Gasse

Aug 9, 2005, 3:01:09 AM8/9/05
In <D648B...@123456789.spx.com>, Inglese told us an interesting
story. My reply to this story is at the bottom of this message.

> test

Your test failed because it wasn't in one of the test groups.
*plonk*

--
Amedee Van Gasse

Amedee Van Gasse

Aug 9, 2005, 3:26:15 AM8/9/05
In <167BD7...@123456789.spx.com>, avinoam.aharoni told us an

interesting story. My reply to this story is at the bottom of this
message.

> Hi,

It doesn't have to be professional? You want to have a good laugh? Try
mangling it through Babelfish.

For example, your message:
English -> French -> English -> French -> English -> French -> English

Hello, I do I have a French document, I would have wish to translate it
with English - not this to be a translation of profesional, but a his
document of page 200, and is it due on my table of the owners per
Thursday... something of the can who move towards me (other which to
help itself to write my letter of resignation/suicide)? Thank you, Avi.

For more fun:

English -> Chinese -> English -> Chinese -> English -> Chinese ->
English -> Portugese -> French -> English

Do the food, I have the French of the use of the original, I waited
until the translation it with the English - this does not have that to
be a specialized translation it is, but is their 200 originals of page,
and is suitable... some expression possibly made in the table of the
projection of the ore in the front of Thursday for me (of the
assistances I outrage to write my letter of resignation/commit suicide
except)? Thanks, Avi.

--
Amedee Van Gasse

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Aug 9, 2005, 6:47:30 AM8/9/05
I stand corrected.

(Thanks Suzanne, I needed the early morning chuckle.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbar...@mvps.org> wrote in message

avinoam.aharoni

Aug 9, 2005, 11:49:41 AM8/9/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Subject: RE: Re: Document Translation

Thanks for the laughs..I can use every bit of it :-(

Mike Hall (MS-MVP)

Aug 9, 2005, 11:13:01 AM8/9/05
You may not feel like laughing right about now, but the unfortunate truth
about online translators is that they are wholly unreliable and could be
responsible for international 'incidents' if gotten into the wrong hands..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"avinoam.aharoni" <avinoam...@SupportX.com> wrote in message

Chuck

Aug 9, 2005, 12:25:02 PM8/9/05
Didn't work did it.

alon.aharoni

Aug 10, 2005, 9:37:35 AM8/10/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Hi, I am looking for a site where i can fined good and clear courses in Word in a professional level. Can somebody point me to such a asite?

PopS

Aug 10, 2005, 10:55:19 AM8/10/05

"alon.aharoni" <alon.a...@supportx.com> wrote in
message news:E5DF74...@123456789.spx.com...

> Hi, I am looking for a site where i can fined good
> and clear courses in Word in a professional level.
> Can somebody point me to such a asite?

Try looking around mvp.org.

Pop

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Aug 10, 2005, 11:34:34 AM8/10/05
That would be http://word.mvps.org

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
all may benefit.

"PopS" <nob...@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message

PopS

Aug 11, 2005, 1:08:18 PM8/11/05
OOPS! Sorry 'bout that! I'll try to do better; just
trying to help you out.

Pop

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbar...@mvps.org> wrote in

message news:uLUXQGcn...@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

SupportX

Aug 30, 2005, 3:16:12 PM8/30/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Subject: Hi,

I don't see the Font Enlarge/Reduce buttons anywhere.. does anybody know where they are hiding?

Thanks,

Sup.

avinoam.aharoni

Aug 30, 2005, 6:37:14 PM8/30/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Subject: Picture not showing in document

Hello all,

I embedded a picture inside my word document. I can see it every time I open the document. But - when I email the document to another party - he can't see the picture!

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Avi.

Margaret Aldis

Aug 30, 2005, 6:10:19 PM8/30/05
You have either linked the picture to an external file, or possibly you have
literally embedded the picture as an editable object (e.g. Visio diagram)
and your recipient does not have the correct tool to open it.

Either way you need to unlink the fields containing the pictures, so the
actual picture is stored in the file. CTRL-6 or CTRL+SHIFT+F9 will do the
job.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"avinoam.aharoni" <avinoam...@SupportX.com> wrote in message

avinoam.aharoni

Aug 30, 2005, 7:17:04 PM8/30/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Subject: Re: Picture not showing in document

Great! it worked!

