Run-time error '52' - Bad file name or number

Steve Snure

Jan 26, 2004, 11:25:18 AM1/26/04
I'm receiving the following Visual Basic error when clients open MS Word
2002 remotely on our Windows 2000 Terminal Server...

"Run-time error '52' - Bad file name or number".

Unfortunately I found no Event Log entries. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

(Note: I originally posted this in the Terminal Server Applications
newsgroup, but received no replies.)

Regards - Steve

Beth Melton

Jan 26, 2004, 1:01:20 PM1/26/04
Hi Steve,

A "runtime" error means that there is an error in a macro or add-in
that is attempting to run. Typically these macros are created by a
third-party and are not part of the Word installation. (They could
also be caused by a malfunctioning macro virus as well)

Many third-party applications will create an add-in and place it in
the Office\Startup folder or use a COM add-in (DLL) to integrate their
software with Word. Another common add-in, the "Microsoft Works Suite
Add-in for Word" can only be found in your Add/Remove programs list.

Aside from the Works Suite Add-in, to determine if you have any
add-ins you can check for them using the following:

Go to Tools/Templates and Add-Ins and see if there are any global
templates or add-ins listed. If you find any then chances are they are
located in your Office\Startup folder or Word\Startup folder.

The location of the Word\Startup folder can be found under
Tools/Options/File Locations and the Office\Startup folder will be
located in the installation path for Office.

If you find more than one add-in move them one at a time until you
determine which one is causing the problem.

As of Word 2000, Word can have COM add-ins, those that are added in
via the Registry rather than the Startup folders. To check for COM
add-ins add the "COM Add-In" command to your toolbar.

- Right-click any toolbar and select Customize
- On the Commands tab, select the Tools category
- Locate COM Add-Ins on the right
- Drag/Drop to a location of your choice

For more information on COM Add-Ins, see this article:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customization/CheckIfAddinsInstalled.htm

For additional troubleshooting steps for errors starting/exiting Word
see this article:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/ProbsOpeningWord.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Steve Snure" <ssn...@utelesys.com> wrote in message

Steve Snure

Jan 26, 2004, 1:54:16 PM1/26/04
Beth,

Now that's what I call a thorough answer! I found three macros that are
being loaded at MS Word startup. I've followed your instructions and will
deselect one at a time. Oddly, this problem is intermittent so I will
continue to monitor for errors. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Steve

"Beth Melton" <bme...@NoSpam4Memvps.org> wrote in message