File Sharing Problem

Troy

Dec 28, 2002, 4:10:31 PM12/28/02
Hello,
I have an account that my son wants to be his own, So he
can download his own files and put it into a folder so no
one can go in the folder except for him... How would I do
this? I tried right clicking the folder and going to
security settigns, but the "Make this folder private" is
greyed out.. Please help

Michael S.

Dec 28, 2002, 5:06:01 PM12/28/02
Answered on the basics board.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Troy" <asdf...@aol.com> wrote in message

Ann

Dec 29, 2002, 1:11:46 PM12/29/02
On Sat, 28 Dec 2002 14:06:01 -0800, "Michael S." <user@#notme.com>
wrote:

>Answered on the basics board.

That's useful for the rest of us who have no clue as to where 'the
basics board' is! You should answer the question here so it's
available for everyone.

Ann

Michael S.

Dec 30, 2002, 4:29:24 PM12/30/02
What you state points up the problem of people who post their questions on
multiple boards. If a person crossposts to a few relevant boards, one
response on one board will go to the boards to which it is cross posted.
However, if we don't know a person has posted to more than one board and
find it as we are navigating through the various boards we cover, in order
to do as you request, then WE either have to find our original post or redo
it multiple times. If you are using the web interface, there should be a
list of the available boards. Though I will repeat my response below, when
you are covering as many boards as we cover and respond to as many posts as
we do we can't be expected to repeat our posts multiple times because one
person has made an individual post on multiple boards rather than using a
newsreader that would allow crossposting to other relevant groups with one
post.

If you are using a newsreader, checking the list of boards on a given server
should yield the board I mentioned. In deference to your request, I'm
posting my response below:

This sounds like a file ownership issue related to NTFS. Note, file
ownership and permissions supersede administrator rights. How you resolve
it depends upon which version of XP you are running.

XP-Home

Unfortunately, XP Home using NTFS is essentially hard wired for "Simple File
Sharing" at system level.

However, you can set XP Home permissions in Safe Mode. Reboot, and start
hitting F8, a menu should eventually appear and one of the
options is Safe Mode. Select it. Note, it will ask for the administrator's
password. This is not your administrator account, rather it is the
machine's administrator account for which users are asked to create a
password during setup.

If you created no such password, when requested, leave blank and press
enter.

Open Explorer, go to Tools and Folder Options, on the view tab, scroll to
the bottom of the list, if it shows "Enable Simple File Sharing" deselect it
and click apply and ok. If it shows nothing or won't let you make a change,
move on to the next step.

Navigate to the files, right click, select properties, go to the Security
tab, click advanced, go to the Owner tab and select the user that was logged
on when you were refused permission to access the files. Click apply and
ok. Close the properties box, reopen it, click add and type in the name of
the user you just enabled. If you wish to set ownership for everything in
the folder, at the bottom of the Owner tab is the following selection:
"Replace owner on subcontainers and objects," select it as well.

Once complete, you should be able to do what you wish with these files when
you log back on as that user.

XP-Pro

If you have XP Pro, temporarily change the limited account to
administrative. First, go to Windows Explorer, go to Tools, select Folder
Options, go to the View tab and be sure "Use Simple File Sharing" is not
selected. If it is, deselect it and click apply and ok.

If you wish everything in a specific folder to be accessible to a user,
right click the folder, select properties, go to the Security tab, click
Advanced, go to the Owner tab,
select the user you wish to have access, at the bottom of the box, you
should see a check box for "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects,"
place a check in the box and click apply and ok.

The user should now be able to perform necessary functions on files in the
folder even as a limited account. If not, make it an admin account again,
right click the folder, select Properties, go to the Security tab and be
sure the user is listed in the user list. If not, click add and type the
user name in the appropriate box, be sure the user has all the necessary
permissions checked in the permission list below the user list, click apply
and ok.

That should do it and allow whatever access you desire for that folder even
in a limited account.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Microsoft MVP Program:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;mvpawardintro
Associate Expert

"Ann" <annR...@asarian-host.net> wrote in message

vavud

Jan 2, 2003, 7:52:27 PM1/2/03
Michael,

Thank you for your informative advice re the Safe Mode.

What I would now like to know is why supposedly on some machines running
Home XP there is a difference. For example why simple file sharing is greyed
out and also why in folder options there is a setting to tick with "use
simple file sharing".

How do we fix it so we can also enjot this function without going into safe
mode?

Thank you in advance.

"Michael S." <user@#notme.com> wrote in message

Michael S.

Jan 3, 2003, 1:49:15 AM1/3/03
You're welcome.

What I'm about to say isn't meant to be as sarcastic as it sounds.
Nonetheless, what you describe, is a "feature" of XP Home Edition. Simple
File Sharing is enabled by default and you can't turn it off without going
into Safe Mode. Unless someone has figured some hack that bypasses this,
there all PCs with Home Edition have the same issue.

As to how you can turn this on permanently. Well, you can't, that's Home
Edition and one of the things that separates it from XP Pro. When I say you
can't, some users may have figured some hack to keep Simple File Sharing
turned off but I don't recommend such hacks, you never know how it's going
to effect your system.

Some users may have a way of doing it in the GUI, I believe there is a way
but if I'm remembering correctly, it's a bit convoluted and it still doesn't
turn "Simple File Sharing" off permanently.

I don't know if you got the impression that there are some machines running
XP Home Edition that don't have this issue but if it was what I wrote, I
apologize for that misimpression. I only meant that how you turn the
feature off depends on whether you have Home Edition or Pro. Also, in Pro,
once it's off, it stays off until you turn it on again.

Home Edition is a subset of XP Pro. The difference is some features of Pro
have been turned off in Home Edition, mostly security features such as the
ability to set permissions as you've found. Home Edition, in that regard
was designed for a completely different environment. You see, if you need
all that security, then XP Pro is the system you should have. Now before
you get the idea it's a simple matter to turn on the features that are
turned off in Home Edition, it isn't. The things that are turned off are
hardwired that way. At the core, Home and Pro are identical but their
feature sets are slightly different.

Pro can do anything Home can do plus a bit more; mostly in the area of
security and networking.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Microsoft MVP Program:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;mvpawardintro
Associate Expert

"vavud" <franco...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

vavud

Jan 3, 2003, 2:42:02 AM1/3/03
Michael,

Thank you for your prompt and most informative reply. I appreciate you
taking the time to explain in detail about this matter.

Regards

Vavud

"Michael S." <user@#notme.com> wrote in message

Michael S.