Thanks.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Aug 30, 2005, 11:20:08 PM8/30/05
In Tools | Customize (Commands tab), choose the Format Category and scroll
down to the commands for Grow Font, Shrink Font, Grow Font 1 Pt, and Shrink
Font 1 Pt. Drag them to a toolbar as desired.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
all may benefit.

"SupportX" <Supp...@SupportX.com> wrote in message

SupportX

Aug 31, 2005, 2:16:43 AM8/31/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Subject: Re: Hi,

Thanks. It worked.

tembel

Sep 15, 2005, 4:37:54 PM9/15/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Subject: Where's my document?

Hi,

I am VERY new to windows. It took me for ever to find this group and ask my question, but here it is:

I used Microsoft Word to create a new document. Then I saved it in Word. then I closed Word. Now, I open Word again, and the document is not there!!!

Where is my document?

Thanks,

Tembel.

Charles Kenyon

Sep 15, 2005, 5:01:15 PM9/15/05
Look under your file menu at the very end. If you have the option checked,
it will show recent files. Otherwise, in Windows, click on the Start Button
and look under My Recent Documents. Now, if you happen to know where I put
my keys...
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"tembel" <tem...@SupportX.com> wrote in message

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Sep 15, 2005, 6:49:45 PM9/15/05
It's wherever you saved it. If you didn't specify a different location (and
apparently you didn't), it's saved in Word's default folder, which is
probably the root of My Documents. For the path to this see the path for
"Word documents" on the File Locations tab of Tools | Options. But if Word
is set to start in this folder, then when you start Word and choose File |
Open, you should see your document.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
all may benefit.

SupportX

Sep 20, 2005, 6:19:31 AM9/20/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Subject: Is WordPad a scaled down version of Office Word?

Hi,

If I write a document in Office Word, then destribute it, can anybody open this document with WordPad?

Thanks,

Sup.

SupportX

Sep 20, 2005, 6:24:13 AM9/20/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Subject: Is WordPad a scaled down version of Microsoft Word?

Hi,

If I create a document with MS Word, can anybody open it with WordPad?

Thanks,

Sup.

Gordon

Sep 20, 2005, 5:43:01 AM9/20/05

> If I create a document with MS Word, can anybody open it with WordPad?

Certainly, you can.

Luc

Sep 20, 2005, 5:46:00 AM9/20/05
SupportX,
Should be no problem, only much of the formatting will be lost, e.g.
automatic numbering will be lost, styles etc...
Luc
"SupportX" <Supp...@SupportX.com> schreef in bericht

Stefan Blom

Sep 20, 2005, 5:51:25 AM9/20/05
WordPad can open Word documents, but if you use it to save in Word
format, you'll lose a lot of formatting, such as Spacing Before or After
paragraphs.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Chuck Davis

Sep 21, 2005, 1:29:35 PM9/21/05

"SupportX" <Supp...@SupportX.com> wrote in message
If your reason for asking the question is that you wish to send a Word
document to others that don't have Word installed. You may wish to create a
pdf to send to them. All will be able to see the document as you formateed.
Adobe Acrobat is expensive. PrimoPDF is free (last time I looked)
http://www.primopdf.com

Richard.Toren

Oct 19, 2005, 11:31:20 AM10/19/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Subject: test please ignore

thanks need to check a setting

Danny

Nov 17, 2005, 12:53:51 PM11/17/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Hi,

I am using Microsoft Word 2003 on XP, I have the following question:

I have a table in a document. I wish to color one row of this table in a specific color (its the "Bottom line" row). I tried using Format-->Background but that changes the background of the entire document..

Please - how to?

Thanks,

Danny.

garfield-n-odie

Nov 17, 2005, 12:56:53 PM11/17/05
Select the table row, and click on Format | Borders and Shading |
Shading.

Danny

Nov 17, 2005, 1:01:55 PM11/17/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Thanks, works like a charm!

IngleseLite

Nov 17, 2005, 6:21:45 PM11/17/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
same

Uncle Joe

Nov 17, 2005, 8:36:39 PM11/17/05
What? Excuse me but your post makes no sense. What
is your actual question? Define your problem? What version
of Word are you using?

