HELP!

1 view

galatea2153

Jun 27, 2006, 11:29:02 PM6/27/06

I'm running Word 2003 / Small Business. Occasionally when I send a word
document to the printer all the words in the text squish up - it's like they
all try to be on the same line. This can happen on a two line paragraph or a
20 line paragraph. Pressing "undo" does nothing. I've tried entering a hard
return, which changes the text on screen to a readable format, but it still
prints all squished up. The only option that I have found so far is to
retype the whole document.

I don't know what's causing this or what to do about it - any suggestions?

Megan

Graham Mayor

Jun 28, 2006, 12:39:28 AM6/28/06
According to contributor Bob Buckland: "It's a bug that somehow seems to
have Word misreading temporary files related to the printer currently in
use. You can usually 'unscramble' the display from File=>Print and switch
to the printer properties or to another printer then your normal one, or
close Word and delete all files found on Start=>Search and looking for
~$*.*;*.tmp as the name string then restarting Word." See also
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

galatea2153

Jun 28, 2006, 2:34:02 AM6/28/06
Many thanks, Graham. I'll give it a shot next time it happens.

Megan

JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Jun 28, 2006, 8:12:23 AM6/28/06
And apparently it's tied into HP printer drivers. Not 100% sure tho.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Graham Mayor" <gma...@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message

Graham Mayor

Jun 28, 2006, 8:38:53 AM6/28/06
Well that wouldn't be a surprise. HP drivers are crap! Try
http://www.hp.com/pond/ljbeta/ for the latest efforts.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

JoAnn Paules [MVP] wrote:
> And apparently it's tied into HP printer drivers. Not 100% sure tho.

JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Jun 28, 2006, 9:49:21 AM6/28/06
And yet I love HP printers. Wouldn't buy anything else. :-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Graham Mayor" <gma...@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message

Graham Mayor

Jun 28, 2006, 10:09:45 AM6/28/06
The printers are fine - it's their software writers who leave much to be
desired.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

JoAnn Paules [MVP] wrote:
> And yet I love HP printers. Wouldn't buy anything else. :-)

JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Jun 28, 2006, 11:13:08 AM6/28/06
I must be lucky. The only issue I've ever had with the drivers was with my
DeskJet 932 and Windows 98SE. Uninstalling the drivers would not allow you
to reinstall them. You had to edit the registry. That was a great printer
tho. And I'm very happy with my 5150. Does what I need and does it well.
:-)

Life is good.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Graham Mayor" <gma...@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Jun 28, 2006, 11:05:32 AM6/28/06
I've never had anything else (except a very old Epson dot matrix that from
time to time I am surprised to realize I still have), so I have no basis for
comparison, but, aside from a few annoyances (such as my DeskJet warning me
that "There is a problem with the black ink cartridge" and "There is a
problem with the color ink cartridge" every time I print even when the
cartridges are brand-new), I've been very happy with them.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_p...@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message