trying to set up a remote access RAS line on XP Pro

jp

May 27, 2005, 11:54:25 AM5/27/05
hi could someone tell me if i am doing something wrong here?

i am trying to set up a RAS type line on an XP pro machine..

I have remote procedure call started, remote access connectivity started and
remote access auto connection started.
the telephony service is also started...

is there anything i am missing? im dialing into the pc but it does not
autoanswer?

thanks

Robert L [MS-MVP]

May 27, 2005, 5:05:04 PM5/27/05
Not sure what you mean "set up a RAS type line on an XP pro machine". Assuming you want to use Remote Desktop Connection, you need to enable remote access. this page may help, remote desktop
... Does XP RDC support multiple remote user sessions ... How to enable Remote
Desktop How to enable remote access on an XP machine ...
www.howtonetworking.com/rdesktop.htm

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services. Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

Sooner Al [MVP]

May 27, 2005, 5:17:00 PM5/27/05
Additionally, to configure RAS on a XP box...

****************
Configure RAS on Windows XP
To configure the computer for incoming connections, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.
3. Double-click Create a new connection to start the New Connection Wizard.
4. Under Network Connection Type, click Set up an advanced connection, and then click Next.
5. Click Accept incoming connections, and then click Next.
6. Click the modem from the list of devices, and then click Next.
7. Select either of the options to allow Virtual Private Connections, and then click Next.
8. Click to select the check boxes for the users whom you want to be able to authenticate when
the device connects to the computer, and then click Next.
9. Make sure that the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) check box is selected, click Next, and then
click Finish.

Those instructions were taken directly from this KB article, ignoring the PocketPC and ActiveSync
references...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;818199

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)