"Remote Assistance Failed....."

Richard

Oct 23, 2005, 11:28:03 PM10/23/05
I get the message “Remote Assistance Failed. Please Try Again” when I respond
to a request for RA. RA used to work fine, but now the error. I’m running XP
Pro SP2 and all current updates. I’m behind a SpeedStream router with port
3389 open. Tried bypassing the router – same result. I use RA to help my
Dad with his PC (also XP Pro SP2, but no router) both are broadband
-Earthlink (me) and Charter (Dad). I’ve read many forums and MS sites on the
subject, but have had no success. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Richard

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Oct 24, 2005, 11:40:21 AM10/24/05
do a simple test. can you telnet remote public IP port 3389?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

Richard

Oct 25, 2005, 11:32:02 PM10/25/05
Thank you so much for your time to reply to my dilema. I entered "telnet
3389" from the cmd prompt and got: "Could not open connection to the host, on
port 23: connect failed". What now?

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Oct 26, 2005, 12:34:01 AM10/26/05
the telnet default pointing to port 23. You should do telnet ip_address 3389, for example, telnet 4.2.2.1 3389.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

Richard

Oct 26, 2005, 12:50:02 AM10/26/05
pls forgive my ignorance but i'm having trouble getting a handle on this.
what do i use for the ip address? also, since i'm the "expert" responding to
the RA request, why is my port forwarding important?
if you could, pls give me detailed instructions how to proceed.

Richard

Oct 27, 2005, 12:20:01 AM10/27/05
Aloha Robert,
While experimenting with various things, my PC was down for a few days, so
I'm wondering if you had a response to my last querry?