word 2003 doesn't save

Shri

Oct 24, 2006, 3:13:01 PM10/24/06
For the last few months Word 2003 has suddenly stopped saving changes to my
docs and also doesn't let me 'save as'. The error msg I get is ''you need to
log on to credential manager to use this functionality'' and when I do log on
as the administrator, the msg is ''you do not have necesary permissions to
use this functionality. Please contact your system administrator''
I'm the only one using my laptop, I'm the administrator and there are no
restrictions on any files. Word always used to save files without hassle
before. I haven't changed any settings although I've installed a few security
updates when prompted. I've tried removing and reinstalling two different CDs
as well.Its all kinda strange cos one day it was ok and the next it just
stopped saving for no apparent reason!
Can anyone help me about this please? Cheers

Beth Melton

Oct 27, 2006, 1:08:27 PM10/27/06
See if the issue still occurs when you start Word using the /a switch.
Go to Start/Run and run:

Winword /a

Note the space before the forward slash. If you are able to save files
then chances are there is a global template/add-in intercepting your
Save and Save As commands.

To determine if you are using any global templates go to
Tools/Templates and Add-Ins and see if there are any global templates
or add-ins listed. If so they are located in one of your Startup
folders. The location of the Word\Startup folder can be found under
Tools/Options/File Locations and the Office\Startup folder can be
found in the Office installation path.

You can also use Windows Search to find the files. If you are using
Windows XP then in make sure you are viewing all files and searching
all files:

- Viewing all files: Start Windows Search and go to Tools/Folder
Options and on the View tab make sure "Show hidden files and folders"
is selected

- Search all files: In Windows Search click "All files and Folders"
then expand "More Advanced Options". Make sure "Search hidden files
and folders" is selected.

Take a look in each folder and if you find more than one file move
them one at a time and try duplicating the error after each file is
moved out of the folder until you determine which one is causing the
problem.

As of Word 2000, Word can have COM add-ins. COM are added via the
Registry rather than the Startup folders. To determine whether or not
you are using COM Add-In you can add the "COM Add-in" command to your
toolbar:

- Right-click any toolbar and select Customize
- On the Commands tab, select the Tools category
- Locate COM Add-Ins on the right
- Drag/Drop to a location of your choice

Close the dialog and run the COM Add-ins command. If an add-in is
loaded you'll see a tick in the check box. Remove the tick to unload
the add-in.

For more information on COM Add-Ins, see this article:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customization/CheckIfAddinsInstalled.htm

Also, the COM Add-in utility in Word will only display COM Add-ins
that are installed per user, rather than per machine. If you followed
the above steps and still encounter the issue then take a look at this
article and start with Method 2:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555220

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Office 2007 Preview Site:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/default.mspx
Office 2007 Community Articles/Tutorials:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/community/article_archive.mspx

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Shri" <Sh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Shri

Oct 27, 2006, 2:44:01 PM10/27/06
Hiya,

I've already checked the global add-ins and using the /a switch but the
problem still exists. I definitely don't have any add-ins for this
application. Like I mentioned it just stopped saving suddenyl for no apparent
reason! Can you think of anything else that might be the cause?

Cheers

mch...@hotmail.com

Oct 30, 2006, 10:23:02 AM10/30/06
This appeared on one of our laptops and the company i worked for- It
was a HP laptop and it seemed to be the HP credential manager that
caused the problem, if you take the credential manager off Word works
fine!

Shri

Oct 30, 2006, 11:06:01 AM10/30/06
I've disabled credential manager on my HP laptop for Word 2003 and tried
Word again but the error keeps occurring! Actually Word wasnt linked to it in
the first place...Did you mean disabling/removing credential manager
altogether? I haven't tried that yet...