Re: Migrating from windows xp home edition to windows xp professional

Shenan Stanley

Feb 24, 2006, 12:49:27 AM2/24/06
SummerCoke wrote:
> I have a big pool of computer client in my company that is running
> xp home edition and we are planning to upgrade all to xp
> professinal edition.
>
> I am wondering what is the best way to perform these upgrades, do a
> clean install on all xp home or run a upgrade package to convert it
> into professional edition.
>
> My concern is will the upgrade package very relieable in upgrading
> xp home to professional edition ? any help is very much epreciated.

The upgrade from XP Home to XP Professional is perhaps the smoothest of all
upgrades.
The differences between the two OSes are pretty small.

Although there are many reason to do clean installs - I don't see your
situation as one of them.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Andrew E.

Feb 24, 2006, 2:14:27 AM2/24/06
These mvps where do they get those ideas that are posted......
If you chk any microsoft division TechNet,MSDN,etc They specifically say
thier is no upgrade from home to pro,the upgrade is for older windows OS.
Although its possible to install pro over home,a clean install is the way
to go...

"SummerCoke" wrote:

> Hi All,

> I have a big pool of computer client in my company that is running xp home
> edition and we are planning to upgrade all to xp professinal edition.
>
> I am wondering what is the best way to perform these upgrades, do a clean
> install on all xp home or run a upgrade package to convert it into
> professional edition.
>
> My concern is will the upgrade package very relieable in upgrading xp home
> to professional edition ? any help is very much epreciated.
>

> --
> Bernard goh

Shenan Stanley

Feb 24, 2006, 3:39:38 AM2/24/06

Andrew E. wrote:
> These mvps where do they get those ideas that are posted......
> If you chk any microsoft division TechNet,MSDN,etc They
> specifically say thier is no upgrade from home to pro,the upgrade
> is for older windows OS. Although its possible to install pro over
> home,a clean install is the way to go...

Andrew,

You are mistaken/incorrect/wrong.

Windows XP Home to Windows XP Professional is not only a valid upgrade
option - but the easiest and least painful in most cases - because the
change for the user is minor to none - dependent on what the actual user
does - it may accomplish more for the network administrator than anyone.

Let's take your post and see where it went wrong..

You wrote:
"These mvps where do they get those ideas that are posted......"

From the Internet, books and actual day-to-day experience with the products
we voluntarily support here in the newsgroups. While we do make mistakes on
occasion - I'm afraid on this one - it is not an MVP (but you) that has made
an error in your post.

You wrote:
"If you chk any microsoft division TechNet,MSDN,etc They
specifically say thier is no upgrade from home to pro,the upgrade
is for older windows OS."

Wow - pretty bold statement. Incorrect as well.
It doesn't take much research at all to come up with supported upgrade paths
for Windows XP straight from a Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

Windows XP supported upgrade paths
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292607

That article clearly shows a path from Windows XP Home Edition to Windows XP
Professional Edition..
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292607#XSLTH3140121123120121120120

Even external (non-Microsoft sponsored) confirm this:

What are the supported upgrade paths to Windows XP?
http://www.jsifaq.com/subI/tip4300/rh4349.htm

Now maybe you have a legitimate beef with the ability to upgrade in the
statement that sometimes occurs when someone tries to upgrade a Windows XP
Home Edition (SP2) machine to Windows XP Professional using a non-SP2
version of the installation media:

"Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is
newer than the version on the CD."

If so - even that has a simple solution.. You slipstream the Service Pack 2
patch into your installation media so that the Service pack level of what
you have installed (Windows XP Home Edition SP2) is the same as the
installation media you are going to use to upgrade with (Windows XP
Professional SP2.)

Maybe you have another beef if you try to use an OEM copy of Windows XP
Professional to "upgrade" anything without formatting the system drive
first. Legitimate - sure - because an OEM copy of Windows XP does not have
the ability to upgrade - only perform a clean installation. One of the
(some say many) disadvantages of the admittedly less expensive OEM version
of the OS.

You wrote:
"Although its possible to install pro over

home, a clean install is the way to go..."

This is more of an opinion. It can be right/wrong dependent on the needs of
the end-user(or administrator in this case.) Said user/administrator will
have to decide.

Perhaps they do not have as much to spend and decided to buy all OEM copies
of Windows XP Professional instead of a volume license or retail/upgrade
editions. Then their decision is made - they must clean install the OS.

Perhaps they want to make sure the upgrade is as painless on the end-users
(and them in the end) as possible - then their best choice in my opinion is
an upgrade from Home to Professional. They use up some of the user's time,
gain all sorts of abilities useful to them to control the machine remotely
and manage it better in a network environment and the user barely notices a
difference the next time they log into the machine.

