angry XP home user

John

Feb 2, 2004, 1:50:16 AM2/2/04
I have just read every post and reply since 12-01-03 that
had anything to do with CPU usage, page file usage,
virtual memory, svchost or computers running slow.
All the replies are the same. That it is a virus or spy
ware. Everyone says to update your virus scan, scan with
ad-aware, scan with spybot. I have done all of this but I
have never found a virus with any of the recomended virus
scans, yes mine is updated so don't even ask me that. Ad-
aware and spybot did find stuff and I had them fixed.

So why am I still having problems? Has any of the above
corrective actions realy fixed anything? I doubt it.
Is there realy anyone here that knows how to get a
computer running the way it should?

I'm starting to think this is something microsoft has in
their software to get more money out of people by calling
tech support.
I had my computer for a year and had no problems until my
warranty expired on Nov. 21. After that date I have had
nothing but headaches trying to get this working again.
Microsoft will not help you unless they get a credit card
number first.
If XP is so great then why are so many people having the
same exact problem. I wonder how many people there realy
is that have this problem, the ones that come to this
site are only a few compared to how many own XP through
out the world.
Has anyone ever stopped their computer from having such a
high page file usage or stopped the CPU from using 100%
and got it running the way it should by using a virus
scan, ad-aware or spybot?
I have XP home and Mcafee virus scan that I run everyday
and check for updates everytime I get on the internet.

Shenan Stanley

Feb 2, 2004, 2:08:25 AM2/2/04

Nice rant, John - but you do realize that the number of complaints about
high CPU vs the number not complaining (either because they do not have the
problem or do not know about these forums) is humongous? I do not have the
problem you speak of. Neither do the 1000's of machines I administer.

Here is my suggestions..

Spybot and AdAware are not the end-all anti-spyware apps. I suggest getting
Hijack This! and The Cleaner (use the 30 day trial) and scan with them.
CWSShredder is also an option you should investigate.

Check your event logs.. (Start -> Run -> eventvwr) See if you notice any
errors popping up consistently.

Uninstall (I know this will sound weird) McAffee for a bit (keep the
firewall ON during this time) and see if that makes any difference. Install
(temporarily - I am sure you paid for McAfee) another AV software - like the
free AVG (grisoft) and scan with it.

Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and bring up the task manager - which process is taking
up the processor? Perhaps that is the process you should be concerned with.

Log onto your computer with another user.. Does this user have the same
issue as the original? (You may have to create another user, depending on
your current setup.)

Have you checked your hard drive for errors lately?

Have you uninstalled (add/remove programs in the control panel) any programs
you don't want/don't recognize? (The Windows Updates are ones you really
likely SHOULD NOT uninstall, unless you can remember installing a certain
one right before you had the problem..)

Come back here and give us some fact about what you found.. Which process is
peaking.. What you have tried.. What spyware/adware/malware/trojans you
found with the apps mentioned in this reply.. Etc. Maybe we can better
pinpoint your problem.

And as for your question - yes - removing spyware/adware has increased the
performance of MANY machines with problems similar to yours.

--
<- Shenan ->

JAX

Feb 2, 2004, 2:10:56 AM2/2/04
Calm down John. Look at the Task Manager and see what is eating the system
resources. You can do that by either r-clicking the task bar and choosing TM
or by pressing Ctl+Alt+Delete. Whatever is eating the resources can be
stopped from running at boot, either from the properties of the offending
program or by going to Start>Run and typing "msconfig" (no quotes) and on
the startup tab un-checking the offender.

With nothing but this OE running, my TM shows 0% of CPU usage, bumping to 1%
occasionally.