One doesn't ask questions of the group by simply entering
a subject entry. You must help us help you by providing
details. You've given us nothing work with.

How are we supposed to know the answer to "Where is
my last question"? For all we know, you clicked 'cancel"
before you tried to post the question. Or you might have
posted it in a diffferent newsgroup. Or you have your
newsreader's View setting set to "Hide read messages"
and you had already viewed your post. In this case, it
won't show up again unless you change the setting to
"Show all messages"

"IngleseLite" <Ingle...@supportx.com> wrote in message news:378550...@123456789.spx.com...
> same

dvk

Nov 22, 2005, 6:21:29 AM11/22/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Hi,

I am using Word for Windows 2003 on a Windows XP home edition and I have the following question:

How can I create a document that I can edit in Landscape mode (rather than the default Portrait mode)?

Thanks in advance,

DVK.

Stefan Blom

Nov 22, 2005, 6:23:57 AM11/22/05
To change page orientation, use File>Page Setup.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

dvk

Nov 22, 2005, 9:01:25 AM11/22/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers

dvk

Nov 22, 2005, 9:03:21 AM11/22/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Thanks - it worked!

dvk

Nov 22, 2005, 9:10:52 AM11/22/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Thanks - it worked!

Stefan Blom

Nov 22, 2005, 9:22:43 AM11/22/05
Glad I could help.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Stefan Blom

Nov 23, 2005, 3:54:28 AM11/23/05
Search for your message at
http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"IngleseLite" wrote in message news:378550...@123456789.spx.com...
> same

William.Smith

Nov 28, 2005, 12:07:00 PM11/28/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Subject: RestChar (ctrl-space) does not work properly

My Normal style is set to TNR 12pt and there is no difference between my Normal or attached templates that I can find. Yet using ctrl-space I keep getting Arial 11pt!! The shortcut is set to ResetChar corrrectly. Where is this default character style coming from? Blank documents opened from normal dot behave correctly, however.
Thanks in advance

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Nov 28, 2005, 7:19:47 PM11/28/05
If you're getting Arial 11 in specific documents, then it would appear that
the default font for those documents (or specific styles used in them) has
been changed.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
all may benefit.

"William.Smith" <Willia...@SupportX.com> wrote in message

William.Smith

Nov 29, 2005, 3:34:42 AM11/29/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Subject: Re: RestChar (ctrl-space) does not work properly

I aggree, but I cannot find where Arial 11 is configured. Not in Normal style for Normal.dot, Template.dot nor document.doc. That is the problem.

> http://www.eset.com

William.Smith

Nov 29, 2005, 8:13:15 AM11/29/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I took the plunge and used the Word help system for "set default font." Sure enough, new docs based on the same template use TNR 12 as default font, but the current document seems incurable. Strange!

Michael

Dec 22, 2005, 9:41:39 AM12/22/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Hi,

I am using: Microsoft Office Word (Microsoft Office 2003) on Windows XP Service Pack 2 build 2600, and I have the following question:

I dragged a nice frame from the clipart repository and now I wan to write something in it - but it won't let me, only above or bellow it.

How to?

Mikel.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Dec 22, 2005, 10:50:31 AM12/22/05
Change the wrapping on the frame to Behind Text.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
all may benefit.

"Michael" <Mic...@supportx.com> wrote in message

Michael

Dec 22, 2005, 11:01:51 AM12/22/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Excuse my ignorance, but - how?

Michael

Dec 22, 2005, 11:32:01 AM12/22/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Hi,

I got a document that has changes tracked in it. I wish to accept all the changes but I seems that by right-clicking on it I can only accept one at a time. How do I accept all changes?

Thank you,

Mikel Brown

Luc

Dec 22, 2005, 12:13:47 PM12/22/05
Michael,
In Word 2003 click on the Accept changes button on the reviewing toolbar and
choose
Accept All Changes in Document.
Luc

"Michael" <Mic...@supportx.com> schreef in bericht

Michael

Dec 22, 2005, 12:19:12 PM12/22/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gotha' thanks.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Dec 22, 2005, 7:43:11 PM12/22/05
Format | Frame is not relevant here, since the frame is clip art (a
picture). Frames cannot be formatted as Behind Text; the only wrapping
choices are None and Around.

