MS Word 97 corrupting the document.

Kenneth Barber

Sep 6, 2002, 5:43:53 PM9/6/02
MS Word corrupted the document after I deleted
the "Section Break (Odd Page)".

After the I deleted "Section Break (Odd Page)", I
immediately noticed that the pagination numbering in the
footer disappeared. I then saved the document
as "..._test.doc", closed MS Word, and then tried to
reopen the document recieving the message "WINWORD.exe has
generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will
need to restart the program. An error log is being
created". Upon selecting "OK" and reopening MS Word I now
receive a new message "Word encountered file corruption
while opening \\...\..._test.... Part of this document may
be recoverable. Attempt recovery now?". Upon
pressing "Yes", go take a break, it took 3 hours to
complete on a 1.1GHz machine and the document looks like a
text file with machine garbage. Well at least I recovered
my text...WRONG, 90% of the document contains Excel
information inserted as a picture, that information is
gone!!! Well luckily I saved the document every 10
minuets with a different file name (not that the average
user should ever need to do this). Because I did so I was
able to troubleshoot the problem to the deletion of
that "Section Break (Odd Page)".

I have been able to duplicate this problem with the same
document on another machine. I believe that this issue
warrents Microsoft to create a Support Knowledge Article.