'Setup is restarting' loop! Help!

Game@discussions.microsoft.com Matthew Game

Apr 15, 2005, 5:02:01 PM4/15/05
Hi people. I have recently bought XP Professional for my desktop (Dell
Inspiron 8200) as I have been running Win 2K and wanted to bring the dell
line with my laptop etc.

I have run the XP disc from within windows and gone through the setup
programme, but now my pc is not starting! It starts up with the dell picture,
then goes to the XP loading screen, then says 'Setup is restarting' on a
light blue background. The pc then shuts down and re-starts - to do exactly
the same again.

I have tried putting the XP Disc in and re-starting, as well as trying to
re-start with the Win 2K discs, but absolutely nothing seems to be working!
HELP Please!!!

Matt

Andrew E.

Apr 15, 2005, 7:41:02 PM4/15/05
Did set-up finish or even start...I believe thiers a compatibility conflict
with
xp and 2000,a sure way of installing xp,boot to xp cd,(adjust the BIOS for
this),then at xp info screen select,install xp,new copy,delete the
partition(2K),
create one,then xp formats the hd and installs auto.

Michael Stevens

Apr 16, 2005, 2:20:17 AM4/16/05
In news:5B8A9BB0-1FA8-4410...@microsoft.com,
Andrew E. <eckr...@msn.com> respectfully replied ;-)

And Andrew E conveniently leaves out you will lose all data on the Win 2k
partition. Use extreme caution following his advice.
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpn...@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

scotty

Jan 6, 2009, 2:54:06 PM1/6/09

scotty

Jan 6, 2009, 3:00:04 PM1/6/09
I am having the same problems, but never did ask for the product key-
I re formatted my hard drive using the disk that came with the hard drive-I
was having problems after about 2 years using the hard drive, so I formatted
and tried re installing windows xp OEM. I have tried so many times I give up.
"Windows then formatted the hard drive" it asked about partitions. Can"t
remember, but it just keeps going back to this-it says windows will continue
to install once you reboot your system-be sure that there is nothing in drive
"A" floppy drive, then it starts the same thing all over again, loading stuff
then ask about repair, or keep the same configurations. I am lost on this one.