Banner.exe etc

Andrew Strickland

Jul 28, 2001, 1:05:42 AM7/28/01

I'm trying to print out a heading for a poster that would span several
pages, ie a long but not very high piece of text, perhaps 90cm wide but 10
cm high. I'd like to print it out onto consecutive pages of A4 and then
stick them to the poster backing. If I type the text into word it just wraps
around on the same page until that page is full and then starts on the next
one. How can I make it print out on consecutive pages without wrapping?

I solved this problem several years ago with a piece of software called
banner.exe but now I can't locate this.

Where could I find this piece of software or is there some other solution
within Microsoft Word?

Thanks for your help,

Andrew Strickland.

Bob Buckland ?:-)

Jul 28, 2001, 1:57:45 PM7/28/01
Hi Andrew,

There are several ways you might want to do this,
depending on what software you have available.
Here are some methods that may work for you.

1. You can use the Banner software from http://postersw.com

2. You can use the banner feature in Publisher.

3. You can create the banner in Excel and print it

4. In Word the maximum single page width is 22" (55.88cm).
Since your going to be pasting the segments, this
might work if you're using Word 2000 or 2002.

In a new blank document, type your text, select it
and apply a font size of, say 200 pts.

With the text still selected use
Table=>Convert=>Text to Table
and in (o) Other, type a space as the divider
character. (you want to have only one row, but
one 'column' for each word of your text).
With the text still selected, use
Format=>Borders and Shading and click 'none'
or to help align and trim the text, apply
only top and bottom borders after clicking 'none'

Use File=>Web Page Preview
and print from your browser. You may want to
turn off the header/footer text in the browser
in the browser's File=>Page setup, but make note
of the settings there before you blank them
so you can put them back, or you can just trim
them off when you're cutting and pasting.
(For Word 97 the web page feature only supports text
up to 36 pts so you don't get much of a banner).

Note, that some printers when used with the browser
will not tile the printer output but will chop
off the web page at the right margin. If that's
the case then make the following adjustments in
the procedure.

When converting text to table, after typing the
a space in (o) other. Set 'Autofit to Window' on
and ratched down the number of columns to 1
which should bring the # of rows up to be equal
to the number of Words in your banner text.

With the text still selected use
Table=>Table Properties=>Row to set the
'specified height' to 'exactly and the
height of the your normal print area
(i.e. the Paper size in File=>Page Setup, less
the top and bottom margin) then use
File=>Web Page Preview to print
(actually you could probably print from
Word with this approach but the results
sometimes vary a bit between the two)

===============
<<"Andrew Strickland" <ahstri...@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message news:kIr87.646$Vk2....@ozemail.com.au...
Hi,

Thanks for your help,

Andrew Strickland.>>
--
Hope that helps,

Bob Buckland ?:-) MS Office/Word MVP
http://forums.compuserve.com/gvforums/default.asp?SRV=MSOfficeForum

MS's Office XP - Information Trial Copy Order, Tour and more.
Office XP Main Page: http://microsoft.com/office/xp/
Office XP Tips Center: http://office.microsoft.com/assistance
Office XP Downloads: http://office.microsoft.com/downloads
Office XP Developers: http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/xp/
Office XP Deployment: http://microsoft.com/technet/office/

Pick a MS newsgroup that matches your question topic:
via NewsReader:
http://support.microsoft.com/highlights/default.asp?pr=news&cl=179
via Browser:
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=prod_office