Not able to access workgroup

Kenji Tozaki

Jan 4, 2003, 5:16:41 AM1/4/03
I need help bad...

I cannot access my workgroup from one computer.
The below is a summary.

Problem:
When I click on "View workgroup computers", I get an error massage:

Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact administrator of this server to find out if you
have permissions.

The network path was not found.

Situation:
1. This PC is WinXP Pro client.
2. The PC is 10.0.0.2/24 (call it #1for sake of discussion) and others are
10.0.0.X/24.
3. One PC is a gatway, 10.0.0.1, running FreeBSD (Samba, NAT, etc.)
4. PCs do not belong to a Domain, workgroup only.
5. TCP/IP configurations are all identical.
6. #1 cannot see any other PCs at all, but others can share folders,
(Between #2 & #3) etc. The others (#2 & #3) can see #1, but cannot access
to #1.
7. Guest account is enabled.

What has been done:
1. Enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
2. Checked for Computer Browser Service to make sure "Automatic".

Any suggestions are greatly appreciate.

Thank you.

KT

Robert L

Jan 4, 2003, 11:21:48 AM1/4/03
Kenji,

are you using class C or B or A? why xp is 10.0.0.2/24 and other are
10.0.0.x/24? Which OS are other computers? if it is browser issue, you may
want to stop computer browser on xp. For more information, go to
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech check windows>browser.

Happy New Year!

Please don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Kenji Tozaki" <kto...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Kenji

Jan 4, 2003, 7:46:26 PM1/4/03
Since IP address starts out with 10, it is Class A (first bit of an IP
adress is 0). I chose this IP address because IP address must be private IP
addresses instead of public.

The rest are 10.0.0.3 & 10.0.0.4. I numbered them sequentially for ease.
They are all WinXP Pro. Basically, the rest of PCs are configured
identically.

I don't know Computer Browser service is giving me problem, but if I turn it
off, I am not sure how PCs look for other PCs in workgroups. Are you
suggesting this because one computer act as a master?

Thanks!

Kenji

"Robert L" <bobl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Robert L

Jan 5, 2003, 6:41:23 PM1/5/03
OK. go to xp event viewer to check any errors. if there are some errors
related to browser. try to top the computer service on xp. can you use ping
or net view xp from other computers?

--

For more information, go to http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Happy New Year!

Please don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

"Kenji" <kto...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Kenji

Jan 5, 2003, 7:59:05 PM1/5/03
Dear Robert,

Event view looks peachy and others (security, system, etc) are.

I can ping both directions.

You did mention a good idea: net view command.

I can do net view by IP address and reveals all shared resources, but not by
computer name. Seems like there is problem translating netbios to IP
address. The box is checked for netbios over TCP/IP, but it's not helping.

I mapped drive by using IP address, like \\10.0.0.2\shared documents
It likes it.

This will surfice for now, but still bothers me why others computers are
having problem recognizing netbios.