How to speed up the loading of XP?

Skip

Mar 28, 2004, 12:19:13 PM3/28/04
Here are just a few sites to get you started. The other
things to do would be to defrag if needed and disk
cleanup, run your virus scan and download a program to
get spyware out of your system. These sites will explain
how to do all of the above....Good luck.
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm

Chris L

Mar 28, 2004, 12:20:40 PM3/28/04
You can disable the following safely.

Alerter
Clipbook
Computer Browser
Fast User Switching
Human Interface Access Devices
Indexing Service (Slows the hard drive down)
Messenger
Net Logon (unnecessary unless networked on a Domain)
Netmeeting Remote Desktop Sharing (disabled for extra security)
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager (disabled for extra security)
Remote Procedure Call Locator
Remote Registry (disabled for extra security)
Routing & Remote Access (disabled for extra security)
Server
SSDP Discovery Service (this is for the utterly pointless "Universal P'n'P",
& leaves TCP Port 5000 wide open)
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Telnet (disabled for extra security)
Universal Plug and Play Device Host
Upload Manager
Windows Time
Wireless Zero Configuration (for wireless networks)
Workstation

--
Chris L

Will Denny

Mar 28, 2004, 12:29:10 PM3/28/04
Hi

An explanation of why each of those Services can be disabled would help.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Chris L" <chri...@comcast.net> wrote in message news:NaKdne8eQNb...@comcast.com...

---

anon...@discussions.microsoft.com

Mar 28, 2004, 2:53:17 PM3/28/04
>.
>Ya,don't do this if you do the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper you
wont have internet

anon...@discussions.microsoft.com

Mar 28, 2004, 3:00:57 PM3/28/04

all,,,ok,,,restart,,,check box dont show again,,,go to
line 148 right side remove unchecked items from msconfig
run it and remove them all,,,go to you antivirus and go
through yor options in it and check run at startup,(thats
all you need loaded at startup anyway,unless you have a
firewall going,then start that too),if you don't have a
fire wall go to microsofts update page and read on
securing your computer,or hit this
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/windowsxp/antivi
rus.asp
it's the ms link to antivirus,the one from CA is free for
a year,it's really good,and comes with a free year
firewall also.

Will Denny

Mar 28, 2004, 3:45:56 PM3/28/04
<anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14bc101c414fe$50467520$a501...@phx.gbl...

You have no idea then, why the services you listed should be disabled. Next time, before posting, please get your facts correct and be able to back up your posting.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

---

Rosemary

Mar 28, 2004, 3:56:23 PM3/28/04
I am having the same problem. I used to be
able to log in quickly. Now it takes a full
60 seconds. I have already defraged the disk.
I have spy-bot search and distroy and have
gotten ride of the spy ware AND... I have disabled
all of the msconfig start up files. ALL of them. NOthing
seems to get me past the 60 second wait at login
time. The wait started about a month ago. Very
madening.
Any other suggestions?
Please write me.
rom...@comcast.net
>.

Unknown

Mar 28, 2004, 5:57:17 PM3/28/04
Where is the delay you notice? From the time power button is pushed till login
screen appears? Or, from time login till ready to operate?
"Rosemary" <rom...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Rosemary

Mar 28, 2004, 6:57:03 PM3/28/04
It is from the login screen until the icons
appear. IT says something about setting up personal
settings and sits and sits and sits. NOTE...
it's not running msconfig stuff cause I unchecked
all of it.
I sure would appreciate a solution.
1 minute in a computer's life is WAY TOO MUCH!!
Rosemary
>.

Skip

Mar 28, 2004, 8:38:08 PM3/28/04
Not an answer but a fyi...I was having same problem with
Comcast(broadband) as my ISP,they put so much stuff on
your machine(not all bad)that is time consuming at start
up...Good luck.
>.

Ken

Mar 31, 2004, 2:26:06 AM3/31/04