Retain numbering when extracted from list

Beery@discussions.microsoft.com Monte Beery

Jun 27, 2007, 4:50:00 PM6/27/07
I often need to extract a few entries from a page of numbered paragraphs, but
want to retain the original numbering for reference to the original document.

1. first paragraph
2. second paragraph
2.1 clause in second paragraph
3 third paragraph

Extract the second paragraph and its clause, but retain the numbering thus...

2 second paragraph
2.1 clause in second paragraph

Word will routinely renumber the lines...

1 second paragraph
1.1 clause in second paragraph

How do I achieve my goal of retaining the numbering when I extract a part of
a numbered list?

Thanks for your assistance,
Monte

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Jun 27, 2007, 6:59:55 PM6/27/07
You can convert the numbers to text using these instructions provided by
Stefan Blom:

To convert autonumbering (paragraph/outline numbering and LISTNUM
fields) to plain text, do the following: Make sure the active
document is the one you want to convert. Then press ALT+F11 to
display the Visual Basic Editor. On the View menu, click
Immediate Window. In the Immediate Window, type

ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText

and press ENTER.

Note that if paragraph/outline numbering was applied with styles,
it isn't completely gone (CTRL+Q will bring it back!) unless you
also clear it from the style definitions.

Note that Stefan's instructions are for the entire document. I can't tell
you the appropriate macro for a selection (perhaps
Selection.ConvertNumbersToText), but perhaps someone else will chime in with
that. Alternatively, you could make a copy of the document, run the macro,
and then copy/paste the relevant bit into your good doc.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Monte Beery" <Monte Be...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Lene Fredborg

Jun 27, 2007, 7:46:01 PM6/27/07
ConvertNumbersToText cannot be used with the Selection object so
Selection.ConvertNumbersToText will not work.

A macro like the one below could be used to change the numbers in the
selection only. However, it may be safer to do as Suzanne suggested, i.e.
copy the document, change all numbers to text using
ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText and then just use whatever you need from
the document.

The problem with changing only part of the numbers to text is that this will
make all subsequent numbers that belong to the same list(s) wrong - the
subsequent numbers will act as if you have deleted the numbers that you
converted to text. The result could be rather confusing even if you could
undo the change at once after you copied the relevant text. Anyway, here is
the macro:

Sub ConvertNumbersInSelectionToText()

Dim oDoc As Document
Dim oRange As Range

Set oDoc = ActiveDocument
Set oRange = _
oDoc.Range(Start:=Selection.Range.Start, _
End:=Selection.Range.End)
oRange.ListFormat.ConvertNumbersToText wdNumberParagraph

Set oDoc = Nothing
Set oRange = Nothing

End Sub

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Jun 27, 2007, 10:25:36 PM6/27/07
I don't *think* the OP wants to freeze the numbers on part of a list in
place but rather to be able to "quote" these numbered paragraphs elsewhere,
retaining the numbers they have in place.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
all may benefit.

"Lene Fredborg" <l...@REMOVETHISthedoctools.com> wrote in message

Lene Fredborg

Jun 28, 2007, 4:14:01 AM6/28/07
Suzanne, that is also how I understood the OP so I may have expressed myself
unclear. What I meant was: you can change the numbers in the selection using
the macro, copy the text (that is still selected), then undo to bring the
numbers back. However, I just imagined that one could be confused by the mix
of numbers in the meantime and then by mistake do something wrong.

But there may be an easy and, hopefully, safe way: below is the macro in an
extended version. The macro changes the numbers in the selection to normal
text, copies the selection and undoes the change (i.e. reverts the numbers
back). The user then only needs to 1) select the desired text, 2) run the
macro and 3) paste the already copied text (with the fixed numbers) into the
relevant place.

Sub ConvertNumbersInSelectionToText_CopyText()

Dim oDoc As Document
Dim oRange As Range

Set oDoc = ActiveDocument
Set oRange = _
oDoc.Range(Start:=Selection.Range.Start, _
End:=Selection.Range.End)
oRange.ListFormat.ConvertNumbersToText wdNumberParagraph

'Copy the selection while numbers are converted
Selection.Copy
'Then undo so that numbers revert to the original
oDoc.Undo

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Jun 28, 2007, 9:36:53 AM6/28/07
Ah, I see. Well, I have no VBA expertise, so I didn't read your macro to see
what it was doing. Sorry.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
all may benefit.

"Lene Fredborg" <l...@REMOVETHISthedoctools.com> wrote in message

Monte Beery

Jun 28, 2007, 9:52:01 AM6/28/07
My thanks to both Lene and Suzanne! Both responses were on point. I will
add Lene's macro to my collection and share with others. I continue to be
amazed at the expertise and generosity of the user community!

Henk57

Jun 28, 2007, 2:47:45 PM6/28/07

FWIW, when I select an item from a numbered list (Word 2003), and
copy/paste it as unformatted text (via Paste Special) in the body text,
the text pasted includes the original number, but of course formatted as
text, not as numbered list anymore. Isn't that what Monte needs, or do
I misunderstand the question? Or do I have an obscure setting that
brings this about?

--
Henk57

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Jun 28, 2007, 4:05:49 PM6/28/07
Of course. This would be the simplest solution of all. Sometimes we don't
see the forest for the trees.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
all may benefit.

"Henk57" <Henk57...@officefrustration.com> wrote in message

Robinson@discussions.microsoft.com E. Robinson

Oct 5, 2008, 4:33:01 PM10/5/08
This is not exactly true.

If you past as text it looses formatting such as hanging indents. I use
this feature to add comments to reports and need to retain all the
formatting. This is possible using the first method.

Stefan Blom

Oct 7, 2008, 5:15:04 AM10/7/08
But the tab stop after the number should be retained when pasting as
unformatted text, which means that you could then simply apply a style with
a hanging indent to the pasted items.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP