Follow up re cannot ping

Peter

Apr 19, 2004, 12:12:49 PM4/19/04
This is a follow up to a problem posted a few days ago. The problem still
exists and I am hopelessly lost.
The original problem statement and Robert Lin's reply are repeated at the
end of the following set of new measurements.

Call the machines Desk and Lap.

FROM DESK
1. Can ping Desk by URL or name
2. Can ping Lap by URL.
4. Cannot ping Lap by name.
3. Can access Lap from Network Neighbourhood.
5 BROWSTAT STATUS only sees Desk. Message is "master
browser is: Desk.
1 backup server retrieved from master Desk There are 1
servers in domain WORKGROUP.
6 NETVIEW only sees Desk.
7 NETVIEW \\ path to Lap finds Lap.
8 NETVIEW \\ Lap does not find Lap.

FROM LAP
1. Can ping Lap but not Desk (by URL or name).
2. Cannot access Desk from Network Neighbourhood.
3. BROWSTAT STATUS sees Lap. Message is "master browser
name is: Lap.
1 backup server retrieved from master Lap.
2 servers in domain WORKGROUP.
4. NETVIEW sees both Desk and Lap.
5. NETVIEW \\ Lap succeeds
6. NETVIEW \\ Desk fails with error 53 (using URL or name).

I am desperate for help on this.
Peter

BELOW IS THE ORIGINAL POST

Peter" <notm...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> This longstanding problem is driving me crazy!
> I cannot access one of the computers on my simple, two computer network
> which uses a router. Both computers run WinXP.
> Computer 1 can access shared files on Computer 2.
> Computer 2 cannot even ping Computer 1.
> There are no firewalls on either system.
> All drivers are up to date.
> I have checked and rechecked the network setup, read and tried everything
> could find and failed to find an answer. (Computer 2 has even had a format
> and reinstall since this all started.)
> If I look in "computer management - event viewer - system" I find the
> following messages:
> MRxSmb (frequent error)
>
> "The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
> MOOGKP that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on
> transport NetBT_Tcpip_{29219B99-4CA0-4E96-9B. The master browser is
> stopping
> or an election is being forced." (Note: MOOGKP is the computer I am unable
> to see.)
>
> DCOM (frequent error)
>
> "DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer srv using any of the
> configured protocols."
>
> BROWSER (occasional error)
>
> "The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times
> on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{4BD099AD-8582-4B9A-A611-F52DA385803C}.
> The
> backup browser is stopping."
>
> or
>
> "The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser
> master \\MOOGKP on the network
> \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{4BD099AD-8582-4B9A-A611-F52DA385803C}. The data is
> the
> error code."
>
> Dhcp (occasional error)
>
> "The IP address lease 192.168.2.26 for the Network Card with network
> address
> 0004E22942C2 has been denied by the DHCP server 0.0.0.0 (The DHCP Server
> sent a DHCPNACK message)."

quoted from http://www.ChicagoTech.net
The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master
SYMPTOMS: 1) Event Viewer System log shows Event id: 8021 and Description:
The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master
<PDC> on the network \device\<protocol_netcard>. 2) Event id: 8032 and
many times on transport of <protocol_netcard>.
This symptom occurs because 1) your computer is a multihomed computer or
using multiple network cards in the same subnet; 2) your computer is a
master browser; 3) Your computer is running the TCP/IP protocol.
Resolutions: find the failed protocol_netcard or use browstat status (from
NT Resource Kit) to find the problem and the card. Then
1) Stop computer browser to prevents the computer from receiving computer
browse lists from other networks.
2) Remove or disable the card.
3) Unbind it from the workstation service.
4) Uncheck Client for MS Networks on the card.

--
For more and other information, go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN, Anti-Virus, Tips & Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"

Robert L [MS-MVP]

Peter

Apr 19, 2004, 10:43:39 PM4/19/04
Thanks Robert.

I meant the computers' network addresses. E.g. 192.168.23.
I have no firewalls on either computer.

Peter

"Robert L [MS-MVP]" <nor...@hotmail.com> wrote in message