Sysprep, msoobe.exe unknown software exception (0xc06d007e)

Werner Pertl

Feb 18, 2008, 10:26:02 AM2/18/08
I'm posting my problem to this moderated newsgroup and hope a Microsoft
employee has a solution to offer, cause i found several postings on the web
of people having the same problem, but no real solution for it.

I'm deploying windows xp to some new computers by using images and therefore
i'm using sysprep. when i run sysprep (reseal) on a machine which is ready to
be imaged and afterwards boot the computer again i get the following error
message:

msoobe.exe Application Error
Unknown software exception (0xc06d007e) occurred
in the application...

On other posts I read that this error seems to be caused by Windows Media
Player 11 installed on the system, so i tryed to uninstall and run sysprep
again, afterwards it works. but i dont want to install WMP11 manually on the
computer after the deployment of the image. So there has to be another
solution....

Please help!

George Yin(MSFT)

Feb 19, 2008, 7:41:43 AM2/19/08
Hello,

Thank you for your post. I will be assisting you on this issue.

Based on your description, I understand that you used sysprep to deploy
your system image. The "msoobe.exe Application Error" occurred after you
rebooted the computer. However, everything went fine once you uninstalled
the Windows Media Player 11.

Based on some research, I found that this was caused by a dll file
(msobmain.dll) related to Windows Media Player 11 not getting updated to
the correct version. This problem can be resolved by applying a hotfix
according to the following article:

When you use the System Preparation tool and the Sysprep.inf file to update
drivers on a Microsoft Windows XP image, the File Signature Verification
tool may report that some drivers are not digitally signed:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894871/en-us

Please reboot the system after you apply this hotfix. Try the sysprep and
please let me know how it goes.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Sincerely,
George Yin
Microsoft Online Support

George Yin(MSFT)

Feb 22, 2008, 6:56:59 AM2/22/08
Hello,

I am writing in to see if you have gotten a chance to try the suggestion.
If there are any updates on your side, please let me know so that we can
work together to resolve the issue.

Werner Pertl

Feb 29, 2008, 1:09:18 PM2/29/08
Hi George,

> I am writing in to see if you have gotten a chance to try the suggestion.
> If there are any updates on your side, please let me know so that we can
> work together to resolve the issue.

Sorry that it took such a long time, but i was ill a few days.

Now I had the chance to test your solution. I ordered the hotfix, installed
it on my system, started sysprep and took a image again.

Everything works fine now! KB894871 ist the perfect solution :-)

Thank you very much for your help!

Werner

George Yin(MSFT)

Mar 3, 2008, 4:18:53 AM3/3/08
Hello,

Thank you for the reply. It is great to hear that it works!

If you need any further assistance, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day!

alexenjen

May 22, 2008, 12:15:00 PM5/22/08

I'm having close to the same problem. The difference is, I ran Sysprep
already and I'm now stuck in reboot limbo. Upon login, I get this
error: Sysprep - MSOOBE.exe Application Error

How do I remove the sysprep process or fix the MSOOBE.exe error

marco radoux

Aug 19, 2008, 1:02:12 PM8/19/08
hello there,

we have the same problem with this error using a windows xp home
installation.

because of not working hardware we had to change the mainboard
and afterwards the hdd. then we moved the old installation via an
imaging tool to the new hard-drive.

now with every start i get the message to activate windows, but then
i get the msoobe.exe-error ...

i installed the described hotfix and deinstalled wmp11 => without
result.

is there a way to get our installation working ? this would be very helpful.

thanks for your reply.

greetings marco.