HTH, JAX
BTW, run a virus scan and addware program!! <grin>

"John" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

anon...@discussions.microsoft.com

Feb 2, 2004, 3:19:51 AM2/2/04
>.
>Had the same with my H/P after the year was up.didnt run
great till I removed All the H/P and AOL crap that didn't
need to be there.add/remove programs.Ad-aware good--
msconfig thing worked good--more RAM good--bigger faster
hard drive OK 120 gig 7200rpm.nothing worked beter than
getting rid of the H/P toolbar!hope you don't have an H/P
or comcrap puter.Oh and to save a couple of bucks (when
your antivirus runs out) try
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/windowsxp/antivi
rus.asp from microsofts web site Computer Associates
offer 1 year free.Caught 4 trojans that Mcafee missed!you
can always upgrade to a different OS like LindowsOS 4.0
operating system.you can find them at walmart.com.or hit
the link http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?
product_id=2293918&cat=86796&type=19&dept=3944&path=0%
3A3944%3A3951%3A41937%3A86796 199 bucks comes with
Lindows.my sister loves it.I like my XP. Good luck!

anon...@discussions.microsoft.com

Feb 2, 2004, 3:24:50 AM2/2/04
>.

Drop a 64mb video card,add 512 RAM bout another 125
bucks you'll have a kick ass box!!!!!!!!!!!
>AMD 1.4 GHz Duron processor with 3DNow! technology
200 MHz frontside bus
128 MB SDRAM, expandable to 2 GB
266 MHz memory speed
40 GB Ultra-ATA 100 hard drive, 5400 rpm (total
accessible capacity varies depending on operating
environment)
52x CD-ROM drive
Integrated video with up to 8 MB shared video memory
Integrated AC '97 audio
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet connection
ATX mid-tower case (17.5"D x 7.5"W x 15"H)
Available external drive bays: two 5.25-inch, two 3.5-
inch
Available slots: 2 PCI
Serial port
Parallel port
2 USB 1.1 ports
104-key keyboard
2-button mouse with wheel
Audio port (line-in, line-out, mic-in)
Stereo speakers
1-year warranty, return to Microtel

anon...@discussions.microsoft.com

Feb 2, 2004, 3:36:39 AM2/2/04
>.
>Web browsing including pop-up ad blocking
Sending and receiving email
Contact management with address book
Instant messaging
Playing audio CDs and MP3 files
Networking printers and PCs, including Windows-based
models
Battleship, Mines, Poker, Potato Guy, Tron, Galactic
Invaders and BreakOut II games, plus Tux Typing
Lindows.com OpenOffice Suite is compatible with most
Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents

Microtel SYSMAR746 PC With 1.4 GHz Duron
$199.98
or a kick'n'system
AMD 2.0 GHz Athlon XP 2400+ processor with 3DNow!
Technology
266/200 MHz Frontside Bus
256 MB 266 MHz DDR Memory, expandable to 2 GB
One PC266 DDR DIMM Socket available
60 GB Ultra ATA-100 Hard Drive / 5400 RPM (total
accessible capacity varies depending on operating
environment)
52x CD-ROM drive
3.5 inch floppy disk drive
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet Connection
56 kbps modem
Integrated video with up to 32 MB shared, default setting
16 MB
Integrated AC'97 Micro ATX tower case (15.4"D x 7"W x
14.2"H) Available external drive bays: one 5.25-inch, one
3.5-inch; one 3.5-inch internal
Available slots: 2 PCI, 1 AGP 4x
Serial port
Parallel port
6 USB 2.0 ports (two front-mounted)
104 key keyboard
2 button mouse w/wheel
Audio Port (Line-in, Line-out, Mic-in)
Stereo speakers
1 year warranty, return to manufacturer
Operating System is not included.needs only a monitor,and
sounds like you have one from your xp.

