WinChat.exe doesn't work!

aska...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2005, 8:41:49 AM8/22/05
I'm running win xp pro sp2 on both my desktop & my laptop at home and
have them connected in a workgroup through my ADSL modem (SpeedTouch
580). The laptop connects wirelessly to the modem while the desktop
connects through USB.
Both computers can access the internet, file sharing works very good,
remote desktop works fine BUT winchat does not work!!

when I dial a connection to either compuer, I get "The other computer
did not respond"

I have the services "Network DDE" & "Network DDE DSDM" both working and
automatically starts on both computers.

I had winchat worked once by chance but it didn't work again after I
logged off. Now I can't have it work again.

I don't want to use other programs such as MSN messenger to do the job,
I want to use winchat.exe persay.

Could you help me please.

Askari

Aug 22, 2005, 9:07:37 AM8/22/05
By the way, Windows firewall is turned off, I'm running zone alarm
security suite but even if I turn it off I still can not use winchat.

man-wai chang

Aug 23, 2005, 9:26:22 AM8/23/05
> I don't want to use other programs such as MSN messenger to do the job,
> I want to use winchat.exe persay.

there is Miranda instant msssenger, free of advaetisements and support
msn, yahoo, icq, .... in one interface.

--
.~. Might, Courage, Vision. http://www.linux-sxs.org
/ v \

man-wai chang

Aug 23, 2005, 9:29:18 AM8/23/05
> Both computers can access the internet, file sharing works very good,
> remote desktop works fine BUT winchat does not work!!
> when I dial a connection to either compuer, I get "The other computer
> did not respond"
> I have the services "Network DDE" & "Network DDE DSDM" both working and
> automatically starts on both computers.

how did you speciy the target host? Diud you try using IP?

--
.~. Might, Courage, Vision. http://www.linux-sxs.org
/ v \
/( _ )\ Linux 2.4.31

^ ^ 9:28pm up 1:05 1 user 0.11 0.24

man-wai chang

Aug 23, 2005, 9:30:54 AM8/23/05
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308232&Product=winxp

--
.~. Might, Courage, Vision. http://www.linux-sxs.org
/ v \
/( _ )\ Linux 2.4.31

^ ^ 9:30pm up 1:07 1 user 0.07 0.20

Askari

Aug 24, 2005, 6:10:09 AM8/24/05
Thanks for being here man-wai chang,

Miranda is still a 3rd party program, isn't it ? ;)

Actually it turned into challenge with myself to overcome this problem
and use winchat itself.

In addition, a nice feature of winchat is that the other computer
should not be running winchat at the time you call it. Rather, it will
open the window of the application once it is called by other
computers. No log on processes, no need for internet connection at all.

and overall, it's already a part of my system :)

Askari

Aug 24, 2005, 6:14:28 AM8/24/05
When I open the winchat (by typing winchat in the run command from
start menu), I press the "Dial" button of the program, then I get a
list by all computers in my workgroup, then I choose the computer I
want to chat with.

by the way, I have already try using the IP but it hasn't worked.

Askari

Aug 24, 2005, 6:20:20 AM8/24/05
I've also try the link you provided above. Didn't help

I'm now thinking that the problem might be in the built in firewall of
my speedTouch 580.
I'll find out how to turn it off then I'll try again.

Remember, It's now a challenge to run the winchat specifically ;)
Thanks and keep in touch with this topic.

Any help is appreciated.

Askari

Aug 24, 2005, 12:17:47 PM8/24/05
I turned off the built in firewall of my ADSL modem. It didn't work

Anyone knows if winchat is able to connect through switches? (I guess
that my ADSL modem works as a switch in between my computers)

Askari

Aug 27, 2005, 5:45:51 AM8/27/05
Now I can run winchat with the previously mentioned hardware.

I discovered that the problem was in the network DDE & network DSDM
servises on the computer that would receive the call. although they are
set to automatically start with windows, they don't function properly
unless I restart them manually each time I log in to my user account.
Then, if another user wants to use it after I log off, he/she will need
to restart the both services in order to be able to receive calls.

Any one knows how can I solve this problem with Network DDE and Network
DSDM services?
I want to be able to receive calls since the startup of my system
without the need to restart the mentioned services manually each time I
log in, as well as different users can receive calls any time they log
in without the need to restart the services each time any user logs in.