VPN: doesn't make sense!!!

1 view

David Shorthouse

Nov 27, 2002, 2:58:03 PM11/27/02
I have an NT workstation box at work set-up to accept incoming VPN
connections. It works and I can browse machines and resources on the network
from the client. However, I cannot access any of the shares on the NT
machine itself! I always get a message that I don't have access permission.
The client is XP Pro and I have attempted to construct & manage whatever
network passwords that might be needed to access these shares, but can't
figure out what the heck is going on. This can't be a DNS or WINS problem
because I can see everything on the network, including the NT workstation
that is acting as the VPN server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Dave

Robert L

Nov 27, 2002, 5:27:20 PM11/27/02
so many possibilities. but if using net view \\computername, what do you
get? For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech.
check network tools.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech
"David Shorthouse" <davidsh...@shawnospam.ca> wrote in message

David Shorthouse

Nov 27, 2002, 6:02:36 PM11/27/02
Robert,

Thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestion and can see all the shares
through a command prompt. However, I still can't access them when I do the
same at a run command. How was your suggestion supposed to help me?

Dave

"Robert L" <bobl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Robert L

Nov 28, 2002, 11:50:45 AM11/28/02
David

I am not sure I understand the question. But, you connoted the network via
vpn and used net view \\computername (here computername is vpn server?) from
the vpn client that showed the command successful. if this is the case, try
that: net use H: \\servername\sharedname /user:administrator (here
administrator is the server administrator), and type the password when
asking. if that works, that means that the server hasn't cached credential .
If it does not work, post the error you get.

--

For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE

Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech
"David Shorthouse" <davidsh...@shawnospam.ca> wrote in message

David Shorthouse

Nov 28, 2002, 9:53:54 PM11/28/02
Robert,

Thanks again for the assistance. I see how this will map a drive (in my
case I already have a drive 'H'), but this procedure doesn't work. The error
I receive is that the server cannot be found, even though I can plainly see
it in my network neighborhood once the VPN connection has been made. I can
also ping the assigned server address and its internal IP address.

Thanks for any other suggestions you might be able to offer,

Dave

"Robert L" <bobl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Robert L

Nov 29, 2002, 12:44:02 PM11/29/02
David,

When you said "I tried your suggestion and can see all the shares through a
command prompt", did you use net view \\servername or IP? if you use net
view \\servername, you should see similar result as below if it was
successful. You also mentioned "This can't be a DNS or WINS problem because

I can see everything on the network, including the NT workstation that is

acting as the VPN server.". Have you checked the WINS data and seen both
machines listed? Try that: enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on XP.

C:\>net view \\servername

Shared resources at \\servername

Share name Type Used as Comment

---