Printing to a shared printer from UNIX

Bobby

Jan 3, 2003, 12:57:55 PM1/3/03
I have a shared printer on my Windows XP Professional
workstation. Using another Windows XP workstation I can
browse and print to that printer. If I try to setup the
printer on one of our UNIX servers and print to the shared
printer the UNIX server can not find that printer. The
printer is a local printer attached to LPT1. Has anyone
tried this before and been successful?

Bobby

Bruce Sanderson

Jan 6, 2003, 8:20:14 PM1/6/03
Usually (unless Samba or equivalent is running), UNIX can not print to
"shared" printers using Microsoft Windows Networking.

If you have Samba or equivalent Microsoft Windows Networking support on your
UNIX computer, make sure that the printer's Share Name has less than 12
characters and no embedded spaces.

Without Samba (or equivalent) UNIX usually uses lpr/lpd to print. Windows
XP installs the lpr part but not the lpd part by default. To add lpd
support:

Open Add/Remove Programs, click Add/Remove Windows Components
Add a check mark to Other Network File and Print Services (the Details will
show only one item - Print Services for Unix)
Click Next
You may get prompted for the Windows XP CD

You should now be able to print to the printer using lpr/lpd.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP

"Bobby" <bgth...@freemanhealth.com> wrote in message