--

"TedMi" <Te...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Click on the frame border. Format --> Frame --> Layout, click the Behind
Text
> box.
> --
> Ted

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Dec 22, 2005, 7:42:40 PM12/22/05
When you click on the clip art, the Picture toolbar should be displayed.
Click on the Text Wrapping button (dog icon) to get the wrapping menu and
choose Behind Text.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
all may benefit.

"Michael" <Mic...@supportx.com> wrote in message

Michael

Dec 28, 2005, 11:13:49 AM12/28/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Hi, I am using Word 2003. Every time I change something in the document, it doesn't get changed, it just get colored or strikethrough (in case I delete). How do I get rid of this behavior? thnx.

Michael

Dec 28, 2005, 11:53:34 AM12/28/05
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ok great, thanks. It worked.

Jan 11, 2006, 6:24:52 AM1/11/06
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Subject: Newspaper Columns

Hi! I have a long thin list that I put into three columns The list is divided into sections. Each section has a heading. The second page begins with a new section. After about five lines, the list continues on the second column instead of continue down to the end of the page. It then continues on to the third column. When the section ends, the list continues from the first column again and behaves normally. It's almost as if the first five lines of the page are being treated as a separate page. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can solve this? Thanks.

Stefan Blom

Jan 11, 2006, 7:22:02 AM1/11/06
Word will balance columns if they are followed by a continuous section
break. Switch to Normal view (View>Normal) and see if a continous
section follows your "problem list". If this is the case, there are
some things you can do:

You can change the type of section following your "problem columns".
Place the cursor immediately *after* the break (don't select anything,
just leave the cursor blinking), and, on the File menu, click Page
Setup. On the Layout tab, pick a different setting for "Section
start", such as "New page". Click OK.

Alternatively, click Options on the Tools menu, and then click the
Compatibility tab. Check the "Don't balance columns for Continuous
section starts" option. Click OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"mdt" wrote in message

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Jan 11, 2006, 10:41:06 AM1/11/06
The solution depends a bit on what you mean by "a new section." I suspect
you don't mean that there is actually a section break of any sort here, as
that would cause more of a break than you're seeing. My guess is that either
there is a column break (Ctrl+Shift+Enter) between the sections (which is
causing the new section to jump to the second column) or the "Keep with
next" formatting of the section heading, combined with text flow properties
of the following paragraphs, are causing them to clump together and move to
the next column as a block.

--

"mdt" <m...@SupportX.com> wrote in message
> [...]

mdt

Jan 15, 2006, 2:26:22 AM1/15/06
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Subject: Re: Reply from "thetechguys"

Yes.

mdt

Jan 15, 2006, 2:26:59 AM1/15/06
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Subject: Re: Reply from "houseofhelp"

Sorry for not being clearer. I'm using Word.

mdt

Jan 15, 2006, 2:33:06 AM1/15/06
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Subject: Re: Newspaper Columns

Thanks. I did the second option you mention below. This indeed solves the problem. However, it causes the next column to start at the section break which in my case is a few lines down from the top. Nothing I do can get the second and third columns to start at the top of the page. Is there a way to get the subsequent columns to start at the top of the page.

mdt

Jan 15, 2006, 2:38:38 AM1/15/06
to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I am seeing the colors and ads.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Jan 15, 2006, 6:59:49 AM1/15/06
Hope that you know what you're talking about.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"mdt" <m...@SupportX.com> wrote in message

Stefan Blom

Jan 16, 2006, 4:37:22 AM1/16/06
Well, you could use linked text boxes instead of newspaper columns;
this would give you more control (but it is also more difficult to
maintain).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"mdt" wrote in message

Michael

Jan 17, 2006, 2:41:58 PM1/17/06
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Is there a way to configure Word to automatically create a backup (or even backup history) for every document?

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Jan 17, 2006, 7:09:09 PM1/17/06
See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/AutomaticSave.htm

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
all may benefit.

"Michael" <Mic...@supportx.com> wrote in message

mdtoke

Jul 16, 2006, 4:31:35 AM7/16/06
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Hi,

I have Word 2003. I have created a table of contents for a document. Some of the entries in the TOC retain the formatting from the document. Others do not. I do not see any difference between the headings in the document. Yet Word treats them differently. I am using a customized consistent format for all the headings. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Jul 19, 2006, 12:22:38 AM7/19/06
The TOC will pick up any font formatting that is applied as direct
formatting (that is, formatting that is not the Default Paragraph Font for
the heading style).