A clean install is not always best. It is not always the fastest solution.
And in the case given by the OP, I would personally try and get a volume
license and upgrade all my machines to Windows XP Professional, create a
domain and gain a lot of needed control over the machines - even if I didn't
convert the users to strictly domain logons "right away".

Andrew, If possible in the future - please do some research before posting
hastily on a subject. You'll end up likely helping yourself as much as the
OP. Your never too old to learn and you will never learn any younger than
you are right now.

Michael Stevens

Feb 24, 2006, 4:22:48 AM2/24/06
In news:%23J4ma3R...@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Shenan Stanley <newsh...@gmail.com> replied with a ;-)

Andrew E is a true idiot, not because he is stupid, but because he has
decided to make a stand on such a easily disputed fact of software fact. He
is a newsgroup terroist, he has no agenda other than to disrupt the
newsgropups. For what ever agenda he has determined viable to that it is
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpn...@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

Shenan Stanley

Feb 24, 2006, 4:26:39 AM2/24/06
Michael Stevens wrote:
> Andrew E is a true idiot, not because he is stupid, but because he
> has decided to make a stand on such a easily disputed fact of
> software fact. He is a newsgroup terroist, he has no agenda other
> than to disrupt the newsgropups. For what ever agenda he has
> determined viable to that it is

All I will say is that I have seen many posts by Andrew E..
I will respond to them in the same manner as I would anyone else as much as
I can stand.
*grin*

Michael Stevens

Feb 24, 2006, 5:07:57 AM2/24/06
In news:D6756E96-E22A-434B...@microsoft.com,
Andrew E. <eckr...@msn.com> replied with a ;-)

> These mvps where do they get those ideas that are posted......
> If you chk any microsoft division TechNet,MSDN,etc They specifically
> say thier is no upgrade from home to pro,the upgrade is for older
> windows OS. Although its possible to install pro over home,a clean
> install is the way to go...

You are so stupid it is impossible to comprend how stupid you really are!!
I have referrenced the link that tells you exactly what versions of retail
XP are eligible for upgrading and you are so stupid you cannot understand
it. What does a TechNet MSDN link have to do with a retail users experience?
I can answer for you, and it means nothing for either the TechNet , MSDN or
retail version. They are all valid installs if installed under the terms of
their license.
And Andrew E's advice is BS. You only have to access the Microsoft web site
to see how full of it he is.

Telesales Pete "No Expert!!!"

Feb 24, 2006, 9:38:27 AM2/24/06
when you two have finally finished growing your ego's and heads perhaps you
could make your way to the exit !!! :-@

--
if at first you dont succeed try try LINUX!!!

Please take my answers anyway you like, i am no expert but i do like to try
and help anyone i can ;-)

Shenan Stanley

Feb 24, 2006, 9:50:07 AM2/24/06
Telesales Pete "No Expert!!!" wrote:
> when you two have finally finished growing your ego's and heads
> perhaps you could make your way to the exit !!! :-@

Just what egos were grown in this thread?

There was an attempt to prevent misinformation from being believed by the
OP.
I see no ego involved here - especially with the past record of the
misinformation responder.

I presented a point-by-point counter-argument, much like anyone would in an
actual debate. I miss the ego part.

Ron Martell

Feb 24, 2006, 10:48:30 PM2/24/06
"SummerCoke" <Summe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I have a big pool of computer client in my company that is running xp home
>edition and we are planning to upgrade all to xp professinal edition.
>
>I am wondering what is the best way to perform these upgrades, do a clean
>install on all xp home or run a upgrade package to convert it into
>professional edition.
>
>My concern is will the upgrade package very relieable in upgrading xp home
>to professional edition ? any help is very much epreciated.

I presume that you have a current or anticipated future need for at
least one of the specific features or functions that are found in XP
Pro but which are not included in XP Home?

Because if that is not the case then there is no advantage to be had
by making this upgrade. Both versions are produced from the same
source code base and there is zero difference in performance or
stability between the two.

That said, the upgrade from Home to Pro is about as simple and as
bulletproof as any operating system upgrade can ever be.

I agree with Shenan Stanley completely on this.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Michael Stevens

Feb 25, 2006, 6:23:38 AM2/25/06

"Telesales Pete "No Expert!!!"" <spamyo...@kissmybutt.com> wrote in
message news:F06E0F31-1571-4955...@microsoft.com...

> when you two have finally finished growing your ego's and heads perhaps
> you
> could make your way to the exit !!! :-@

I know you are not familiar with Andrew E. but he is a dangerous prescience
in the newsgroups, and I am not stroking my ego. You have little credibility
and should not be making judgments toward any veteran contributors to the
newsgroups.