Re: Home --> RDP --> Office --> VPN -->Corporate

Shenan Stanley

Sep 8, 2005, 4:32:23 PM9/8/05
L8Geek wrote:
> The scenario is as follows:
>
> Home Computer --> RDP Office Computer
> Office Computer --> VPN --> Corporate Headquarters
>
> XP pro is running on both home and office computer.
>
> Office Computer is a stand-alone computer. (No Domain Controller;
> Static IP on Broadband Connection)
>
> Connecting through RDP to Office works fine.
>
> From office computer VPN connection to Corporate works fine from the
> office.
>
> What is trying to be achieved is having VPN connect once an RDP
> session is established.
> Home Computer --> RDP Office Computer --> VPN --> Corporate
> Headquarters

Why?
Why not Home Computer --> VPN --> Corporate?

Your problem is that once you connect to the VPN at the corporate office -
that machine is ON that network.
Your easiest solution is to just connect to the VPN at the corporate office
from home.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

L8Geek

Sep 13, 2005, 7:16:03 AM9/13/05
The scenario is as follows:

Home Computer --> RDP Office Computer
Office Computer --> VPN --> Corporate Headquarters

XP pro is running on both home and office computer.

Office Computer is a stand-alone computer. (No Domain Controller; Static IP
on Broadband Connection)

Connecting through RDP to Office works fine.

From office computer VPN connection to Corporate works fine from the office.

What is trying to be achieved is having VPN connect once an RDP session is
established.
Home Computer --> RDP Office Computer --> VPN --> Corporate Headquarters

Solution is straight forward for those wanting to know.

On the office Machine to be connected via VPN to the corporate Network:

Create a VPN connection to the corporate network. Under the properties for
this connection, select the General tab. Select TCP/IP properties; Select
advanced options. Under the General tab remove the check mark in front of
"Use Default Gateway on Remote Network."

This will allow for the VPN connection to be established without crashing
the session. One can now run scripts mapping network drives.

For applications needing to connect to a server one final step needs to be
completed and that is modification of the Host file. In this case there were
two servers I needed to connect to; Exchange and a Corporate Database. In
the host file I entered the server FQDN and IP address.

I hope this helps for those looking at similar situations.