Big Daddy Answer Machine

Feb 2, 2004, 1:56:51 PM2/2/04

You, wouldn't, by chance have an HP printer? If so i will
stake my useless reputation on that being the problem. HP
drivers are so bad, they are now on GWs'axis of evil
list, taking place of iraq. i would update drivers on the
printer and then google your printer model number with
the word 'problem' and see what's out there ( example:
HP2110 driver problem). heres an excerpt of an example
(mine)of what is adi about HP drivers:
"Background HP Image Editor task installed by the drivers
for the HP OfficeJet K60 & G85 (hpoevm07) and HP PSC 2100
& 2200 (hpoevm08) series of multifunction
printers.Recommendation :
This task is bad press for HP. Almost all Windows 2000/XP
users who install an HP PSC 2100 or 2200 series printer
immediately complain of their PCs having become extremely
slow and of "HPOEVM07.exe is not responding"
or "HPOEVM08.exe is not responding" errors on shutdown.HP
have issued a fix for it for HPOEVM08 which, strangely
enough, is actually on the CD that your printer comes
with, but it does not get installed automatically (that's
plain silly!).o install the fix drill down to the
Util\CCC\ImageEditor folder on the software CD and copy
the file HPQVWR08.EXE from that CD folder to the
following folder on your C: drive : "C: \ Program Files
\ Hewlett-Packard \ Digital Imaging \ Bin". Then reboot.

source is
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_h.h
tm

my AIM is bababuuee
GAB

Carl

Feb 2, 2004, 3:11:58 PM2/2/04
After all that bellyacheing , whats wrong with your PC ? (operater error)

anon...@discussions.microsoft.com

Feb 2, 2004, 6:43:30 PM2/2/04
>.
>www.nomoreH/P.com/baddrivers/conflictXP_settorunjunky/aft
er1year.amt my next computer I'm putting
together myself starting with good barebone P-4 loys of
RAM and XP PRO.I love my XP,dislike my H/P problem,with
bad help-support from god knows where.My guess ia India!
some 5 year old chinise kid putting it 2 gether.

cquirke (MVP Win9x)

Feb 8, 2004, 9:44:42 AM2/8/04
On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 22:50:16 -0800, "John"

>I have just read every post and reply since 12-01-03 that
>had anything to do with CPU usage, page file usage,
>virtual memory, svchost or computers running slow.

Was that your problem; PC sunning slowly?
Were there stability issues as well?

>All the replies are the same. That it is a virus or spy
>ware. Everyone says to update your virus scan, scan with
>ad-aware, scan with spybot. I have done all of this but I
>have never found a virus with any of the recomended virus
>scans, yes mine is updated so don't even ask me that. Ad-
>aware and spybot did find stuff and I had them fixed.

The trouble with the usual advice on malware is posters usually
recommend av scanning approaches that are inherently lame, when used
to detect *active* malware - online scans, scanning from Windows-based
av, that sort of thing. How can you rely on these, when the malware
is already active before the av gets off the ground?

See http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/virtest.htm on formal virus
scanning. Just because the combination of MSware + NTFS is too lame
to do this does not make it any less necessary if you want to be able
to believe the results with confidence.

>So why am I still having problems? Has any of the above
>corrective actions realy fixed anything? I doubt it.
>Is there realy anyone here that knows how to get a
>computer running the way it should?

Yes, but doing it purely via exchange of text messages is a challenge.

>I'm starting to think this is something microsoft has in
>their software to get more money out of people by calling
>tech support.

I don't think so - tech support is rarely a profit center, and OEMs
(including myself) who are obliged to support MSware tend to resent
anything that increases the support load.

>I had my computer for a year and had no problems until my
>warranty expired on Nov. 21. After that date I have had
>nothing but headaches trying to get this working again.

Many things can slow a PC:
- interactions between software
- retries on failing HDs or LAN connections
- bad CMOS settings
- malware and other hoggy software
- connected devices that "don't respond"
- specific MS and 3rd-party software issues

Some of these will slow down without crashes or instabilities, others
will cause crashes as well.

For starters, I'd compare mileage:
- in Safe Mode
- in normal mode, with MSConfig suppression of startup axis
- while disconnected off the network (LAN *and* Internet)
- with peripherals (printer, scanner etc.) disconnected

I'd also do the prelim:
- http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/bthink.htm
- http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/virtest.htm

This is basically what I do when tshooting PCs that are brought to be
fixed - and yes, they go out working properly :-)

Other things less easy to retro-fit include intelligent partitioning
so that data is safer and speed is maintained even when the system
gets fully loaded. In Feb 2004, I'd still avoid NTFS, BTW.

Consumer Asks: "What are you?"
Market Research: ' What would you like us to be? '