For example, if you have All Caps included in the style definition, it will
not be picked up by the TOC. But if you apply All Caps formatting as direct
formatting, it will be. Where this can be deceptive is that if you have All
Caps formatting as part of the style definition, you may not realize that
the paragraph was actually typed with Caps Lock on. If you temporarily
remove the All Caps formatting, you can see the underlying capitalization.
Retype the paragraph in caps and lowercase, restore the default paragraph
formatting, and the TOC will sort itself out (when updated).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
all may benefit.

"mdtoke" <mdt...@supportx.com> wrote in message

A.Alisa

Dec 6, 2006, 7:53:41 AM12/6/06
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Hi,

Can anyone please assist with the following:

I want to make my document somewhat more interactive and embbed a Macromedia Flash movie in it. What I actually want to do is embbed and HTML tag like the following:

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="680" height="52" id="MyInteractiveFlash" align="middle">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
</object>

Like I would do in an HTML file.

Then I expect the Flash object to be visible in my document (not an Icon or a link button).

Is that possible? how?

Thanks,

Alisa.

Bob Buckland ?:-)

Dec 6, 2006, 11:49:17 PM12/6/06
Hi Alisa,

The 'technique' used to run the flash within Word is sort of an edgy
workaround (i.e. it's not a 'designed in' feature that works
through selecting a .SWF file if you use Insert=>Object=>From File.

Yes, you can insert it, and have it play but you may have problems with it
and it may only work for you in its original location. (Word
doesn't have a flash player of its own built in)

With your Word document opened and a safety copy of your document saved (in
case things go wrong), the following should work for Word 2000 through 2003.

1. From View=>Toolbars turn on the Control Toolbox choice
2. On the Control Toolbox select the 'More Tools' choice
3. Scroll down to the Shockwave Object choice.

4. You'll likely see only a box at this point with a large black 'X'
through it. Check to see that the 'Design mode' icon on the
Control box is highlighted.

5. Right click on the Shockwave object and choose properties.

6. In the 'movie' field paste or type the drive/path and name of the .SWF
file. For example
c:\Flash\goldfish.swf

7. While still in the properties change the 'embed movie' choice to 'true'

8. Close the properties toolbox. You'll still be looking at the 'X'd box
where the SWF file is.

9. Resize the item to the size you want, right click it and choose Format
Control
to set text wrapping, etc then exit back to the document.

10. Use File=>Save As and save to a new file name.

11. On the Control Toolbox toolbar click on the 'Exit Design Mode' icon
to turn it off and see if the flash file plays.

You may find that Word will crash when playing or saving the file after the
flash starts playing. You will also be limited in the
'wrap styles' you can use to format the object.

If you move or send the document on to someone else it may depend on what
the macro/addin security settings are in Tools=>Options for that person and
the method you're using to open the document that contains the flash object.

An 'object' that is embedded is actually embedding a chunk to the external
app to 'run' the item, rather than a graphic that is
'static' data in the file.

============
<<"A.Alisa" <A.A...@supportx.com> wrote in message
Hi,

Is that possible? how?

Thanks,

Alisa>>
--
Please let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
Microsoft Office products MVP

*Courtesy is inexpensive and can pay big dividends*

A.Alisa

Dec 7, 2006, 4:56:00 AM12/7/06
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Thank you Bob,

I've went through the process and the object is embedded into the document, but the movie is not playing :-(.

Any further directions?

Thank you again,

Alisa.

A.Alisa

Dec 12, 2006, 11:25:24 AM12/12/06
to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Hi,

I opened a document and it appears gibberish. I know its an encoding problem. How can I change the encoding type for this document?

Thanks,

Alisa.

garfield-n-odie [MVP]

Dec 12, 2006, 3:02:10 PM12/12/06
IF your diagnosis of the problem is correct, then in Word click
on Tools | Options | General tab | check the "Confirm conversion
at Open" box | OK. Then try to open the gibberish file, and you
should get a dialog box that allows you to select the encoding
you want.

A.Alisa

Dec 12, 2006, 3:41:25 PM12/12/06
to microsoft.public.word.newusers